I just got an iPhone 4 the other day to replace my Bold 9650 and all I can say is WOW, what a difference. This phone definitely fits my needs in a smartphone. The voice quality, sound and strong signal is great. tons of apps to pick from, tight interface and a browser where i can render and read webpages with ease. Now, i can fully utilize my data plan without the frustrations I had in the past. The camera and hd video are impressive. And the touchscreen is so much easier to type with than the small keypad.
    The battery life is solid for what this phone can do. Maybe a bit more a drain on it than my Bold but not too much. Also, with their proprietary formats for simple tasks like making ringtones is a bit more work or just simply dragging video to a the media card but that tradeoff is nothing compared to all the things I wanted in a smartphone.

As for waiting for an iPhone 5, I couldn't wait any longer. Now that I got the 4, if the 5 comes out and is better, then so be it. At least I know I still have an unlimited data plan for the next couple of years and a cutting edge phone today at least and who knows what LTE will bring as far as tiered pricing in the future goes. The Verizon rep had no idea when I asked.

All I know is that I'm very impressed with this phone and glad I made the switch.

The Bold is a good phone but it really didn't cut it for what I use my phone for.

One question.....Should I jailbreak it? What sort of things will I have access to besides apps & themes outside of itunes? I'm not much into all kinds of themes since the default theme is good although i like using different themes from time to time.
    Last edited by zwoof; 02-19-11 at 07:16 AM.
    02-19-11 07:01 AM
    Congrats on the new phone. I'm going to check out an iPhone today. Have a BlackBerry 9630. I've played with my parents iPhone and didn't like it, but may be different if I had settings and apps I chose.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-11 09:44 AM
    Congrats on the new phone. I'm going to check out an iPhone today. Have a BlackBerry 9630. I've played with my parents iPhone and didn't like it, but may be different if I had settings and apps I chose.

If you give it a chance I'm almost positive you'll like it better than the EVO errrr Thunderbolt you have
    02-19-11 12:21 PM
    Glad you enjoy the phone, I went from the storm to the Droid X and loved it. Yesterday I went from the Droid X to the VZW Iphone and I can tell you that it is definitely a step backwards. The form factor is absolutely beautiful and the screen is tits, but the Iphone, while way ahead of blackberries, is inferior to the Droid lineup.
    02-21-11 04:51 PM
    If you give it a chance I'm almost positive you'll like it better than the EVO errrr Thunderbolt you have
    Jailbroken or not, give me the Thunderbolt.
    02-21-11 04:52 PM
    Jailbroken or not, give me the Thunderbolt.
    for starters, 4G, 4.3 inch screen, next gen 1GHZ processor? I'll also take the Thunderbolt over the iPhone, even though I still own an iPhone
    02-21-11 08:25 PM
    One question.....Should I jailbreak it? What sort of things will I have access to besides apps & themes outside of itunes? I'm not much into all kinds of themes since the default theme is good although i like using different themes from time to time.
    I too had a 9650 and I am way happy with my iPhone, its like a whole new world..
    I had mine jailbroken after I got familiar with it after the first 2 weeks...
    One app that I use is the myWi app, thats the hotspot that only cost a one time fee of about $20...
    I have some other apps too that makes the phone a little more modifiable from simple things like single telephone call deletes to texting and themes...
    So I say JB if you want more modifications.
    02-22-11 05:25 AM
    for starters, 4G, 4.3 inch screen, next gen 1GHZ processor? I'll also take the Thunderbolt over the iPhone, even though I still own an iPhone
    4.3" Screen serious overkill... why not just take a Xoom with VoIP and call it a day LOL.
    02-22-11 10:05 PM
    Glad your enjoying your new phone. Don't jailbreak it unless there's something you wanna do that you can't.

02-22-11 10:16 PM
    Glad you enjoy the phone, I went from the storm to the Droid X and loved it. Yesterday I went from the Droid X to the VZW Iphone and I can tell you that it is definitely a step backwards. The form factor is absolutely beautiful and the screen is tits, but the Iphone, while way ahead of blackberries, is inferior to the Droid lineup.
    I'm looking to trade my X for the iphone, got my wife one and love it. Screen is better and it runs alot smoother. Keyboard is great too.

Everything "I" use my droid X for I can do on the iphone, plus a little more. The only thing I think android has over the iphone is customization which I don't change my anyway.
    02-22-11 10:58 PM
    I currently have an iphone and really like it...but that's just me. I had an X and have to say that the experience with the iphone is a lot more plain...to some extend boring for the techie.

I think the novelty wears off rather quick and you may miss doing all you could with Android. If you do not care about all the little nifty things then iOS is fantastic.
    02-23-11 09:37 AM
    Had a Droid and Droid Incredible and honestly I really don't miss either phones after I got the iPhone. Yeah, you can customize Android phones a lot more than an un-jailbroken iPhone but the iPhone is just so much smoother IMO. It's pretty fast, the camera is very good, the screen is gorgeous, and the phone is fast overall. The Droid Inc is the only phone, IMO, on VZW that comes close to the iPhone. And I'm sure the Thunderbolt will be great but it's pretty much a bigger version of the Droid Inc, with 4G of course... but it's just like any other HTC phone, which isn't a bad thing....I just got bored with Android (believe it or not), so I needed a change and I'm really happy with my decision
    Last edited by moni19; 02-23-11 at 09:59 AM.
    02-23-11 09:48 AM
    I actually like the smaller screen of the iPhone. I do miss the widgets, but I am enjoying the battery life on my iPhone. I had 16 hrs of standy by and 6 hours of usage with 58% left at the end of the night. No services turned off and brightness was at 3/4. I have 2 GMail pushing and 1 Exchanging pushing as well.

My Fasciante, brightness down, GPS and WIFI off, only 2 widgets refreshing every 2hours, Gmail pushing, exchange was every hour. I had to bump charge in the car to make it through the day.
    02-24-11 09:42 AM
    Like part0076, I had my VZW iPhone4 for a couple of weeks to really get to know the OS. I wanted to determine if jailbreaking was worth it for me. After exploring the Cydia "store'" (where you can get apps for your jailbroken iPhone), I came to the decision that jailbreaking was the way to go.

Jailbreaking was incredibly easy and took only a few minutes. I had to go through the process twice, but it was totally painless. I also knew that I could just go back to factory settings via iTunes.

I totally personalized my iPhone screens to make the phone mine and added apps that I really wanted, like MyProfiles that lets me set my ring/alert settings just like I did on my Bold 9650.

The only thing that I miss is my LED light notification, but I've gotten used to not looking at my phone every 30 seconds to check for a blinking light.

IMO, jailbreaking is important to enable many features of the iPhone. It's actually sad that jailbreaking is necessary for many of those features, they should be standard on iOS. However, I'm loving my iPhone and I don't miss my Bold 9650 at all---although it did take me a couple of weeks to be able to say that.
    02-24-11 06:49 PM
    Unlike some of the other people on here (who seem to be phAndroid trolls (mainly tucker, can't speak to the others)) I'm glad you're happy with what you got.
    As far as jailbreaking, YES. There's tons of tweaks that are, imo, essential that you can't get without jailbreaking.
    02-25-11 08:25 PM
    Yea..as for jailbreaking it, I'm leaving it as is until I find things I want to do that require a jailbreak. So far, I haven't gotten to that point. The only thing I found so far to give me a reason to jailbreak is to modify safari so I can control the browser from automatically redirecting to mobile pages who's websites don't have the option to view full pages.

I ended up finding a 3rd party browser to handle that so the jailbreak isn't needed.

Once i figure out what it is I want to do that reqires a jailbreak, it'll be jailbriken.

Right now I'm finding that everything I can do on the iPhoone runs smooth, tight and can get a lot of stuff done on it.

About the only thing I wish the iPhone had was flash support. However, I think I was reading somewhere that a jailbreak has some roundabout support for flash.
    02-27-11 06:07 AM
    Unlike some of the other people on here (who seem to be phAndroid trolls (mainly tucker, can't speak to the others)) I'm glad you're happy with what you got.
    As far as jailbreaking, YES. There's tons of tweaks that are, imo, essential that you can't get without jailbreaking.
    I'm due for an upgrade and I am open to all the platforms, with a slight preference to BB. I 'll wait for the iP5 before making a choice.
    Having said that I personally feel that having to "jailbreak" a phone to get it to multitask properly is an epic fail. I'm hoping a LED light and true multitasking will be standard with the iP5.
    02-27-11 08:31 AM
    About the only thing I wish the iPhone had was flash support. However, I think I was reading somewhere that a jailbreak has some roundabout support for flash.
    It's not really a runabout way to support it. Basically someone took the Flash 10.1 browser module from Android and ported it over to the Safari browser. The only reason to Jailbreak it is that without that you cannot install apps from outside the AppStore. If Apple was to let that module be available on the AppStore, no Jailbreaking would be needed.
    02-27-11 08:46 AM
    Thanks..I see what you saying. Since flash is simply ported over, I wonder why Apple or some of the other smartphone makers just don't support it natively or at least provide the option whether to or not.. Well, whatever the reason, at least there the option to do it thru the jailbreak.
    Last edited by zwoof; 02-27-11 at 09:38 AM.
    02-27-11 09:23 AM
    Thanks..I see what you saying. Since flash is simply ported over, I wonder why Apple or some of the other smartphone makers just don't support it natively or at least provide the option whether to or not.. Well, whatever the reason, at least there the option to do it thru the jailbreak.
    Apple doesn't natively support Flash because Steve got in a tizzy with Adobe about it. So, he got pissed at them and decided not to support it. This is kind of why the port was easy to introduce. When the install for the plug-in was a manual process, it was just a single file that needed to be dropped into a directory on the phone, nothing more. The Cydia app bundle for it just made that process a simpler one for general users, nothing more.
    02-27-11 02:22 PM
    Well, I ended up jailreaking it..LOL..I couldn't hold back any longer.
    02-27-11 06:01 PM
    Got the Safari flash plugin too..Now I'm starting to get this rig customized the way I like it.
    02-27-11 06:16 PM
    I have been a loyal BB user for the past 3 years or so and always said I would NEVER get an iPhone, even though as far as computers are concerned, I'm an Apple girl through and through.

Recently, with the iPhone coming to VZW, I started to have second thoughts. For the past several months I have been unhappy overall with my BlackBerry and wanted something more. Don't get me wrong, BB's have some great features and have for the most part been stable devices for me but it wasn't enough of an overall package.

Yesterday I decided to go get an iPhone and I'm really glad I did. I was also using the Bold 9650. I haven't had my iPhone for 24hrs yet but I'm extremely excited about it. The transition has been fairly smooth so far since I'm so used to the mac interface and the only thing I'm struggling with slightly is having a touchscreen instead of my lovely BB keyboard. It's a little slow-going but I'm getting better. There were a lot of threads in this forum that I read which convinced me that the iPhone would be a great decision for me. Between the beautiful browser, the array of apps and the nice large screen, I kind of don't know what to do with myself.

So thanks for all the info, and I look forward to chatting with you all in the future since I'll be sticking around from now on.
    03-04-11 11:50 AM
    I have been a loyal BB user for the past 3 years or so and always said I would NEVER get an iPhone, even though as far as computers are concerned, I'm an Apple girl through and through.

Recently, with the iPhone coming to VZW, I started to have second thoughts. For the past several months I have been unhappy overall with my BlackBerry and wanted something more. Don't get me wrong, BB's have some great features and have for the most part been stable devices for me but it wasn't enough of an overall package.

Yesterday I decided to go get an iPhone and I'm really glad I did. I was also using the Bold 9650. I haven't had my iPhone for 24hrs yet but I'm extremely excited about it. The transition has been fairly smooth so far since I'm so used to the mac interface and the only thing I'm struggling with slightly is having a touchscreen instead of my lovely BB keyboard. It's a little slow-going but I'm getting better. There were a lot of threads in this forum that I read which convinced me that the iPhone would be a great decision for me. Between the beautiful browser, the array of apps and the nice large screen, I kind of don't know what to do with myself.

So thanks for all the info, and I look forward to chatting with you all in the future since I'll be sticking around from now on.
    Cool I'm Happy 4 u!!I still have a tour,so I'm like if she jumped ship with a 9650 then what the heck am I waiting on.Lol!!I hope and pray that apple goes 2 a 4.0,that would push me rite over the edge!!!

03-04-11 12:17 PM
    I also switched from a Bold 9650. This phone is great! Now I just need to try out this FaceTime business..
    03-05-11 06:46 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD