Found this link through phonescoop, havent looked at site in a long time but figured it was relevant here to the removable battery gripes.

BatteryBoss Calls Out False Capacity Claims!

I think the study/tests speak for themselves. OEM batteries were within a few % of their capacity claimed and the best non-OEM was only 84% of the claimed mah capacity, ranging from a horrible 55% to 84% before degradation over time occurred (batteries, even OEM do lose capacity over time/charges).

It speaks for itself why user-replaceable batteries are mostly a crock unless you buy OEM, which for the iphone wouldnt be much less than sending it in for battery service (or doing it through a local shop).

You do get what you pay for and I see why Apple doesnt want these batteries being put in their phones and people complaining to them why their battery life sucks when they strive for high consumer satisfaction in their iphones (being the leader in the smartphone category from JD Power the last 3 years running).

Id rather pay the extra $20 to get an OEM battery replaced then $40-50 on some POS knockoff that has 1/2-3/4 the capacity which the iphone needs every bit of as is. The OEM ones also degrade (lose max capacity) a lot slower, about 8% after 6 months.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-21-10 at 11:07 PM.
    04-21-10 10:58 PM
    May be true, but some of us have issues with sending off a unit just for a battery replacement... let alone walking into an Apple store and letting someone there pull screws off a device that we keep in prestine condition, only to get it back with slightly stripped screws and marred finishes around said screws.
    04-21-10 11:15 PM
    Thats just the price to play I guess.

Like I said in the 4th gen thread, the 4th gen seems very easy to swap out a bum battery- 2 screws and the back pops right off with a suction cup to lift it exposing the battery/pull tab like in the pics.

No more removing the screen and the guts to get to the battery at the bottom of the shell like the 3G/3GS (basically a VERY high risk of damaging something making doing it yourself not an option for most people). Sure you void your warranty, but by the time it needs replacing your 1 year warranty will more than likely be up anyways.

I still have a feeling the biggest fist pounders for a removable battery are people that never even carried a spare with them when it was an option. They just want to complain for the sake of having something to complain about. And if they did carry one they were in the VAST "geek" minority of smartphone users. They have to build the phone for everyone not just the geek crowd.

I also dont think battery doors always hold up so good vs a sealed design (Droid being a more recent example of poor battery doors and the VZW sticker incident)
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-21-10 at 11:28 PM.
    04-21-10 11:23 PM
    Thats just the price to play I guess.

Like I said in the 4th gen thread, the 4th gen seems very easy to swap out a bum battery- 2 screws and the back pops right off with a suction cup to lift it exposing the battery/pull tab like in the pics.

No more removing the screen and the guts to get to the battery at the bottom of the shell like the 3G/3GS (basically a VERY high risk of damaging something making doing it yourself not an option for most people). Sure you void your warranty, but by the time it needs replacing your 1 year warranty will more than likely be up anyways.

I still have a feeling the biggest fist pounders for a removable battery are people that never even carried a spare with them when it was an option. They just want to complain for the sake of having something to complain about. And if they did carry one they were in the VAST "geek" minority of smartphone users. They have to build the phone for everyone not just the geek crowd.

I also dont think battery doors always hold up so good vs a sealed design (Droid being a more recent example of poor battery doors and the VZW sticker incident)
    Couldn't agree more. Replaceable battery devices are nice, but like you said, not a lot of folks actually "utilize" that benefit. In the end, what you're left with is, loose battery doors... and RIM is a big offender of that. I absolutely hate that I can't "three finger salute" my Storm like I could my previous QWERTY BB to reboot it. At least the battery door hinges on it haven't failed yet, even though it's not like I pull the battery constantly... maybe a couple of times a month if needed. (Yes, I'm surprised at that as well, lol.)
    04-21-10 11:46 PM
    Never has been a gripe for me. I keep a charger in my car and in the office, so I am really never faced with a dead battery.
    04-22-10 06:28 AM
    That's not the real reason. First of all there are increased capacity batteries available for many phones and many 3rd party batteries are as good or better than OEM batteries. Apple doesn't manufacture its own batteries, so why not be able to buy a replacement from the same company that made the original, instead of getting price-gouged by Apple. "Studies" just prove what the guy running the study wants to prove. Just like in every area of technology you can always find better quality than OEM products if you read reviews and look around a little.

Many people have personal information on their phones and most phones other than BB don't have any way to wipe the phone. Do you really trust (I guess you do if you're an Apple fanboy) the people who replace your battery to keep your data confidential?

None of my computers or handhelds get out of my sight.

This is just another example of the brainwashed masses of Apple fanboys accepting any excuse instead of saying "that's wrong."

There shouldn't be any reason you can't replace your own battery. At best it's a captive audience deal like paying 10 dollars for popcorn at a movie. At worst you lose control over your personal or corp. data.
    04-22-10 06:57 AM
    F0nage, you can password protect an iPhone and also wipe it clean if it must be sent off. What's your point? I am like you and don't let stuff out of my sight either, but if I needed to go and have a battery replaced in an Apple store, I'd make sure that my password was enabled and just not give it to the service tech. They don't need my password to replace the battery. Once replaced, they'd just need to make sure it powers up, which it will. If you had to send the iPhone off for service, you'd be stupid not to do a wipe on it first from the Settings menus... that would be just dumb.
    04-22-10 10:36 AM
    Yes, I honestly doubt the number of people that complain about non-swappable batteries, actually carry around charged batteries.

I've only done this once, and it was because I was gonna be plane hopping for two days.

PS I <3 You Civic, the voice of objective wisdom on CB.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 05-25-10 at 11:31 AM.
    04-22-10 10:43 AM
    Had my Droid for about 3 months now and have never experienced any battery door issue. Must have been a problem with earlier models.
    04-22-10 02:21 PM
    Yes, I honestly doubt the number of people that complain about non-swappable batteries, actually carry around charged batteries.

I've only done this once, and it was because I was gonna be plane hopping for two days.

PS I <3 You Civic, the voice of subjective wisdom on CB.
    Yup, I do. For my government phone and my personal.

Too many possibilities for getting caught without a power source when I travel.
    04-22-10 03:13 PM
    Maybe this will keep people from giving any more money to the scammers at Seidio.
    04-22-10 03:44 PM
    That's not the real reason. First of all there are increased capacity batteries available for many phones and many 3rd party batteries are as good or better than OEM batteries. Apple doesn't manufacture its own batteries, so why not be able to buy a replacement from the same company that made the original, instead of getting price-gouged by Apple. "Studies" just prove what the guy running the study wants to prove. Just like in every area of technology you can always find better quality than OEM products if you read reviews and look around a little.
    No, its more like you want to question every study looking for faults to prove it wrong and Apple wrong.

How can you bias such a study, you charge the battery until it says 100% on the phone and put 2 leads up to measure the voltage, Watts, and amps and graph it using software on the other end. Did you even bother to read their method and see the graphs for each battery before merely discounting it? Its not arbitrary with a stopwatch, its empirical data.

Furthermore, what exactly is their motivation to "fudge" the data? They arent saying one is bad but hey we'll sell you something better. Its totally an independent site. Just some guy from XDA (leader in WM and Android hacking/tweaks) doing it for the benefit of people not getting taken advantage of paying these scam companies for bad cells or not the mah consumers paid for.

The study clearly proved over and over again that 3rd party batteries are NOT just as good and dont live up to their capacity claims. Whether theyre all assembled in China or not is irrelevant, there clearly is a quality difference, or just higher standards demanded by the manufacturers who use OEM vs companies like Seidio and other who dont care what they buy, and want to peddle as many $50 crappy batteries as possible with the least amount of complaints

Maybe this will keep people from giving any more money to the scammers at Seidio.
    Bingo
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-22-10 at 07:03 PM.
    04-22-10 06:50 PM
    Too bad that Crackberry still continues to rip people off by selling them garbage "extended" batteries. Maybe this study will convince them to finally do the right thing and only sell OEM batteries.
    04-22-10 06:58 PM
    The extra batteries I carry are not third party.
    I'm not sure how anyone can make an argument against being able to take precautions and being prepared for unforeseen events that could prevent someone from reaching a power source.
    04-22-10 08:11 PM
    The extra batteries I carry are not third party.
    I'm not sure how anyone can make an argument against being able to take precautions and being prepared for unforeseen events that could prevent someone from reaching a power source.
    Um, there are ways to power a phone other than a spare battery. Kind of ridiculous to think otherwise.
    04-22-10 08:18 PM
    Um, there are ways to power a phone other than a spare battery. Kind of ridiculous to think otherwise.
    Trust me on this, there are times when you cannot get to a power source. And carrying a battery operated charger means more space than you can spare.
    04-22-10 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD