I just know that Google maps worked perfectly and was a first class application on the iphone....
    True but Apple had no choice in the long run. Location services and mapping is basically at the core of all the apps that folks love. The social ones. It is the "heart" of a smartphone.

Google Maps gives Google the ability to collect a lot of information about iPhone users. And to market to them with location based ads. Apple had to kick them out at least as the default provider.

But Apple also does have a responsibility to provide the same functionality since they've done so.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-03-12 07:32 PM
    I just know that Google maps worked perfectly and was a first class application on the iphone....
    ...What Apple crammed up peoples fudge briskets with IOS6 looks something like you would expect from the third world.
    Compared to Google it's literally not functional.

Notice the difference in detail alone with Google maps....
    ...Google's "street view" is first class - Apples "fly over" is small town carnival class at best.
    I don't know, either one would work for me.
    11-03-12 07:41 PM
    True but Apple had no choice in the long run. Location services and mapping is basically at the core of all the apps that folks love. The social ones. It is the "heart" of a smartphone.

Google Maps gives Google the ability to collect a lot of information about iPhone users. And to market to them with location based ads. Apple had to kick them out at least as the default provider.

But Apple also does have a responsibility to provide the same functionality since they've done so.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Not only that but Google will not license the rights to turn by turn directions, Apple had to develop their own application to gain that functionality.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    11-04-12 11:01 AM
    Interesting enough about the maps. I recently activated an ip4 with IOS6. A relative had a wedding on Friday out west of Tucson on a ranch. While Google Maps has the address north of the location and does not even list the street, the iphone had it dead on. Not trusting the new iphone map I headed off using the Google printout and got lost. Had to use the iphone to find the place. I guess it just matters what part of the world your in as to how good either one is.

If you want to see the difference the address is 6801 N. Camino Verde Tucson Arizona 85743. Its called The Oasis at Wildhorse Ranch and is a very nice although very expensive place to get married.
    11-05-12 01:25 PM
    I may be in the minority but to me they looked cheap, felt cheap and the map thing they have been hyping is total JUNK!
    ...The map isn't functional & it took significantly longer to load then the IOS 5 map.
    ...Compared to regular google map the new iphone one isn't functional, at all.
    ...This foolish stunt by Apple should help RIM out when it starts pushing BBX.

I did two tests on the new IOS 6 map and it had me in the saltwater LOL....
    ...Even the map on the 9930 is way more accurate than that.
    ...Apple really shot itself in the foot over that one.

The two people who had these phones were saying well, it's really much lighter than the other one....
    ...They were saying this like they were somehow trying to justify what they NOW had was better when it really wasn't.
    ...I'm telling ya, the phone felt CHEAP - similar to a droid device.

RIM needs to take advantage of this and quick - I'm willing to bet that the BBX will have some weight to it....
    ....Consider a Rolex watch, it's got weight because.......!

RIM needs to be all over the map thing - I'm telling ya, the new IOS map isn't functional....
    ....It's loading way slower even on LTE & isn't accurate at least 30% of the addresses you test.
    ....When you push on "my location" it will put you 1/4 of a mile at least away from where you are standing!
    So, you tested a known to be broken app and are surprised that it's broken? Shocking.

Motorola and HTC both have superior build quality to BB, if it's heft and a solid feel you want, they both have better choices. Might also help to recognize the difference between a "Droid" (Specific set of VZW android phones) and "Android" (the whole of phones on the OS)
    11-05-12 01:44 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD