So I picked up a Bold. Got it in white of course - I gotta be me! Yesterday I forced myself to leave my iPhone at home so I wouldn't be tempted to SIM swap. Today is my second full day on the 9900.

I'm not sure there will be a third.

My thoughts so far...

1) Battery sucks compared to iPhone. My first battery was faulty but the second one, while much better, still drains twice as fast. My screen is set to 40% compared to 80% on my iPhone so this makes no sense.

2) Web browsing sucks. Omg the browser is bad. Better than the old BB one BUT STILL BAD.

3) Applications. I miss NHL Tradecentre and Tapatalk looks so bad its almost unusable.

4) The keyboard is fabulous.

5) Screen size. This is the worst part other than battery.

I think if I hadn't been away from BB for so long it would be a whole other experience. This phone would be the Cadillac, if you will. But as of now, I think it will be the second car I drive in bad weather so I don't get my Bugatti Veyron all dirty.

iPhone, you glass and steel harlot, you own my heart.
    02-23-12 02:40 PM
    3) Applications. I miss NHL Tradecentre and Tapatalk looks so bad its almost unusable.
    Main reason right there why I couldn't ever go back to BB. I miss my apps. The NHL app I had on my Storm2 hadn't been updated since 2010. I got my iPhone in October 2011 if that tells you anything.

Welcome back.
    02-23-12 03:44 PM
    I'm about to sell my BlackBerry BOLD 9900, the end!

PS: I agree with your main points above, too...
    reeneebob, pilsbury and lssanjose like this.
    02-23-12 05:41 PM
    1. The BB screen adapts to environment brightness, even if you set it at 10 as soon as you walk into a brighter environment it will turn it up, the only time you'll see it at 10 is in the dark. You have to untick automatically dim backlight box, then the screen light will remain constant. Personally I find the 10 setting too bright.

Battery saving mode in the latest leak makes a huge difference in battery life.

2. Browser might "suck" but it lets you do more things then the iphone browser, download, upload, you don't need Tapatalk to be able to upload pics to this forum for example. You can also open more tabs too, I had 20 open at one point.

I'm not trying to convince you by the way, just pointing a few things out
    02-23-12 05:53 PM
    I did it the other way around. Went from 9650 to 9930 and for basically the same points the op mentioned I thought it was time to try the iphone. Still very very satisfied with that decision. I do miss that amazing keyboard on rare occasions but I don't think I could give up the whole screen for the keyboard anymore!
    reeneebob likes this.
    02-23-12 05:59 PM
    Main reason right there why I couldn't ever go back to BB. I miss my apps. The NHL app I had on my Storm2 hadn't been updated since 2010. I got my iPhone in October 2011 if that tells you anything.

Welcome back.
    Even though you are a Sharks girl (sorry, I'm a Sens girl lol) - I agree. The NHL apps for iPhone run CIRCLES around the 9900. I missed out on the Antoine Vermette trade yesterday because I don't have Tradecentre. When I turned on my iPhone there was a friggin' notification of the trade. This is TRADE DEADLINE people. I MUST BE CONNECTED AT ALL TIMES!

If I couldn't own both and run my iPhone off my BB plan, I'd sell the 9900. As it is, it may end up being the backup phone or the phone I use on days when I may be heavy emailing or texting for whatever reason, or just if I feel like a change. Being able to run the iPhone of the BB plan makes all the difference. It's nice to have a spare phone just in case something happens, considering my spares were my old 8330 ane 8130 and they don't take SIMs so that gets a tad complicated if something happens. It costs me $8 a month more to have it so I'll keep it, but it won't be my primary phone at all.
    02-23-12 11:24 PM
    1. The BB screen adapts to environment brightness, even if you set it at 10 as soon as you walk into a brighter environment it will turn it up, the only time you'll see it at 10 is in the dark. You have to untick automatically dim backlight box, then the screen light will remain constant. Personally I find the 10 setting too bright.

Battery saving mode in the latest leak makes a huge difference in battery life.

2. Browser might "suck" but it lets you do more things then the iphone browser, download, upload, you don't need Tapatalk to be able to upload pics to this forum for example. You can also open more tabs too, I had 20 open at one point.

I'm not trying to convince you by the way, just pointing a few things out
    1) It is unticked. It doesn't help the battery at all and I can't stand 10%, it's way too dark for me. I am also running the newest leak.

2) I have no need to have 20 tabs open on my laptop let alone a cell phone. However, I can open more than enough tabs in safari. I prefer browsing this forum on Tapatalk, and have for years.

The downsides are simply more than the upsides at this point. The kicker for me was the Vermette trade. I'm Canadian. I live and breathe the trade deadline.
    02-23-12 11:28 PM
    I did it the other way around. Went from 9650 to 9930 and for basically the same points the op mentioned I thought it was time to try the iphone. Still very very satisfied with that decision. I do miss that amazing keyboard on rare occasions but I don't think I could give up the whole screen for the keyboard anymore!
    I know, right? I still type faster on the on screen keyboard than I do on the 9900 one, although that keyboard is truly the high bar standard by which I will judge all other keyboards from now on.
    lssanjose likes this.
    02-23-12 11:29 PM
    I think the browser is really good.
    02-23-12 11:34 PM
    I know, right? I still type faster on the on screen keyboard than I do on the 9900 one, although that keyboard is truly the high bar standard by which I will judge all other keyboards from now on.
    Keyboards in general are clunky, to me

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    02-23-12 11:50 PM
    I think the browser is really good.
    It is - for a Blackberry.

However, after using WebOS, Android and iOS browsers for over a year and a half now, it's not even close to as useable FOR ME. I still get considerable checkerboarding, something I don't get on my iPhone.

The keyboard is really beautiful though, and the phone itself is bar none the nicest looking BB I've ever had (although I'm still holding a little candle for the Storm and the Pearl 8130. I loved the looks of the Storm and I had the Pearl in purple and with the dark gunmetal railings....mmmmmm)
    Last edited by reeneebob; 02-24-12 at 12:26 AM.
    02-24-12 12:23 AM
    I'm Canadian. I live and breathe the trade deadline.
    American here, but I'm keeping an eye on what Doug Wilson (Sharks GM) does. He's notorious for waiting until about ten minutes before the deadline and making a blockbuster move. Rumor was Sharks are looking to get Rick Nash from Columbus, but at what price? He won't come cheap.

Anyway, back on topic - All of the apps on my iPhone have been updated at least twice since I got it. Absolutely love that fact. I also can't stand my screen bright. Even when I'm outside working with the horses, my iPhone screen is easier to read than my S2 screen is.
    02-24-12 08:50 AM
    I could dump my iPad in a minute. Cant live without my s2. Ftw.
    02-24-12 10:21 PM
    I type this from my iPhone.

Lol

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    02-25-12 12:00 AM
    I miss using a berry occasionally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    02-25-12 09:44 AM

your demented... lol
    02-25-12 12:48 PM

I do too but not enough to retire my 4s and go back to a phone loaded with problems. I doubt I'd last an entire day.
    lssanjose likes this.
    02-27-12 09:14 AM
    I do too but not enough to retire my 4s and go back to a phone loaded with problems. I doubt I'd last an entire day.
    Me too. I would ditch it the first time I used the browser or had to do a battery pull. I miss nothing about a BlackBerry.
    lssanjose likes this.
    02-27-12 10:11 AM
    Battery pulls weren't needed on the 9900 thank god. The browser though. Ugh. And one of these days I'll screenshot what tapatalk looks like. You wouldn't believe it's the same app.

pilsbury likes this.
    02-27-12 11:20 AM
    Tapatalk is horrible on the 9900! I've been back and forth between the 9900 and my 4s a few times over the past few months. Mainly because of the keyboard and the led,bbm, messaging in general. I do like the 9900 alot but it clearly has its problems! Each time I try to stick with the 9900 I only last a few days max and go right back to my 4s! I just sold my 9900 and have zero intentions on trying a os7 device again. The os on a 4s is so smooth and the app support is unreal! Very happy with it and I also have the best ins you could ask for in apple care + highly recommend. And my battery life on the 4s smokes the 9900!
    Last edited by Slammer; 02-27-12 at 03:05 PM.
    lssanjose likes this.
    02-27-12 03:02 PM
    Battery pulls weren't needed on the 9900 thank god. The browser though. Ugh. And one of these days I'll screenshot what tapatalk looks like. You wouldn't believe it's the same app.

So you still on the 9900 or is it back in the drawer? Lol
    02-27-12 03:12 PM
    Back in the drawer for now. I have a few days off work so I'm going to se it to try to get used to it.

02-27-12 06:53 PM
    I didn't read anything about call quality during this thread, and since the most important part of a phone for me is the actual phone, can someone enlighten me on the quality of the phone reception. I'm in the process of research for my next phone purchase and this would help my research......thanks
    02-27-12 07:06 PM
    I didn't read anything about call quality during this thread, and since the most important part of a phone for me is the actual phone, can someone enlighten me on the quality of the phone reception. I'm in the process of research for my next phone purchase and this would help my research......thanks
    If you are thinking of replacing your BB for an iPhone type device look here.

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...-s-iii-704354/
    Last edited by RetroAndreas; 02-27-12 at 07:35 PM.
    02-27-12 07:24 PM
    If you are thinking of replacing your BB for an iPhone type device look here.

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...-s-iii-704354/
    Yea I already saw that and posted. I'm just in the process of research, but no iphone user responded.......hummmmmm. Can I get a iPhone user to comment on call quality for the iphone. The phone is the most important for my needs and I just want to know what the phone call sounds like and reception.
    Last edited by spencerdl; 02-27-12 at 07:46 PM.
    02-27-12 07:43 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD