If I extend my wifes contract with a new iphone3G, will it work (100%) with my 3G Sim card? She would get my Pearl for her line.

I'm not interested in waiting another year to upgrade my line. Hers is eligible for upgrade now.

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-08 05:30 AM
    Well, you will need to wait 30 days after the purchase before doing so or it can result in you getting charged the no-commitment price which would be higher than the price you are attempting to avoid with an early upgrade.

10-26-08 01:33 PM
    Would the phone need to be activated on her line within that 30 day period? Sounds like I would have to add the media services to her line and then cancel them after the 30 days.

How would the swap process from her line to mine work? Any tricks to getting the Sim swap to work?

Thanks for the reply!

10-26-08 02:43 PM
    No tricks... you need to activate and keep active on her line for at least 30 days, then after that you can switch the phone onto your line.

You will both have new two year contracts.
    10-26-08 05:18 PM
    Thanks for the advice!

10-26-08 05:53 PM
    I took my sim chip out of my BB, which has BB data on it and put it into my iPhone 3g. It works perfectly fine. Data works, everything.

You can upgrade her line to the iphone, take your SIM chip, insert it into the iphone and it'll work.

Then her sim chip will work inside the Pearl, but without BB data, you wont be able to connect in to RIM's infrastructure and do certain tasks..

BB data works in other devices. PDA and iphone data doesn't necessarily work 100% in a BB.

ATT like's to make it seem like the IMEI is absolutely 100% needed. It's not.. it's used for device tracking and that's about it.
    10-27-08 10:48 AM
    I took my sim chip out of my BB, which has BB data on it and put it into my iPhone 3g. It works perfectly fine. Data works, everything.

You can upgrade her line to the iphone, take your SIM chip, insert it into the iphone and it'll work.

Then her sim chip will work inside the Pearl, but without BB data, you wont be able to connect in to RIM's infrastructure and do certain tasks..

BB data works in other devices. PDA and iphone data doesn't necessarily work 100% in a BB.

ATT like's to make it seem like the IMEI is absolutely 100% needed. It's not.. it's used for device tracking and that's about it.

AT&T will send you an SMS on the iPhone stating that you are using another phones sim in the iPhone. Since the sim in the iPhone doesn't have an iPhone data plan, the SMS they send you states that you must stop using that sim to avoid further charges, meaning they can convert that sims data plan into an 3G iPhone data plan. They are watching for such things.
    10-27-08 11:51 AM
    I've not once received such SMS. Keep in mind I'm on a very large corporate account and I'm the one who manages the entire account. There are probably 100 or more line's with my name on them, "Generic Accounts"..

My company has 1 FAN, with about 30 BAN's. Each ban could have 5 to 100+ lines.

I've been using my BB sim card inside the iPhone for well over 2 months without a single issue. =)

Worst case, I do get an SMS, and I have my account rep fix it.
    10-27-08 12:28 PM
    My plan is to activate the iphone with her new Sim, then put the new Sim back in her old phone. Essentially, letting the iphone sit for 30 days and then call ATT for the official switch.

What do you all think?

10-27-08 06:14 PM
    I've not once received such SMS. Keep in mind I'm on a very large corporate account and I'm the one who manages the entire account. There are probably 100 or more line's with my name on them, "Generic Accounts"..

I've been using my BB sim card inside the iPhone for well over 2 months without a single issue. =)

It doesn't matter what you are on... Also, you are on a very large corporate account and you need to trick the system? Lol. This is the main reason they charge corps more for everything. CV is included in BB plans now for for personal, but is $10 extra for BES users. Go figure.
    10-27-08 11:19 PM
    Who says they charge corps more for everything?

I can get a new curve, new service, for $49 dollars, then once it arrives.. cancel the line without any penalties. Let's see a consumer do that. =P

New Curve's are listed at $179 dollars.. but because of my company's discounts, we get $130 dollars off.

My Best Pooled 450 minute plans are $32 dollars.

BB unlimited data? $35 dollars.

I'm not necessarily tricking the system on purpose. I ordered a White 16G iPhone. Then later on in the day, I asked the account rep that I need to order a Black iPhone in addition to the White iPhone.

What arrived was 2 white's and 1 black. It sat in a cabinet for a month and I decided to take it. =) No Trickery.. just being lazy and havn't called to update my line.

I switch device's so often that why call and change the data plan? I may go back to a BB eventually.
    10-28-08 10:22 AM
    Can you upgrade to the iPhone and not have to add the iPhone data plan when you upgrade?

I was going to try this on my girlfriends line, because she can upgrade but does not want to, so I started to do the upgrade online and it says you must have the iPhone data plan when you order.

I was just going to swipe out my sim card and put it in the iPhone. I did this when I upgraded to my Curve from a cell phone, and I never had to change my MEdia Net Max 200 $19.99 data. I've been using it for almost a year with no problems, and I was talking to someone at an Apple Store that was using a MEdia Net plan on his iPhone with no problems.
    10-28-08 12:05 PM
    Consumer accounts are different beasts than corporate accounts. I can do whatever I want. I can remove data plans on my lines, I can do just about anything.

Consumer accounts, there's all sorts of little requirements, penalties and fees.. That little requirement about adding iPhone data? That's only something on a consumer line.. I can order iPhone's and never even have to call Apple to activate..

I ordered 5 windows mobile phones, all free, new service.. 2 Tilts, 2 Q9h's and 1 Blackjack2.. when they arrived, I canceled all the lines..

What's funny is that even though our ATT account is very large, and our Verizon account is about 1/3rd the size, Verizon bends over backwards MORE.. I've been invited on Yachts, given free devices, free luncheons, etc.. ATT does none of that for my company.. =/

My company pay's more money per MONTH in ATT fee's, than I make in 6 year's working.
    10-28-08 12:22 PM

Sniffs,
    You will eventually get the dreaded sms saying something like "unfortunately we noticed that you are on the wrong device plan, to avoid extra charges please call 800......"
    They are catching on.
    10-29-08 07:10 PM
    I've been swapping my sims from the original plan I had for almost 2 years.

I had an bb8700, then 8800, then went to a motorola q9h, then to a bb curve, then to an att tilt, and now the iphone

Not once changed IMEI#'s or data plans. Not once got an SMS about the incorrect plan.. I did call yesterday and removed the bb data to add iphone data/visual voicemail.. but I'm wondering if they monitor corporate accounts like consumer accounts.
    10-30-08 11:36 AM
    I've been swapping my sims from the original plan I had for almost 2 years.

I had an bb8700, then 8800, then went to a motorola q9h, then to a bb curve, then to an att tilt, and now the iphone

Not once changed IMEI#'s or data plans. Not once got an SMS about the incorrect plan.. I did call yesterday and removed the bb data to add iphone data/visual voicemail.. but I'm wondering if they monitor corporate accounts like consumer accounts.
    Actually the corporate accounts get it the worst. They send the sms especially to consumers because they don't have a business picking up the tab. You really think BES costs more when you company controls it rather than BES where RIM does.
    10-30-08 02:53 PM
    I wouldn't know the costs of a RIM controlled BES. I do know the prices for a corporate BES as I'm the BES admin for my company.

1 BES/SRP key with 500 licenses? $49,000 dollars.

Plus TX support, we have TX2, that's I believe $2 grand a year.

$99 dollar license fee per BB to connect to the BES outside of that first 500.

Plus what my company pays me to maintain it, patch it, monitor it and troubleshoot connection issues to/from it.
    10-30-08 03:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD