Now everyone pretty much knows Apple maps is being torn apart by reviews. A lot of attention is focused here (and rightfully so if the discussion is solely based on maps).

But people are using this and saying that Apple has failed with the iPhone 5 and iOS 6. Do you believe that to really be the case?
    09-21-12 10:34 AM
    If the most the reviewers can find to talk about is a few glitches in a mapping application... they need to visit an optometrist. I would rate the overall significance of maps on any smartphone somewhere around 5 points on a scale from 1-100.
    09-21-12 10:58 AM
    Realistically, I don't think the maps are a big deal. However, I think people are just so used to getting really polished products from Apple that this issue is getting a lot of attention.
    09-21-12 12:10 PM
    I think its only a big issue if they dont get it ironed out fairly quickly.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    09-21-12 12:21 PM
    The reason I didn't update my iP4, maps and the youtube app. Too many bad reviews and everyone complaining.
    09-21-12 12:27 PM
    Realistically, I don't think the maps are a big deal. However, I think people are just so used to getting really polished products from Apple that this issue is getting a lot of attention.
    Normally this wouldn't be a big deal. BUt this is Apple, who used to (with very few exceptions launch stuff smoothly). People are very p'd off about maps because they use maps a lot. Apple pulled a perfectly good app (Google Maps) probably out of spite, (ok then, competitive issues) either not thinking of or underestimating their USERS dependence on said perfectly good app, to replace with a crappy Apple maps app. Very bad. Big slip up that this sup par map app has launched with their latest release... because now the two are being thought of at the same time. Wouldn't have happened under Steve's watch I bet. It's like they either didn't test it or they thought, they'd release a crappy app anyway.

I've seen people saying they are not upgrading to the 5 until the Maps app is fixed. They'd better fast track the Google app approval or the p'd offness is going to get worse.

People are not too happy at looking up places and finding them in the middle of the ocean (according to Apple Maps).
    09-21-12 12:43 PM
    Now everyone pretty much knows Apple maps is being torn apart by reviews. A lot of attention is focused here (and rightfully so if the discussion is solely based on maps).

But people are using this and saying that Apple has failed with the iPhone 5 and iOS 6. Do you believe that to really be the case?
    I wouldn't call the launch a fail. But it's an unfortunate distraction for a company who wouldn't usually associate any negative news along with their flagship launch.
    09-21-12 12:49 PM
    Usually, the only negative thing we hear is that the demand was so high, they ran out of units. In the big scheme of things this map thing isn't even a blip.

It hasn't affected sales, just more publicity. (shrugs)
    09-21-12 12:59 PM
    The real reviews won't be coming down the pipe until the device is actually in the hands of the 10 million people who are projected to buy them in the next few weeks.

For the price these people paid, everything on the device needs to be better than last year's model. No excuses. This is not the Storm or the Torch.
    09-21-12 01:11 PM
    Apple pulled a perfectly good app (Google Maps) probably out of spite, (ok then, competitive issues) either not thinking of or underestimating their USERS dependence on said perfectly good app, to replace with a crappy Apple maps app. Very bad. Big slip up that this sup par map app has launched with their latest release... because now the two are being thought of at the same time. Wouldn't have happened under Steve's watch I bet.
    Apple pulled the map app becasue Google retains exclusive rights for turn by turn directions for Android devices only. Since Apple wanted to have turn by turn it needed its own maps.

That said, I agree and doubt Steve would have let them ship in the state they are. This combined with the scuffing issue on black iPhones is making me wait a couple of months before I consider picking one up.
    09-21-12 03:48 PM
    LIES! I have read here so many times that Apple gets NO criticism, so this is all one, big LIE!

Seriously, I agree with Howarmat. If they fix it quickly, they'll be fine.
    09-21-12 06:06 PM
    I think its only a big issue if they dont get it ironed out fairly quickly.
    LIES! I have read here so many times that Apple gets NO criticism, so this is all one, big LIE!

Seriously, I agree with Howarmat. If they fix it quickly, they'll be fine.
    Yeah I agee. What I am wondering about is the "scratching issue". A lot of people are reporting that their black iPhone arrived with scratched or chipped pain on the edges or that the paint has started scratching or chipping off within a few hours of them getting it.
    09-21-12 07:54 PM
    Yeah I agee. What I am wondering about is the "scratching issue". A lot of people are reporting that their black iPhone arrived with scratched or chipped pain on the edges or that the paint has started scratching or chipping off within a few hours of them getting it.
    Okay, that isn't good. Very un-Apple-esque. They usually do a good job of quality control.
    09-21-12 08:00 PM
    dont know about scratching. I havent talked to my bud who normally gets every iphone on release (its nice having 2 lines rotating around to get upgrades on yearly lol).
    09-21-12 08:14 PM
    Okay, that isn't good. Very un-Apple-esque. They usually do a good job of quality control.
    dont know about scratching. I havent talked to my bud who normally gets every iphone on release (its nice having 2 lines rotating around to get upgrades on yearly lol).
    Do a google search for "Scuffgate" or "iPhone scratches".

The middle two photos are the same phone; the frist and last are different phones. I don't know if it's a bad batch or what. ifixit has a video on Youtube showing how easily the iPhone 5 basck case scratches compared to the iPhone 4.

09-21-12 08:52 PM
    I have no problem with the iPhone 5 - it is what it is - but the iOS upgrade is an overrated incremental, adding a number of 'features' that no one really needed and deleting one app that was - on the whole - perfectly fine, in favour of a yet another half-baked built-in Apple product.
    09-22-12 11:43 AM
    Apple had to replace Google maps if it wanted turn by turn directions. Google only allows turn by turn directions on Android devices.
    09-22-12 04:00 PM
    Too many zombies to worry about an article putting a ding in sales.

Lack of leadership will be the shank in Apples armor. You know, like it was with RIM until recently.
    09-22-12 04:35 PM
    I don't personally think maps is that bad. I actually think the turn by turn is quite good. Is it perfect? No. Is it useable? Very much so. People just expect perfection from Apple, but this is new to them and I believe they'll make it better.
    09-23-12 11:32 PM
    5 Million iPhone 5s sold in 1st weekend. Yep, massive fail.
    09-24-12 07:49 AM
    People are fickle and sometimes a little thing like this can change the whole game. It will be interesting to follow sales for the next few weeks, not just the launch.
    09-24-12 01:26 PM
    5 Million iPhone 5s sold in 1st weekend. Yep, massive fail.
    That suggests popularity in the device, not necessarily that they bought it to get iOS 6.

Which, as we know, embeds a badly-produced Maps in iPhone 4 and above.
    09-25-12 12:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD