So here's my question... Are Apple fanboys and the stock market going to reflect on this report and do exactly what they did to RIMM? Probably not, and the even bigger difference is that some of these were in customers hands! God the favoritism makes me sick sometimes.

Report: Apple Recalling Verizon Ipad 2s

Apple is recalling iPad 2 tablets using Verizon's 3G network due to an issue with the units' mobile equipment identifier (MEID) numbers, 9to5Mac reported Friday.

An MEID is a globally unique number associated with mobile devices like tablets or smartphones that carriers like Verizon use to identify such equipment on their networks.

One tipster quoted by 9to5Mac said after having trouble getting on Verizon's 3G network with a newly purchased 16GB iPad 2, Verizon said there was "a batch of iPad 2s with duplicate MEIDs ... out there" on the market. The tipster was told to exchange the faulty iPad 2 for a new one at an Apple Store.

Unique MEIDs, consisting of an 8-bit regional code, 24-bit manufacturer code, and a 24-bit manufacturer-assigned serial number, are needed to push out wireless service to tablets and other mobile devices. The identifying number string is "burned," or hard-coded into devices and resistant to modification, meaning a duplication issue would certainly justify a product recall.

Apple Stores are also reportedly offering $50 store credits to customers who have to exchange their Verizon iPad 2s for new ones due to the glitch.

9to5Mac first reported rumors of a Verizon iPad 2 recall Thursday when it received tips that iPad 2 shipments from China to the U.S. were being re-routed.

The site first speculated that an error with the shipper had occurred as tips came in from people awaiting new Verizon iPad 2s who noticed via Fed Ex tracking numbers that their packages were being re-routed.

But by Friday it seemed far more likely that the MEID issue was the reason for the recall, as 9to5Mac learned that "Apple Store employees are being told to scan iPad 2s and if they are [within] a certain serial number allotment, to send them back to Apple."

Verizon referred PCMag to Apple for an explanation of the reported iPad 2 recall. Apple had not responded to a request for information as of Friday afternoon.
    Dapper37 and ibigberries like this.
    06-11-11 09:29 AM
    Cat... meet kettle.
    06-11-11 09:43 AM
    Apple will probably accuse RIM of sending operatives into the Apple plant and sabotaging the manufacturing process by cloning IMEI numbers.

Shortly after, Steve will call a press conference to tell the world how they thwarted the attack, and how magical the staff who performed the counter-insurgency in the plant performed. Before he leaves the stage, he'll also offer a free IMEI shielding-counter terrorist-magical case to anyone who feels they are vulnerable to further attacks from RIM.

/sarcasm

Max
    Snick Snack and ibigberries like this.
    06-11-11 09:48 AM
    Apple will probably accuse RIM of sending operatives into the Apple plant and sabotaging the manufacturing process by cloning IMEI numbers.

Shortly after, Steve will call a press conference to tell the world how they thwarted the attack, and how magical the staff who performed the counter-insurgency in the plant performed. Before he leaves the stage, he'll also offer a free IMEI shielding-counter terrorist-magical case to anyone who feels they are vulnerable to further attacks from RIM.

/sarcasm

Max
    Priceless..........
    06-11-11 09:57 AM

/sarcasm

Max
    RIM would love this. In a perfect world, this "press conference" would run concurrent to their earnings call this week.
    06-11-11 10:47 AM

/sarcasm

Max
    Thanks for providing the best laugh I had for the morning!

Maybe Jobs will also add in that if you don't use you iPad 2 on the 3G network you won't encounter any problems, just like if you hold the iPhone 4 a certain way so as not to block the antenna...
    06-11-11 01:27 PM
    I think he said if you stand on your head and use it, it will work fine. They are going to send everyone a yoga pillow for the cure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-11 09:59 PM

/sarcasm

Max
    The has to be one of the top comments for 2011, hilarious
    06-11-11 10:08 PM
    No no no, you're holding it wrong and they all do that anyway lol

06-12-11 02:43 AM
    Conveniently left out the most important part of the story. This ONLY affected a SMALL number of units from 1 batch, not ALL VZW ipads.

Tell me what other manufacturer would give you $50 credit for the hassle too? Let alone what other manufacturer would directly involve themselves to fix the problem not putting it off on the carrier.
    06-12-11 01:04 PM
    Conveniently left out the most important part of the story. This ONLY affected a SMALL number of units from 1 batch, not ALL VZW ipads.

Tell me what other manufacturer would give you $50 credit for the hassle too? Let alone what other manufacturer would directly involve themselves to fix the problem not putting it off on the carrier.

Kinda like the insignificant number of Playbooks that were recalled (most still in the supply chain) that made front page news as far as - and without exaggeration here - Jupiter.

Max
    06-12-11 05:51 PM
    Cat... meet kettle.
    Dude, WTF are you cooking???
    06-13-11 12:16 AM

Around 30 000 is a small number to you? And $50 isn't to be nice it's to pay you off so you don't go talking crap about the company. You now feel its okay that they messed up. It's like going out for dinner and having your food take forever and getting either the meal for free or something else for free. They don't do it to be nice. They want you to come back and spend more money. Or atleast this is how I see it.

06-14-11 05:19 AM
    Dude, WTF are you cooking???
    I'm sure he meant Pot lol

06-14-11 05:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD