It�s clear that the Apple iPhone and iPhone 3G have been the most sought after handsets in the US smartphone market for some time now. Following on the previous ChangeWave survey that indicated that the iPhone 3G would have a �tsunami like impact� on the smartphone market, ChangeWave has released a new survey that shows RIM and its BlackBerry aren�t taking the issue lightly......

To read rhe rest click here---->RIM mounting BlackBerry counter-offensive against Apple iPhone
    08-07-08 07:18 AM
    These next few years are going to be very interesting...

As RIM is taking a venture into the media world and Apple is taking a venture into the business world.

Only time will tell what happens, but it is apparent that the two companies are directly competing against one another, which is a good thing for the progression of technology

*EDIT* And as long as RIM has the majority of the market share... that is all that matters
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-07-08 at 07:25 AM.
    08-07-08 07:23 AM
    Don't forget that palm has a new OS coming which should put them back up on the charts where they were 2+ years ago. I Also wonder do palms winmo and PDA devices count in their market share or are they only counting palm OS based smartphones for palms market share? I think apple will end up in 3rd place once palms new OS takes hold. There are a lot of prior palm owners just itching for palm to release something competative to current smartphones and PDAs. I know I am wanting a new PDA. My BB does a lot of what I used my T5 for but I still like having dedicated devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-08 09:56 AM
    Don't forget that palm has a new OS coming which should put them back up on the charts where they were 2+ years ago. I Also wonder do palms winmo and PDA devices count in their market share or are they only counting palm OS based smartphones for palms market share? I think apple will end up in 3rd place once palms new OS takes hold. There are a lot of prior palm owners just itching for palm to release something competative to current smartphones and PDAs. I know I am wanting a new PDA. My BB does a lot of what I used my T5 for but I still like having dedicated devices.

O yeah... very valid points!

And on top of all that, Google Android Mobile platform will be launched sometime in the future This will bring another competitor to the table!

Smartphones are going to have some crazy evolutions in the future... and I cannot wait!!
    08-07-08 09:59 AM
    I still don't think Palm is going to do anything. A lot of Ex-Palm users have already switched to BBs (me being one) and are dedicated (Crackheads) for RIM products.

Microsoft is set to be coming out with a new windows platform as well. I've actually read that it may actually steal a lot of the marketshare.

Honestly, the more the better. I really want more competition for the iPhone in reference to how great the touch is.
    08-07-08 02:21 PM
    I suspect the Blackberry OS 5.0 will need to be more than a simple reworking of the old OS (like 4.5, 4.6 are) in order to compete with the new Palm OS, WinMo 7, Mac, and Android.

The OS wars on smartphones are much, MUCH more entertaining than the OS wars on PCs have been - although, I'm delighted to see Windows marketshare slide and Mac and Linux gain ground. Competition is the best thing for the consumer - monopolies suck.
    08-07-08 09:22 PM
    Great!! Innovative technology wars will always benefit us as the consumers.
    08-07-08 09:56 PM
    Well I am sure that some people who have decided to go with another platform from using palm will stick with the new platform. But those that aren't completely satisfied may switch back. Plus don't forget the 10s maybe 100s of millions of non-smartphone users who potencially could switch to a smartphone seeing as they are much more powerful and versatile than regular cell phones. All 3 BB, palm, and apple are aiming at all markets from the average consumer to the business user.

08-08-08 12:05 AM
    The only thing about that is users go by word of mouth and word of mouth isn't too good for Palm right.

Hopefully Palm does something big and good.

08-08-08 01:47 AM
    Well its not really that people have only bad things to say. The big kick in the pants for palm is the fact that for the last 5 years they've done nothing more than rehash old devices. For example the TX is a slightly less powerful version of the T5 with wifi along with BT of the T5. Same case for E2 from the E, except gained BT and no wifi. And the Z22 is just a cheap version of the E2/E, very similar to the m130 I owned except case cosmetics, and more power inside.

As for smartphones really all they have done is made some winmo models which I was wondering if they were being counted in palms market share of if only palm platform devices count for their market share. Oh and the centro palm OS based.

Many palm platform users (current and former) are still wanting a new up to date palm based device using modern mobile design and features. Which is why I think they will take 2nd in market share once they hav e the new OS and devices out beginning in 1Q2009 hopefully earlier.

Spinning off the OS developement was another factor that contributed to palms slump as well. Now that they realized and reconciled that mistake they can rebound back into the game. They have the vision, and it looks like an excellent team and the knowhow to put out some great products. So I am very hopeful for them.

08-08-08 02:55 AM
    Yes-

Truth be told, if your looking for a good phone it only comes out to TWO phones now a days, ESPECIALLY if your owned by AT&T, and that is:

Apple iPhone

-or-

RIM Blackberry
    08-08-08 04:09 PM
    Whether that's true now is debatable but I really don't think that will be true at all by the end of the year.
    08-09-08 09:49 AM
    Whether that's true now is debatable but I really don't think that will be true at all by the end of the year.
    As consumers, that is exactly what I'm hoping for. When the iPhone came around, my phone hunger went away. I would buy a phone or two a month. Now I have standards, lol. I won't give it up (my cash for all the dirty minds out there, lol.) to any old device. It has to be 3g and 2MP camera.

Even the Javelin... if it came with 3g, I would be all over it.
    08-09-08 11:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD