I'm not looking to get into a flaming BB vs iPhone war here, but I'm wondering if an iPhone would suit me better based on the following (I don't know that much about iPhone email capability):

-I have ~10 email addresses that I check frequently. I use Berrybuzz and different ringtones to help distinguish between them.
    -2 of those email accounts are work-related (my own small business).
    -I use BIS, not BES, and use Thunderbird for email on all my computers. I do not use Outlook.
    -I would like to sync my calendar with Google Calendar which I do now through my BB and through Thunderbird's Lightning add-on.
    -I do not need push capability, 15 minute polling is fine.
    -I really want IMAP capability for 1 of my email accounts which I can't get through BIS.
    -I never use Gmail. Most of my personal email accounts are through Hotmail & Yahoo.
    -I never use BBM.
    -I surf the web fairly frequently and find my Tour's browser to be almost unusable.
    -I NEED tethering capability (currently use Tether w/ my Tour). Free would be nice
    -Wirelessly syncing podcasts from my computer to my phone would be great!
    -The app on my BB I use most is Google Maps.
    -I had to get an extended battery for my BB because I often use it all day long without being able to charge it.
    -I'm on Verizon.
    -I'm not interested in Android.

Thanks very much! I've never used an iPhone so I don't know much about how it handles email.

It's either upgrade to the touchscreen BB or an iPhone within the next couple of months.
    Last edited by Furballz; 10-13-11 at 09:22 PM.
    10-13-11 09:03 PM
    [QUOTE=Furballz;6760739]I'm not looking to get into a flaming BB vs iPhone war here, but I'm wondering if an iPhone would suit me better based on the following (I don't know that much about iPhone email capability):

-I have ~10 email addresses that I check frequently. I use Berrybuzz and different ringtones to help distinguish between them.
    -I use BIS, not BES, and use Thunderbird for email on all my computers. I do not use Outlook.
    -I would like to sync my calendar with Google Calendar which I do now through my BB and through Thunderbird's Lightning add-on.
    (There's a Google/BB sync app available)
    -I really want IMAP capability for 1 of my email accounts which I can't get through BIS.
    -I never use Gmail. Most of my personal email accounts are through Hotmail & Yahoo.
    -I never use BBM.
    -I surf the web fairly frequently and find my Tour's browser to be almost unusable.
    (You should move up to an OS7 device. You'll almost double your speed)
    -I NEED tethering capability (currently use Tether w/ my Tour). Free would be nice
    (I use the Tether app. It goes on sale frequently for as low as $25. There's also Fixmo Extend that gives you a certain amount of MB for free)
    (I use BB Podcasts app and sync them directly to my phone)
    (Again, speed boost from an OS7 device will help here)
    -I had to get an extended battery for my BB because I often use it all day long without being able to charge it.
    (I carry a 2nd battery to get around battery issues)
    -I'm on Verizon.
    (You use a lot of Google services so you should look at that as an option)

Thanks very much! I've never used an iPhone so I don't know much about how it handles email.

It's either upgrade to the touchscreen BB or an iPhone within the next couple of months.[/QUOTE
    I can try and answer some of these:

If you're on a Tour, that means you're on OS5, so you're 2 OSes behind.
    10-13-11 09:31 PM
    ok well thanks, but you only touched on blackberry stuff, which I already know all about. I'm looking for someone to tell me about the iPhone's capabilities vis-a-vis the above requirements.

I know about Tether, I use it. I know about the Google/BB calendar sync, I use it. I know about extra batteries for the BB, I use them. iPhone can't use external batteries IIRC. And when I say I'm not interested in Android, I mean it.
    10-13-11 09:34 PM
    Aside from the lack of a keyboard an iPhone is a better device for email and calendar support (frees you from BIS). I don't think your email requirements (including IMAP) would be much of an issue except for the alerts. Google calendar support is first rate (so is google mail BTW). Not sure about the battery life either, you would have to see how it worked out.

Wireless syncing is supported, browser is best in class (much better than any BB and better than any Android device (if you don't need flash). A 4S will be much faster than any OS7 device doing just about anything.
    Fuzzballz likes this.
    10-13-11 09:45 PM
    ...And you won't suffer anymore BB outage...
    I bought a month ago my 9900 and really begin to regret I didn't wait for iPhone 4S (or simply bought Galaxy SII) except the keypad of course. But this week BB outage (still not solved by us - in Belgium) is unacceptable.
    10-13-11 10:09 PM
    Is there a limit to the number of email accounts on an iPhone (like the 10 for the BB?)

thanks again
    10-13-11 11:15 PM
    As far as I know there isn't an email account limit, but it's been over a year and the max emails I've ever had is 3.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-11 05:11 AM
    On my ipad I don't use the native client at all. I use webmail. My BB is on bes and I won't hook up the ipad to exchange.

Mobile safari is worlds better than os5 but I find it okay and behind android and bbs newer versions with webkit.

Having 3 iphones in the family I'm going for an lte BB with my next upgrade. Coming from BB there is something I don't like about ios native email.

I played with the new torch on os7 and it had that wow factor I don't get from iphone.

Last edited by i7guy; 10-14-11 at 06:50 AM.
    10-14-11 06:47 AM
    On my ipad I don't use the native client at all. I use webmail. My BB is on bes and I won't hook up the ipad to exchange.

Mobile safari is worlds better than os5 but I find it okay and behind android and bbs newer versions with webkit.

Having 3 iphones in the family I'm going for an lte BB with my next upgrade. Coming from BB there is something I don't like about ios native email.

I played with the new torch on os7 and it had that wow factor I don't get from iphone.

My corporate BB is on BES which I think is excellent but I wouldn't pay to have it on my personal BB. I have hooked my iPad up to exchange and it works great (much better than BIS on my BB). I am yet to be impressed by any BB browser (I have OS6 currently).

I too played with the new OS7 torch and was completely unimpressed. The keyboard was awful and the touch screen interface felt clunky compared to an iOS device.

I am upgrading to a 4S. At least I will be able to iMessage my wife, family and friends. I only have two BBM contacts.
    10-14-11 11:30 AM
    I think you ask a valid question and will try to provide a valid answer, as you can read above, people have very strong views on both sides.
    I have had an iPhone an Android and a BB (Tour, Torch1, Bold 9930) so here goes:

the iPhone will make most users happy. It now has push e-mail and it is just beautiful. It has great web browsing and all the apps you could want. You can even download movies directly to your phone. To be fair, I don't know what the impact on battery will be with push for them because it has not been out long enough to test it. On the downside, I don't like the lack of choice and restrictiveness of apple. one screen and one button is what the iPhone 9 will look like. No keyboard.

But, why do I have a BlackBerry?
    I left because honestly I believed and still do that the Tour was way behind. No wifi, no nothing basically. I did love a great deal about BlackBerry even then but it was not enough to keep me. When the Torch came out I rushed back to BlackBerry and it was enough, just barely to keep me happy with BlackBerry. I was satisfied but not just in love with my phone.
    Then the Bold 9930 came out. It has the same web experience as the iPhone4. I even did my own time trials and it is just as good. The Youtube experience is now a real pleasure. Really! I still can't believe it. It is awesome. Think everything BlackBerry, just super fast.

So, now, I get all the good stuff from BlackBerry that I love and a user experience that is very nice for web and videos.
    But the BlackBerry really has an advantage in customization. Simple things like speed dialing with one hand and one button; Different signature block shortcuts that are a breeze; NFC. I've already ordered some smart tags I'll have in my car. Auto wifi off, blue tooth on, e-mail wife I'm leaving work, launch drivesafe.ly by just putting my phone down on the cradle is pretty cool.

If the iPhone ever releases a physical keyboard I will consider it but until they give me some choice I won't give them my business.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 10-14-11 at 12:34 PM.
    10-14-11 12:28 PM
    Then the Bold 9930 came out. It has the same web experience as the iPhone4. I even did my own time trials and it is just as good. The Youtube experience is now a real pleasure. Really! I still can't believe it. It is awesome. Think everything BlackBerry, just super fast.
    That may be true but the 4S is much faster than the 4.
    10-14-11 01:43 PM
    ...I've already ordered some smart tags I'll have in my car. Auto wifi off, blue tooth on, e-mail wife I'm leaving work, launch drivesafe.ly by just putting my phone down on the cradle is pretty cool.
    can you elaborate on this please? do you know if this feature is/will be available on the 9860?
    10-14-11 01:44 PM
    I'm not looking to get into a flaming BB vs iPhone war here, but I'm wondering if an iPhone would suit me better based on the following (I don't know that much about iPhone email capability):

-I never use BBM.
    -I'm on Verizon.

It's either upgrade to the touchscreen BB or an iPhone within the next couple of months.

Sounds like the iPhone is for you.
    10-14-11 02:31 PM
    My corporate BB is on BES which I think is excellent but I wouldn't pay to have it on my personal BB. I have hooked my iPad up to exchange and it works great (much better than BIS on my BB). I am yet to be impressed by any BB browser (I have OS6 currently).

I too played with the new OS7 torch and was completely unimpressed. The keyboard was awful and the touch screen interface felt clunky compared to an iOS device.

I am upgrading to a 4S. At least I will be able to iMessage my wife, family and friends. I only have two BBM contacts.
    Since I have an ipad imessage is irrelevant for me. I wouldn't even pay for texting if it werent for friends on other carriers with other non-blackberry devices, ie winmo, iphone and droid.
    10-15-11 05:27 PM
    Since I have an ipad imessage is irrelevant for me. I wouldn't even pay for texting if it werent for friends on other carriers with other non-blackberry devices, ie winmo, iphone and droid.
    I had the same idea, until my mom put unlimited texting into our family plan; i would've stuck with solely Google Voice, if not for that

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    10-15-11 06:22 PM
    Worth noting as a heavy email user that the iPhone's Mail app is still incapable of adding attachments directly from the program. This goes for replies to incoming emails as well as new ones. You must initiate attachments from the applicable program (like Photos or Apple's WP app, Pages), but these only allow for one file at a time per email.

The Documents to Go app will allow for multiple files (that it handles) to be attached to outgoing Mail, while I am aware of another called iFiles which will do the same, but seems like app overkill.

Horrendously counter-intuitive and just plain stupid for Apple to ignore this capability in their iOS - oh, and sorry for not addressing specific questions you posted above...
    10-16-11 11:04 AM
    iMessage from iPad is very nice but if you don't have a 3G iPad always with you, it doesn't really replace SMS. It's nice you get free in network texting though. AT&T doesn't offer this and since my wife has an iPhone (and wouldn't consider anything else), I find iMessage to be a very useful feature.
    10-16-11 12:25 PM
    Here's another question:

Can I send html-encoded email on iPhone? On BB when I want to send a clickable link it's impossible--text only.

thanks again.
    10-18-11 01:33 AM
    Here's another question:

Can I send html-encoded email on iPhone? On BB when I want to send a clickable link it's impossible--text only.

thanks again.
    Lol, it only appears to you as text only, when the email is delivered it will show as a clickable link. Send yourself an email with a webpage address and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 10-18-11 at 04:39 AM.
    10-18-11 04:36 AM
    That's true, if the recipient's email client automatically underlines http://-prefaced links. But if it doesn't, then the link will show up as text-only. I'd like to be able to send out emails that don't rely on the recipient's email client to be clickable.
    10-18-11 02:31 PM
    That's true, if the recipient's email client automatically underlines http://-prefaced links. But if it doesn't, then the link will show up as text-only. I'd like to be able to send out emails that don't rely on the recipient's email client to be clickable.
    The blackberry's own email system does as shown in the picture.
    10-18-11 02:39 PM
    Right, that's because it's set up to automatically underline links in messages that it receives if they start with http://, as are many other email clients. But not all.
    10-18-11 02:43 PM
    Right, that's because it's set up to automatically underline links in messages that it receives if they start with http://, as are many other email clients. But not all.
    It only needs to start with www. Not the whole prefix

10-18-11 03:03 PM
    ok fine, but we're missing the point--I'd like to encode in HTML
    10-18-11 03:04 PM
    ok fine, but we're missing the point--I'd like to encode in HTML
    I believe Logicmail for blackberry lets you do that, as they say, there's an app for that. Not that I see the point in it

10-18-11 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD