Secret Button Sequence Bypasses iPhone Security

A security flaw in the iPhone allows strangers to bypass the handsets lock screen with a few button presses.

In the video below, a Brazilian iPhone customer demonstrates the quick method to circumvent an iPhones passcode-protected lock screen: tap the Emergency Call button, then enter three pound signs, hit the green Call button and immediately press the Lock button. That simple procedure gives a snoop full access to the Phone app on the iPhone, which contains the address book, voicemail and call history.
    Secret Button Sequence Bypasses iPhone Security | Threat Level | Wired.com
    10-27-10 02:57 PM
    I don't think anyone cares.
    10-27-10 10:21 PM
    Just tryin to get the word out and keep people informed. Don't know about yours, but our company has a lot of money and time invested in CRM.
    10-27-10 11:21 PM
    They can only make a call in this flaw, nothing else. Nothing major in my opinion.

"Full access" to the phone was in 2008.

Nothing to worry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-10 10:18 PM
    Of course its not a big deal, but what else would the BB fanboys have left to bash on when the iphone improved its OS so much in the last year and their OS has remained stagnant in the past 5+ years.
    10-28-10 10:23 PM
    Just tryin to get the word out and keep people informed. Don't know about yours, but our company has a lot of money and time invested in CRM.
    Some Android phones with MotoBlur has the same issue. Also, this flaw doesn't jeopardize Enterprise security, so it's not exactly the end of the world.

10-28-10 10:24 PM
    Of course, oh no they can call your mother or friend. Its the end of the world, life as we know it is over

It doesnt compromise anything other than being able to make some phone calls IF you're dumb enough in the first place to leave your phone lying around for people to pick up!

The BEST security feature above any password or lock code, on ANY platform, is not letting the phone out of your sight!
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-28-10 at 10:27 PM.
    10-28-10 10:25 PM
    Of course its not a big deal, but what else would the BB fanboys have left to bash on when the iphone improved its OS so much in the last year and their OS has remained stagnant in the past 5+ years.
    Lol, I know, you guys even have multi-tasking now! Maybe someday RIM will catch up
    10-28-10 11:48 PM
    The multitasking as Apple has it is just fine, its the apps that have to catch up and update. Its only been out 3 months, it takes time for all of those apps to update for the new OS.

Ill take saved state multitasking any day over RIM's half-baked old Java OS that hasn't seen major improvements in easily 5 years.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-28-10 at 11:59 PM.
    10-28-10 11:56 PM
    Wow, you guys really take it to the fence when there is crapple talk, don't you?

I feel us as a bb community have no problem bashing our own devices, read SCridd's post again, he did state "maybe someday rim will catch up" did he not?

I will take my tour anyday over an iphone. Sure the tour is eol with problems of its own. Can you iphoneys use mp3 player for about 6 hours, heavy text and web, including about 15 minutes of youtube, (whatevers new I watch) in a work day and still come home to half a battery left?

Didn't think so...plus went out of my way to bash the tour.

My two cents.

10-29-10 09:32 AM
    so you have to hit emergency calls then * three times, then call then the sleep button all at the pefect timing to get you in the phone app only, ill take this minor bug over that stupid spining clock i use to get on my bb every time i tried to open or load something that required Data
    10-29-10 10:31 AM
    @Stuaw11 I don't think the OP meant to insult or attack anyone using the iphone. there's no need to get so defensive bro.

And yes I could have the MP3 playing for 6h, youtube and browsing with messaging and be down to maybe 40% by the end of a work day...... Only difference the Iphone Doe's the MP3, YouTube, Browsing about 50 times better, nicer, smother then the berry .
    So my advice to you is if your going to attack another device to make your's look better please find your strong points and study the weak points of the device you are trying to put down .

I have used ( the 9000, 8900, 9700) BB's and the battery on the Ip4 comes very VERY close to the 97 ( best battery IMO) considering the display and what the Ip4 could i think it's amazing how long it could last

Wow, you guys really take it to the fence when there is crapple talk, don't you?

I feel us as a bb community have no problem bashing our own devices, read SCridd's post again, he did state "maybe someday rim will catch up" did he not?

I will take my tour anyday over an iphone. Sure the tour is eol with problems of its own. Can you iphoneys use mp3 player for about 6 hours, heavy text and web, including about 15 minutes of youtube, (whatevers new I watch) in a work day and still come home to half a battery left?

Didn't think so...plus went out of my way to bash the tour.

My two cents.

Last edited by TheBBman; 10-29-10 at 10:36 AM.
    10-29-10 10:32 AM
    Since you want to bash: To tether you had to jailbrake the phone for 3 revisions. Every other phone allowed this since 2002. Nokia has had phones with front facing cameras for 7 years now. And you're just getting it. You still have to Jailbreak an iPhone to transfer files via Bluetooth. I don't. I can still use any bluetooth headset, stereo headpohone, keyboard and more. You can't. You're happy there is an App that lets you use the iPhone as a door opener or Wii controller.

The iPhone is a kids toy compared to other phones. It doesn't require a thought process to use. Apple lied and says iOS4 multi-tasks. It does not. If I load a webpage on iPhone and a call comes in and I answer, the webpage will stop loading until I switch back. Android works like my desktop OS which is how it is supposed to. In fact WebOS and Windows Mobile have worked that way from day one. Why didn't Apple? That crap about battery life is true if you dont know what you are doing. But guess what. My iPod Touch use to last 2 days on a full charge based on my usage. Since I upgraded to iOS4, with playing music only it last 1/2 a day on a full charge. The iPhone 4 has a bigger battery. How is my battery wasting so fast when all I am doing is playing music and nothing else is running? My Droid 2 which has real multi-tasking still lasts a full day on a single charge and I watch vids, play games, listen to FM radio, stream radio and have live wallpapers all running and it still lasts all day. IMAGINE THAT...
    Last edited by SevereDeceit; 10-29-10 at 10:42 AM.
    10-29-10 10:40 AM
    Since you want to bash: To tether you had to jailbrake the phone for 3 revisions. Every other phone allowed this since 2002. Nokia has had phones with front facing cameras for 7 years now. And you're just getting it. You still have to Jailbreak an iPhone to transfer files via Bluetooth. I don't. I can still use any bluetooth headset, stereo headpohone, keyboard and more. You can't. You're happy there is an App that lets you use the iPhone as a door opener or Wii controller.

The iPhone is a kids toy compared to other phones. It doesn't require a thought process to use. Apple lied and says iOS4 multi-tasks. It does not. If I load a webpage on iPhone and a call comes in and I answer, the webpage will stop loading until I switch back. Android works like my desktop OS which is how it is supposed to. In fact WebOS and Windows Mobile have worked that way from day one. Why didn't Apple? That crap about battery life is true if you dont know what you are doing. But guess what. My iPod Touch use to last 2 days on a full charge based on my usage. Since I upgraded to iOS4, with playing music only it last 1/2 a day on a full charge. The iPhone 4 has a bigger battery. How is my battery wasting so fast when all I am doing is playing music and nothing else is running? My Droid 2 which has real multi-tasking still lasts a full day on a single charge and I watch vids, play games, listen to FM radio, stream radio and have live wallpapers all running and it still lasts all day. IMAGINE THAT...

lol who still transfers files over bluetooth, but you are right the iphone is a toy but why shouldnt a person cell be fun to use, i use to support blackberry and always arguee in favour of them but compared to an iphone now that ive seen both i cant believe i was paying the same price for a data plan

blackberries might as well scrape the browser cause it sucks and takes 5 times as long to load a page, push email and bbm are great but you forget about them quick, the iphone has fetch email that can refresh as often as every 15 mins which should be more then enough

sure the bb is more customizable with themes and profiles but really i dont need a different alert for everything on my phone
    10-29-10 12:20 PM
    The iPhone is a kids toy compared to other phones.
    And your credibility to even bother listening to just went in the crapper. There are PLENTY of people in more important positions in life making many times more money using an iphone; guess theyre little kids too huh?

My iphone 4 lasts ALL day just fine. Obviously the thought processless OS is just too hard for you to manage

As above:
    blackberries might as well scrape the browser cause it sucks and takes 5 times as long to load a page
    Lets not forget about a 2005 resolution screen EVEN on their 2010 device, underpowered hardware, JAVA OS with spinning hourglass, crappy expensive apps, charging $15/month more just to get decent email with folders, crappy HTML email, truncated email, having to go into menus just to see email images, etc.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-30-10 at 02:30 PM.
    10-30-10 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD