I jailbroke 2 iphone 3GS's. Since I was new to this, on one phone I said OK to store them in Cydia and the other one I didn't. I read how important it is to store them and did the tiny umbrella thing. What I read said that apple stopped signing for the older ones and that I missed the deadline. I did the tiny umbrella anyway and now I have the message in Cydia that says:

This device has SHSH's stored on file for Iphone OS/IOS: 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2

Am I safe? are the right ones stored? I was on 4.01.

Thanks,
    09-02-10 08:56 PM
    Yes. It means you can go back to 4.0.1 anytime.
    09-02-10 09:21 PM
    I never understood all that SHSH stuff... glad I don't plan on
    JBing/Unlocking my i4.
    09-03-10 12:40 PM
    For some reason Cydia shows that I have shsh's on file for 3.1.3 - 4.0 - 4.0.1...but not 4.0.2

Is that because I've never installed 4.0.2?
    09-03-10 01:56 PM
    I believe so...
    09-03-10 06:18 PM
    Not true as I have not installed 4.0.2 and Cydia says it has my SHSHs on file.
    09-03-10 07:48 PM
    Most likely, all three versions use the same signature hash.
    09-03-10 08:55 PM
    If you didn't install 4.0.2, a 4.0.2 SHSH would not be signed for you AFAIK. But you don't need it, going back to 4.0.2 would be useless to a jailbreaker.

As to what an SHSH is: whenever you restore or upgrade your firmware, Apple authorises it with an SHSH in order to ensure you are upgrading to the latest version. If the version isn't the newest, Apple will not sign it. So, storing your SHSH with Cydia or TinyUmbrella keeps the SHSH for your current firmware, so you can point iTunes to the server where the old SHSH is stored and get it to restore to that old firmware, because it thinks Apple is authorising it.
    09-04-10 04:04 AM
    Thanks everyone. I was confused because everything I read said I missed the deadline but I guess I'm OK.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-10 10:47 AM
    Thanks Josh.
    09-04-10 11:45 AM
    Glad I could be of help
    09-04-10 11:48 AM
    If you didn't install 4.0.2, a 4.0.2 SHSH would not be signed for you AFAIK. But you don't need it, going back to 4.0.2 would be useless to a jailbreaker.

As to what an SHSH is: whenever you restore or upgrade your firmware, Apple authorises it with an SHSH in order to ensure you are upgrading to the latest version. If the version isn't the newest, Apple will not sign it. So, storing your SHSH with Cydia or TinyUmbrella keeps the SHSH for your current firmware, so you can point iTunes to the server where the old SHSH is stored and get it to restore to that old firmware, because it thinks Apple is authorising it.
    Perfect explanation.

If you ever choose to go back to an old firmware, there is no jailbreak for 4.0.2 and the Dev Team has said they do not plan to make one with 4.1 coming soon. Therefore 4.0.1 or 4.0 would be the ones worth preserving. You can also store your SHSH blobs locally, but Cydia makes it extremely easy, so there's no reason not to store it there.

It's also worth noting that the 3G models are now implementing a similar signing requirement for 4.x builds. You can always force a downgrade to 3.x without an SHSH backup still.
    09-07-10 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD