I have been a happy iPhone user since the initial model and still use my 2 year old 3G albeit it needs a battery. The iPhone4 seemed like a logical choice for me; however, I waited because of the problems following the initial launch. After a little while I pulled the trigger and got one. I really like the form factor, and the screen is the best I have seen on a smart phone. I wasn't too happy with the battery life, only getting about 4 hours of usage with 3G and about 6 when the browsing was with WiFi. Biggest issue is the stupid proximity sensor!! Nearly every call gets disconnected, or my face tries to activate facetime, or hits other buttons. I patiently waited to upgrade to 4.1 which was supposed to fix the problem, but it didn't. Now I hear 4.2 is supposed to fix it, but who knows. Really seems to be a troubled phone. I used my upgrade on this, but fortunately I still have a few days left in my 30 day window. I will just upgrade the battery in my 3G and mess around with blackberrys until the iphone5 comes out.

Anyone else having major problems with the proximity sensor?? I love the phone but its useless to me unless I can make calls without fear of it hanging up!!
    09-21-10 04:14 AM
    Haven't had any problems with my iPhone 4. Wont be switching to another phone anytime soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-10 05:58 AM
    Had an iphone 4 and sold it. Switched to BB Bold 9700. Iphone is too much gaming and too less usable. No notifications for emails, bad reception (even without touching die spot), everything takes too long to get there.

Very happy I switched. It is my first BB. Had a Palm pre, HTC Legend and so on.. I the pre would be better hardware (battery) it would be my choice. The webOS and it's features are outstanding.

Anyway waiting impatient for the 9780..
    09-21-10 06:25 AM
    My 9700 has never had a proximity sensor issue.

09-21-10 06:29 AM
    Ive had my i4 for about ten weeks now and have never had one issue with it.
    09-21-10 06:34 AM
    I have had a couple issues with my face turning on facetime but nothing to the point of me wanting to get rid of it. I mean not to bash bb but I sat through some trying times with my S1 & S2 so this little proxy issue is a walk in the park.
    09-21-10 07:25 AM
    Not one issue.
    09-21-10 08:51 AM
    . No notifications for emails
    You sure you are using an iPhone 4?
    09-21-10 08:52 AM
    you know how Apple goes with device releases right?
    so the next one.. which is probably iphone 4G will be next year..
    if you want to stick with apple... i suggest the 3GS.. but don't EXTEND any contract for it..
    or be adventurous and try other platforms.. like an Android or a Blackberry...
    09-21-10 09:34 AM
    I accidentally muted my friend twice and hung up on my dad three times. Can't you just lock the screen?
    09-21-10 10:07 AM
    If 4.1 doesn't fix your proximity sensor problem, it's a hardware problem and you should exchange the phone at Apple.
    09-21-10 10:27 AM
    I used to get that problem, so i kept using my 9700 more often than my ip4..... Ever since 4.1-- the problem is gone. Also, the OP mentioned something about battery time-- I can't speak for standby cause i charge up every night, but I CAN say I get more straight TALK (not fiddling around and gaming etc) TALK time than my 9700... and THAT my friends, is impressive.
    09-21-10 10:36 AM
    My 9700 has never had a proximity sensor issue.

LMFAO!!!!! Nice! Mine either.
    09-21-10 10:37 AM
    I used to get that problem, so i kept using my 9700 more often than my ip4..... Ever since 4.1-- the problem is gone. Also, the OP mentioned something about battery time-- I can't speak for standby cause i charge up every night, but I CAN say I get more straight TALK (not fiddling around and gaming etc) TALK time than my 9700... and THAT my friends, is impressive.
    There's also a little issue with positioning. The i4 moves the proximity sensor from the side of the ear speaker to the top. If a person tends to hold the phone a bit high, the ear won't cover the sensor, and they'll have problems. Holding the phone a little lower will fix this problem. Again..... "don't hold it that way." LOL

Straight out talk time on i4 is killer. I can easily get like 4+ hours on it.
    09-21-10 10:40 AM
    I accidentally muted my friend twice and hung up on my dad three times. Can't you just lock the screen?
    If you updated to 4.1 and you still have this issue, try holding the phone a little lower. If you still have problems, you should exchange the phone because it's probably a hardware problem.
    09-21-10 10:43 AM
    Yea, just exchange the damn thing. Not that hard.
    09-21-10 11:42 AM
    You sure you are using an iPhone 4?
    I am pretty sure that there is no visual notification for emails like for sms.
    09-21-10 11:48 AM
    Soo hard to touch the email icon. Or pay attention to the badge. Soo hard.
    09-21-10 11:51 AM
    The only time I have this issue is when I'm multi tasking and holding the phone to my ear with my shoulder. No issue at all when I hold it to my ear with my hand. I just use the ear phones when I can't hold it....problem solved.
    09-22-10 01:23 PM
    ^ it should be strongly advice to all smartphone users whether it's a Droid, an iphone or a blackberry to use the. Corded earphones or a bluetooth device when calling/receiving calls.
    Most of the times I'm in a call I'm doing something else related to the call like taking notes, checking some charts or even browsing the Web. And it's hard to put your phone back and forth to your ears.
    THIS will solve all these proximity sensor issues, oil from the face to the phone screen rants etc etc

09-22-10 06:57 PM
    I had my i4 for a week now, had zero problems. Coming from a bb curve 8530, the i4 is the best smartphone that I put my hands on. Keep up the good job apple!!!!

09-23-10 08:29 PM
    Oh man. I just got my iPhone replaced today. The new one has an issue with the proximity sensor. Dammit. Gonna have to go back to Apple Store again.
    09-25-10 10:07 PM
    Well since being on 4.1 the issue hasn't really come up like it was before. Hopefully
    it continues this way.
    09-27-10 01:48 PM
    Well since being on 4.1 the issue hasn't really come up like it was before. Hopefully
    it continues this way.
    I just swapped it earlier today. The replacement I got on Saturday would hang up on almost all calls within 2 minutes. The replacement I got today seems fine. Already made a couple 10 minute calls and no problems.

The really annoying thing is restoring the device back. It takes almost 2 hours each time. It's really easy, just a PITA.

The Genius guy mentioned that the 4.1 update did fix the issue for most, but for a really small minority, it was still popping up. He also said his had the same problem and he had to swap his too.
    09-27-10 01:54 PM
    I just swapped it earlier today. The replacement I got on Saturday would hang up on almost all calls within 2 minutes. The replacement I got today seems fine. Already made a couple 10 minute calls and no problems.

The really annoying thing is restoring the device back. It takes almost 2 hours each time. It's really easy, just a PITA.

The Genius guy mentioned that the 4.1 update did fix the issue for most, but for a really small minority, it was still popping up. He also said his had the same problem and he had to swap his too.
    Man you've got a lot of apps and music lol
    09-27-10 01:55 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD