12-16-11 11:04 AM
    Not for me, it is still apple. Could be though. I thought according to you the playbook is all ready dead so why do you ask if this will kill it?
    12-16-11 11:09 AM
    12-16-11 11:50 AM
    I'll look at a 7" Apple when I'm in the market for another tablet. I'm completety sold on my 7" PB's size

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-11 03:03 PM
    Exactly.

Highly doubt they'd go back on what Steve stated. I think there would be public uproar...
    12-16-11 04:16 PM
    Wow, Apple is already forgetting what their former fearless leader thought?
    I think it's human nature for the engineers and EVPs to want to put out things that Steve vetoed before, but that they thought would work. I won't be surprised if the next iPad is thicker (something that would have caused Jobs to fire or shoot somebody), but that little extra thickness will allow a gorgeous new display. That's a trade off that many people would consider a good one, but that violated Steve's obsession with thickness.

And I can see them doing a 7" iPad because they don't want to give that up to Amazon. Amazon is a credible threat with an excellent retail presence that surpasses Apple.
    12-16-11 04:54 PM
    This was probably already in motion when Steve was still alive. It wouldn't be the first time he said something and then the total opposite happened.
    12-16-11 04:55 PM
    So essentially an apple iTouch?
    12-17-11 01:03 AM
    Will they put a $500 price tag on it. Being an unproven product and believe it will compete with the ipad with the 10" screen?
    12-17-11 01:33 AM
    I been saying this for months they know there's a market for 7"
    probably call it the iPLAY
    On the go I always take my playbook instead of the ipad.
    12-17-11 10:13 AM
    Will they put a $500 price tag on it. Being an unproven product and believe it will compete with the ipad with the 10" screen?
    It will probably run $100 cheaper than the cheapest 10" iPad. Also, it isn't unproven. It has the iPad branding, that's all it needs to sell. It will be interesting to see which version sells more, if this rumor is true.
    12-17-11 10:21 AM
    A 7inch ipad, would be just the excuse to get a playbook or android tablet. I keep threatening to get a playbook but some 'L' lenses for the holidays, put that on hold.
    12-17-11 10:58 AM
    So I have a 4ish inch iPhone and a 10 inch ipad. I have to change them practically every year cause they become prehistoric in 12 month cycles. Now these guys want me to buy a 7 inch unit too. So let me understand-- I have to generate about 2000$ of net income every year to do MY part in supporting Apple. OK boys, settle down! How much of my money do you gangsters want? Keep your 7 inch oversized iphone!

12-18-11 01:38 PM
    So I have a 4ish inch iPhone and a 10 inch ipad. I have to change them practically every year cause they become prehistoric in 12 month cycles. Now these guys want me to buy a 7 inch unit too. So let me understand-- I have to generate about 2000$ of net income every year to do MY part in supporting Apple. OK boys, settle down! How much of my money do you gangsters want? Keep your 7 inch oversized iphone!

You don't have to, you choose to.
    12-18-11 02:08 PM
    It will probably run $100 cheaper than the cheapest 10" iPad. Also, it isn't unproven. It has the iPad branding, that's all it needs to sell. It will be interesting to see which version sells more, if this rumor is true.
    My post was completely directed at another product that thought they could compete with the ipad and threw up an unmatched flop.
    12-18-11 02:40 PM
    LOL, why did I know before clicking that the OP couldn't post a straight Apple discussion, in the Apple Forum no less, without making it a jab at the PB...
    12-18-11 03:47 PM
    A 7" unit would phase out the iTouch I think, which is looking for a reason to exist now with the iPhone and all. The iTouch was basically an iPod with a better screen for video, or a iPhone without the phone. I've got one and have never really used it much at all. I use my iPod for car music, my wife uses her iPad for browsing. A 7" would cut a couple hundred bucks off the iPad and would effectively kill the Fire dead in its tracks. The Playbook is toast anyway. BB just lacks any marketing savvy. Dumping the PB for $200 is more or less admitting it's crap and flipping off the BB faithful who paid retail price for it.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 12-20-11 at 12:58 PM.
    12-20-11 12:55 PM
    The playbook is a heck of a lot better than the ipad. Yes the ipad sells, but so did pet rocks and beanie babies. While it's too bad the playbook didn't get the recognition it deserves, it's a better tablet than the ipad. The ipad has more apps, but the playbook is at least open. (And those dang safari browser crashes...)
    12-20-11 08:28 PM
    The playbook is a heck of a lot better than the ipad. Yes the ipad sells, but so did pet rocks and beanie babies. While it's too bad the playbook didn't get the recognition it deserves, it's a better tablet than the ipad. The ipad has more apps, but the playbook is at least open. (And those dang safari browser crashes...)
    Exactly how is the playbook better? What good is open if you can't use it for anything? Seriously. I'm confused. The playbook seems like a glorified Internet browser; and what safari crashes? Mine seems pretty stable.

I think the playbook gets recognized for what it is... An overpirced(initially), underperforming, piece of junk. Sorry, but it flops because its a turd, and no one has faith in rim anymore.
    12-20-11 10:31 PM
    Exactly how is the playbook better? What good is open if you can't use it for anything? Seriously. I'm confused. The playbook seems like a glorified Internet browser; and what safari crashes? Mine seems pretty stable.

I think the playbook gets recognized for what it is... An overpirced(initially), underperforming, piece of junk. Sorry, but it flops because its a turd, and no one has faith in rim anymore.
    With the bridge I can use it for emails, surfing. I can upload photos I take to websites. I can download files from websites. I can browse sites that use flash.

Using your logic, the ipad is a turd, because mobile safari doesn't support uploads or downloads from web sites or flash.

The camera is better on the playbook, QNX is better in an absolute sense then IOS. And I have faith in RIM. Remember apple went through some very, very dark days also.
    12-21-11 12:15 PM
    With the bridge I can use it for emails, surfing.
    Isn't this the biggest issue with the Playbook? iPad can support multipule email accounts, work, gmail, whatever out of the box. You don't need an iPhone, just the iPad. I would imagine this is one of the biggest reasons they aren't having the enterprise success that iPad is. Even though BB has a ton of devices in the field, most IT groups now support many different brands within a company like iOS and Android.

With the bridge concept, they are already limiting the ability to sell to non-BB owners.

I am not bashing the PB, I still want RIM to turn it around. It just feels like they don't know what they should be doing and instead are trying to do too many things.
    12-21-11 03:20 PM
    Isn't this the biggest issue with the Playbook? iPad can support multipule email accounts, work, gmail, whatever out of the box. You don't need an iPhone, just the iPad. I would imagine this is one of the biggest reasons they aren't having the enterprise success that iPad is. Even though BB has a ton of devices in the field, most IT groups now support many different brands within a company like iOS and Android.

With the bridge concept, they are already limiting the ability to sell to non-BB owners.

I am not bashing the PB, I still want RIM to turn it around. It just feels like they don't know what they should be doing and instead are trying to do too many things.
    This is exactly the problem I have, two data plans are needed. The bridge is a much better concept and turns out to be a better deal bandwidth wise. BB email at least on the BES side is so much better than IOS (IMO) as you can manage the email on the device differently than email on your desktop.

While it's true the playbook is limited to the BB for email, unless one uses webmail, the other side of the discussion is the ipad requires a data plan to be totally useful in the field. So you as the consumer wind up with two data plans, two inboxes, etc.
    12-21-11 06:58 PM
    This is exactly the problem I have, two data plans are needed. The bridge is a much better concept and turns out to be a better deal bandwidth wise. BB email at least on the BES side is so much better than IOS (IMO) as you can manage the email on the device differently than email on your desktop.

While it's true the playbook is limited to the BB for email, unless one uses webmail, the other side of the discussion is the ipad requires a data plan to be totally useful in the field. So you as the consumer wind up with two data plans, two inboxes, etc.
    That's not entirely true. Most people I know with the iPad go the wifi version and either simply use it as wifi only or use the hotspot from their smartphone. And there is one inbox across all devices since it syncs via exchange.

My point about bridge being limiting is that you have to connect to a blackberry to use email, with the iPad you don't. You just turn it on and native email is there. You can't tell me that you wouldn't prefer this? I thought lack of native email support in the PB is one of biggest complaints??
    12-22-11 05:43 PM
    That's not entirely true. Most people I know with the iPad go the wifi version and either simply use it as wifi only or use the hotspot from their smartphone. And there is one inbox across all devices since it syncs via exchange.

My point about bridge being limiting is that you have to connect to a blackberry to use email, with the iPad you don't. You just turn it on and native email is there. You can't tell me that you wouldn't prefer this? I thought lack of native email support in the PB is one of biggest complaints??
    What's VZW charge for the HotSpot feature?

Yes, you have to have your BB to get Bridge email, but how often are you without your phone in near proximity? Besides, you'll need it around for your HotSpot. Most other tablet users will also have their phone around but not get the benefits that Bridge provides. Outlook Web Access is a lot more useful and feature-rich than the iOS mail clients I've used, so with those two options, a Native Mail app is not a big deal for me.
    12-22-11 06:27 PM
    Meanwhile, back on topic....another news report:

Apple to launch smaller tablet: report - The Globe and Mail
    07-05-12 06:29 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD