03-16-11 03:49 PM
38 12
tools
    03-15-11 07:46 PM
    Not a BlackBerry PlayBook thread :P
    03-15-11 07:48 PM
    This was before the first iPhone was released.

RIM shouldn't have said anything lol.
    03-15-11 07:49 PM
    oops! sorry moderators

its just my bookmark to Playbook forum haha
    03-15-11 07:52 PM
    Boy Gayness Report needed some clicks today.

Edit: One anonymous employee (not "RIM") said something 4 years ago.
    03-15-11 07:57 PM
    Boy Gayness Report needed some clicks today.
    It doesn't matter what your stance is on BGR, that was actually funny haha
    03-15-11 07:58 PM
    Usually such comments from RIM are taken out of context. Considering this one is from an Ex employee and taken from 2005 who cares at this point.

From the perspective of comparing them as an email device what was said in 2005 rings true in 2011. iPhone for email and PIM sucks! They still do not support half of the functions a Blackberry does, do not last as long when using push email and on and on. If you took a Blackberry and stood it up email feature wise the winner is apparent (and a main reason many still use Blackberry to this day).

Now what Apple excelled at was wanting a true mobile web experience AND knew the means to obtain Apps was scattered. It's not like mobile Apps were something new as they go back to the late 90's and Palm, Windows Mobile etc. Apple also put their marketing polish on it. The people that flocked to iPhone didn't really care about email as the majority of them were consumers. The gripes are still mostly from prosumers / enterprise users who want a robust email / PIM device AND the other stuff. IMO no one has nailed that yet and I've tried all the devices. One will get better hardware or will nail the Apps, the internet etc but RIM has the best chance to pull it all together and make it function. I guess youd call it intergration. On iPhone and Android everything is siloed and the task your doing. As a long time BB user I expect more from a mobile device then a great screen or 400,000 Apps. I want the device to work for me, not work me (and my wallet).
    03-15-11 08:03 PM
    Usually such comments from RIM are taken out of context. Considering this one is from an Ex employee and taken from 2005 who cares at this point.

From the perspective of comparing them as an email device what was said in 2005 rings true in 2011. iPhone for email and PIM sucks! They still do not support half of the functions a Blackberry does, do not last as long when using push email and on and on. If you took a Blackberry and stood it up email feature wise the winner is apparent (and a main reason many still use Blackberry to this day).

Now what Apple excelled at was wanting a true mobile web experience AND knew the means to obtain Apps was scattered. It's not like mobile Apps were something new as they go back to the late 90's and Palm, Windows Mobile etc. Apple also put their marketing polish on it. The people that flocked to iPhone didn't really care about email as the majority of them were consumers. The gripes are still mostly from prosumers / enterprise users who want a robust email / PIM device AND the other stuff. IMO no one has nailed that yet and I've tried all the devices. One will get better hardware or will nail the Apps, the internet etc but RIM has the best chance to pull it all together and make it function. I guess youd call it intergration. On iPhone and Android everything is siloed and the task your doing. As a long time BB user I expect more from a mobile device then a great screen or 400,000 Apps. I want the device to work for me, not work me (and my wallet).
    actually the iphone handles email very well. Activesync access is much better than BIS.
    03-15-11 08:10 PM
    So... 4 years ago, an anonymous (in other words, imaginary) RIM employee had a comment about a competitor's phone?

Journalists really suck these days.
    03-15-11 08:13 PM
    ActiveSync? Ewww maybe in like 2004 it was nice. I guess I'm BES biased. We havn't used ActiveSync in 3 years.

No other device lets me delete all my email and not have it impacted on the mailbox side. I don't want to carry around my entire mailbox. The Blackberry allows me to process the 200+ emails I get a day and widdle that down to what I want to save then clear off my BB.

I will agree iPhone renders HTML email nicer but many functions are missing.
    03-15-11 08:22 PM
    ActiveSync? Ewww maybe in like 2004 it was nice. I guess I'm BES biased. We havn't used ActiveSync in 3 years.

No other device lets me delete all my email and not have it impacted on the mailbox side. I don't want to carry around my entire mailbox. The Blackberry allows me to process the 200+ emails I get a day and widdle that down to what I want to save then clear off my BB.

"whittle", even.
    03-15-11 08:25 PM
    exchange/activesync is huge. Gives users BES capabilities, syncs calendars contacts etc.

You are right you are BES biased
    03-15-11 08:28 PM
    ActiveSync is a email connector its not a means to manage and deploy thousands of mobile devices. It also doesn't allow App deployment, VPN like access etc. So yeah for users its nice but for actual management its pitful and outdated for enterprise mobile needs in 2011.

But from a user perspective yeah it's free* and easy to use.
    03-15-11 08:41 PM
    HEH .. too much NyQuil tonight.
    03-15-11 08:43 PM
    exchange/activesync is huge. Gives users BES capabilities, syncs calendars contacts etc.
    Agreed. Our IT department does not support BES, which renders the 'berry line a non-starter...sucks because I prefer the blackberry form to all other phones. But alas, I'm stuck with either an iPhone or Palm since Android phones (with all 100,000 iterations) are inconsistent with EAS since they all apply their own "skins"...
    03-15-11 08:47 PM
    HEH .. too much NyQuil tonight.
    LOL! My fav excuse is that my blood glucose is low...
    03-15-11 08:48 PM
    I fail to see how this is news. Looks like link-baiting to me.
    03-15-11 08:55 PM

You are right you are BES biased
    Active sync IS NOT as good as BES, yes it gives a lot, but doesn't come close to everything BES brings,

for Joe 6pack or law clerk guy, or local sales guy, sure ActiveSync is good, but BES does offer more, and adds more.

RIM isn't the end all be all of email though! I'm not defending RIM for being perfect at email, but when you can have 555 unread emails ( my current number on my torch) the BB is the FASTEST tool to get through that back log across 8 email addresses,
    03-15-11 09:00 PM
    Agreed. Our IT department does not support BES, which renders the 'berry line a non-starter...sucks because I prefer the blackberry form to all other phones. But alas, I'm stuck with either an iPhone or Palm since Android phones (with all 100,000 iterations) are inconsistent with EAS since they all apply their own "skins"...
    Considering BES Express is free and provides much more then ActiveSync I'm surprised more shops don't offer it along with EAS you don't even need a dedicated box if you have a small environment. Provides pretty much all BES features minus some of the enterprise security / HA stuff. For free its much nicer then EAS. Perhaps as RIM expands BES / BES X to support other devices you'll see EAS get put aside.
    03-15-11 09:17 PM
    Active sync IS NOT as good as BES, yes it gives a lot, but doesn't come close to everything BES brings,

for Joe 6pack or law clerk guy, or local sales guy, sure ActiveSync is good, but BES does offer more, and adds more.

RIM isn't the end all be all of email though! I'm not defending RIM for being perfect at email, but when you can have 555 unread emails ( my current number on my torch) the BB is the FASTEST tool to get through that back log across 8 email addresses,
    i never said it was as good, i said it gave users some BES capabilities that BIS doesnt have but should
    03-15-11 09:23 PM
    LOL! My fav excuse is that my blood glucose is low...
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking crack.

03-15-11 09:51 PM
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking crack.

LOL! Love the Airplane! movies. Office Space is my fav comedy movie though. I drive my wife crazy when we watch it because I know all the dialog.
    03-15-11 10:12 PM
    To be honest, it does suck.

Other than the App Store, the iPhone has little going for it. If it wasn't for the App Store, the iPhone would likely fair pretty poorly in the market.

But Apps are important. They create both hype and increase appeal. Right now Apple has a huge lead over Android and RIM in this regard. Both in terms of quality and and quantity at the moment, but if either platform were to catch up in terms of Apps, I would not be surprised if iPhone sales began to fall in favour of the other devices.

That being said, I think Apple is making a lot of the same mistakes it made in the 1980s with the Macintosh, and we all know how that turned out. Likely Android will be the one which unseats Apple throne; RIM's best option is to partner with Google and provide some kind of easy way to run Android Apps on Blackberries (Much like they did with the Playbook).
    03-15-11 11:01 PM

There are some of us out there that want an exact mirror of our Exchange mailbox in out pockets. With basically unlimited space, I can do just that with my iPhone and ActiveSync. When I need to find something, I can find it either on my iPhone or Outlook. I don't have to worry that my mobile device in my pockets doesn't have what I need from my email. I know it's the same and not a "copy" like it is on BES. Yes, I said copy because as long as you can maintain a view/content difference on a BB, it's never going to have the same content as your full blown Outlook does. That to me is a negative. Oh, and let's not forget the poor HTML rendering and truncation. Come on, you guys didn't seriously think I wasn't going to mention truncation, did ya?
    03-15-11 11:10 PM
    this is why smart people don't say stuff about the future.
    03-15-11 11:15 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD