in a sure sign that post Jobs Apple Corporation is losing its way, the ever-popular iTether application has been removed from the App Store. News of this tragic event was greeted with much weeping and gnashing of teeth and speculation on Wall Street is that this is a clear indicator of a precipitous drop in Apple's fortunes. Wall Street analysts, when pressed for advice for people who already own over-priced shares in the former darling of the NYSE from Cupertino, suggested that stockholders sell immediately and even went so far as to opine that such monumental events usually pre-saged a halt in training.

more information to follow.....

Source: Apple Pulls iTether | Tether
    11-30-11 02:58 PM
    Hahaha I needed a good laugh................

Thanks for laugh I needed it today.
    11-30-11 03:02 PM
    lol good one.
    11-30-11 03:05 PM
    weird decision by Apple, they might be preparing an alternative to the app owned by them. Anyway APPL stock is up 2.41% in today's trading so far.
    11-30-11 03:15 PM
    The OP makes some grand conclusions about Apple but the article is clearly another example of the apple eco-system closing down on users. Kindle, Kobo, B&N, audible.com, and now iTether.
    Apple is making it clear that they not only want you to buy your iPod, iPhone, iMac, iTV, etc. from them but they also want to sell you all the content at a premium.

To be fair, Apple knows how to pull them tough. Not all at once but a few here and there. They have upset their users but not enough to leave the ecosystem. After spending 200 bucks for an iPod, 200 for an iPhone4s, 1500 for an iBook an d2200 for an iMac, I can see how it is hard to leave. I call it the iClaustrophobia condition.

No choice of iPhones, no battery swap on a phone with battery problems, non-standard cables, restricted apps, anti-competitive behavior, the company sues more people than Microsoft (and Mr. Softie is a big **** already), component manufacturers committing mass suicides on a company that micromanages everything, and still they are out selling everyone. NUTS!
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-30-11 at 03:39 PM.
    11-30-11 03:34 PM
    And I am happy EVERYDAY for the closed ECO-System. Because security has been compromised one EVERY platfrom but iOS and WP7. Cert IQ buddy go learn.......

Almost as hard to leave BB when you rop 249 for a phone that has minimal apps......right? Or 599 for PB that barely works then they drop the price to 199 that's a feel good for you.
    Dude you drink more kool-aid than the Jonestown folks did......
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 11-30-11 at 03:41 PM.
    11-30-11 03:37 PM
    The OP makes some grand conclusions about Apple but the article is clearly another example of the apple eco-system closing down on users. Kindle, Kobo, B&N, audible.com, and now iTether.
    Apple is making it clear that they not only want you to buy your iPod, iPhone, iMac, iTV, etc. from them but they also want to sell you all the content at a premium.

To be fair, Apple knows how to pull them tough. Not all at once but a few here and there. They have upset their users but not enough to leave the ecosystem. After spending 200 bucks for an iPod, 200 for an iPhone4s, 1500 for an iBook an d2200 for an iMac, I can see how it is hard to leave. I call it the iClaustrophobia condition.

No choice of iPhones, no battery swap on a phone with battery problems, non-standard cables, restricted apps, anti-competitive behavior, the company sues more people than Microsoft (and Mr. Softie is a big **** already), component manufacturers committing mass suicides on a company that micromanages everything, and still they are out selling everyone. NUTS!
    You do realize this app allowed you to tether using your current smartphone data plan right? You do realize that carriers make users pay for a hotspot/tethering plan in order to tether/hotspot right?

Apple allowing the app would then allow users to bypass carrier restrictions.
    11-30-11 03:44 PM
    Accidental Post,

Security is important. Thanks I need a good laugh too.

iPhone Security Bug Lets Innocent-Looking Apps Go Bad - Forbes

The worst thing about Apple’s security violation: 114 000 IPAD owners Exposed [] Exclusive | Anti Spam Filter

Apple kicks researcher out of iOS dev program for exploiting security flaw, Microsoft swoops in | The Verge

There are many more but what's the point. I don't care if you lie to yourself about the iPhone being more secure. Just go on believing it. Who cares?

You also quoted WP7 as a safe platform but anyone that reads your posts can just contrast them against credible sources such as Bloomberg and decide who to believe.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    11-30-11 03:45 PM
    He never said iOS was the most secure. All he said was all platforms have been victims. He said iOS and WP7 are not victims of CIQ, and according to every single source reporting the story, they all say the same thing.
    11-30-11 03:51 PM
    Good lord you rehash OLD stuff over and over. I don't barge into your BB is awesome and I convinced 6 people to buy one threads. Get over yourself go back to the BB threads and leave the grown ups alone.

It seems your devices are compromised so get over it. Mine isn't and never has been.

Thank you Steve Jobs for being a ****. You kept me from the bigger jerks.

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    11-30-11 03:53 PM
    Accidental Post,
    I apologize. This is the apple thread and I told you I would stay out of it. Sorry. I honestly did not notice.

By the way, the iPad2 and iPhone are nice devices. To each his own.

Peace.
    11-30-11 03:56 PM
    I don't understand why Apple would remove this app. Blackberry has the bridge feature, which means I never have to pay $50 or more per month for a data plan for my tablet. Granted, most of the time I have WiFi, but there are times when I don't have WiFi and need an internet connection. I imagine the carriers put pressure on Apple to remove it. I could also imagine the carriers putting pressure on BB to remove their bridge app. But considering how most stores don't even have the new BB phones charged up and working it's unlikely they have much pull over BB. I can't always say this, but I'm glad to own BB products!!
    11-30-11 04:11 PM
    I don't understand why Apple would remove this app. Blackberry has the bridge feature, which means I never have to pay $50 or more per month for a data plan for my tablet. Granted, most of the time I have WiFi, but there are times when I don't have WiFi and need an internet connection. I imagine the carriers put pressure on Apple to remove it. I could also imagine the carriers putting pressure on BB to remove their bridge app. But considering how most stores don't even have the new BB phones charged up and working it's unlikely they have much pull over BB. I can't always say this, but I'm glad to own BB products!!
    It violates carrier TOS. PB bridge is only for a tablet (which some carriers have a problem with as well). This app was for tethering anything. If you want to tether, every single major US carrier has it set up that you cannot use your normal data plan and you need a tethering plan.
    11-30-11 04:17 PM
    Well call verizon and ask them if they charge for bridge and see what they say.
    11-30-11 04:24 PM
    Bridge and tether are two completely separate deals.

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    11-30-11 04:43 PM
    Well call verizon and ask them if they charge for bridge and see what they say.
    Bridging is totally different. It is much more limited.
    11-30-11 05:01 PM
    Then ask about using the bridge browser.
    11-30-11 07:23 PM
    Then ask about using the bridge browser.
    Bridging is not tethering/hotspot. Tethering allows you to use your device to provide internet to more than just a tablet. And from my experience (and the ones reported on this forum from other users), bridging speeds are horrible compared to just tethering a device to another. Same goes for hotspot. Hotspot allows you to provide a data connection to 5+ devices at the same time.

They are different.
    11-30-11 07:36 PM
    One word straws......
    11-30-11 07:43 PM
    Well, I was being just a teensy weensy bit sardonic when I made the post, particularly in light of all the "sky is falling" Chicken Little crap that's going on in the RIM space.

That said, I'm thinking of getting my daughter an iPhone 4S for her birthday in January and not (shudder!) a BlackBerry and the fact that iTether is now no longer available might make me change my mind.

I'm using Tether with my BlackBerry, and the Tether program's stated purpose is to circumvent tethering charges and (yes) essentially masquerade your traffic as web browsing on your phone. This most likely contravenes several clauses of fine print on your Terms of Service with your wireless provider.

I find it disingenuous of Tether Corp. to be surprised that Apple is taking it out of the App Store, particularly as this app's use would make the wireless companies who carry their phones somewhat miffed. As a counterpoint, it's easy to rationalize the app's use by saying the carriers are making to much money as it is, but there it is.
    11-30-11 09:05 PM
    And I am happy EVERYDAY for the closed ECO-System. Because security has been compromised one EVERY platfrom but iOS and WP7. Cert IQ buddy go learn.......

Almost as hard to leave BB when you rop 249 for a phone that has minimal apps......right? Or 599 for PB that barely works then they drop the price to 199 that's a feel good for you.
    Dude you drink more kool-aid than the Jonestown folks did......
    The closed eco system is one reason I can't embrace iPhone. Of course there are other reasons...
    11-30-11 09:14 PM
    Bridging is not tethering/hotspot. Tethering allows you to use your device to provide internet to more than just a tablet. And from my experience (and the ones reported on this forum from other users), bridging speeds are horrible compared to just tethering a device to another. Same goes for hotspot. Hotspot allows you to provide a data connection to 5+ devices at the same time.

They are different.
    I made the comment because of someone elses comment on tethering. BTW since my new phone and the beta OS browsing over bridge is just as fast as tethering is now. For me at least.
    12-01-11 06:51 AM
    i use Tether ($49) on my Torch for a while, now i use Personal Hotspot on my 4S (free)
    do we need iTether while we have the native app Personal Hotspot?

edit: got the answer.
    Last edited by hlay; 12-01-11 at 08:45 AM.
    12-01-11 08:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD