Started with a Pearl 8120 on T-Mobile that I bought myself. It was an okay phone, but after a promotion I got a Bold 9000 from my employer. That was a great phone for calls, messaging and email.

Then my sister-in-law sold me her iPod touch when she got her iPhone 3GS. People make fun of the usless "fart apps" that are in the App Store, but with so many choices there are a lot of very useful and easy to use apps. I could:
    Do light online banking
    Surf the Web easily with Safari
    Remote to servers, both at home and work, securely in a pinch if needed
    Manage my and my wife's vehicle maintenance
    Replace my beloved HP 42S calculator for $15 and always have it with me
    No longer need a GPS unit, I love Maps

I purchased an iPhone 4 in June and haven't looked back. It's OS is far superior, even my 5 and 2-year-old have no problems navigating to the Alphabet, Numbers, and Dr Seuss book apps I have downloaded for them. BlackBerry's UI seem needlessly complex. I'll gladly pay money for a device that saves me time and is a joy to use.

RIM was a great company, but they got lazy and complacent. When people are willing to pay to use their own phone for work instead of taking a free company issued phone tells you something is wrong. Hopefully things improve soon at RIM so they too can push innovation in the marketplace like Android and iOS are doing now.
    See the bolded sentence, which is they way I feel about my S2. My S2 is a timesaver over an iphone, because I can customize it the way I want. I could have gotten a free phone, but I chose the S2 on BES after my Tour.

I don't have the requirement for online banking since I have that handled by my money managers. I don't have small kids. I need a good turn by turn nav when I'm not in my car. I require excellent email handling and good battery life. And with 3 viphones in the family I know exactly what I am talking about.

RIM still is a great company and what they do well they do better than iphone. When that changes I may rethink my position.
    10-31-11 09:37 AM
    What happened to it? Wouldn't VZW replace it if it was still under warranty?
    I sold it after I bought the iPhone 4 on VZW.
    10-31-11 10:09 AM
    When I first made the switch from a standard flip phone to a "smartphone"..my first foray into it was with a Windows 5 phone (see pic). I thought this thing was the shiznit! It was like a computer, I could watch movies, browse the web (somewhat), access word documents (not that I really needed to), and email somewhat.

When I started a business in '04, my business partner suggested getting a Blackberry..because that's what all the corporate guys used, and email was important. I got the old blue one with the scroll wheel (can't remember name) and while originally it felt so archaic next to my WinMo..i eventually grew to love it. After 6 or 8 months, I upgraded to one of the Curve lines with the trackball, and while web browsing was painful, it was still great for my needs. I began telling everyone about Blackberry's, and had that phone for awhile.

When the Storm 1 hit (after the iPHone had hit the market), I HAD to have it. This was my beloved RIM's counter-attack to the iphone, and it was my first foray into the whole Apple vs BB debate. I started on Crackberry (under an old name) for Tips and Tricks, and eventually got into the world of OS leaks, Hybrids etc. Shortly after the S1, came the S2, and I was tempted to get it, but I knew that there was an even better one on the horizon..the S3! I waited with baited breath and read any and all rumours about the upcoming S3. THIS was going to be my next phone (keep in mind this was in '08/'09). I waited, and waited, and waited some more. Surely RIM must be coming out with this thing SOON i thought. Finally, I got wind of another phone, the soon to be Torch 9800.

Despite all the Androids exploding on the market with their fancy "Snapdragon" processors, I figured RIM would finally deliver me the goods. When the specs were released, I was disappointed, but as most know, it's the software that counts. I was there the day the Torch was released, and had to drive 3 hours round trip from my job to pick one up. It was sweet! I was amazed how much quicker it seemed as far as browsing, and overall "snappiness". That soon faded, however, and in comparisons to the wife's i4, I knew my phone was lacking..AGAIN. From my early disdain of Apple products..I knew I wouldn't get one, but in the back of my head, I just couldn't stop thinking about these new Android phones, and all the cool hacks and stuff you could do. I began reading more and more on them, watching youtube demos and seeing how fast they were. After 2 months with my Torch, I bought a used Desire Z and soon my Torch was collecting dust. 3 months after that, I upgraded again to my current Atrix.

With RIM..it was many years of "waiting for the next best thing". There was always something on the horizon..and like a mule chasing a dangling carrot..I would wait, and defend. After all their latest debacles, I'm certainly glad I moved on. I've always loved their products, but the empty promises, and false hope, left me feeling like a battered spouse. Even now, reading these forums, I see the false hope in people. "Oh, it's only February for OS 2.0, i've waited this long, whats a few more months." etc. You can tell..these people are still new to RIM and their way of doing things. But the old veterans know better..as most have already said "Enough!", and moved on.
    Chrisy, VIDGMER, lssanjose and 1 others like this.
    10-31-11 10:25 AM
    When I first made the switch from a standard flip phone to a "smartphone"..my first foray into it was with a Windows 5 phone (see pic). I thought this thing was the shiznit! It was like a computer, I could watch movies, browse the web (somewhat), access word documents (not that I really needed to), and email somewhat.

Click to view quoted image

When I started a business in '04, my business partner suggested getting a Blackberry..because that's what all the corporate guys used, and email was important. I got the old blue one with the scroll wheel (can't remember name) and while originally it felt so archaic next to my WinMo..i eventually grew to love it. After 6 or 8 months, I upgraded to one of the Curve lines with the trackball, and while web browsing was painful, it was still great for my needs. I began telling everyone about Blackberry's, and had that phone for awhile.

When the Storm 1 hit (after the iPHone had hit the market), I HAD to have it. This was my beloved RIM's counter-attack to the iphone, and it was my first foray into the whole Apple vs BB debate. I started on Crackberry (under an old name) for Tips and Tricks, and eventually got into the world of OS leaks, Hybrids etc. Shortly after the S1, came the S2, and I was tempted to get it, but I knew that there was an even better one on the horizon..the S3! I waited with baited breath and read any and all rumours about the upcoming S3. THIS was going to be my next phone (keep in mind this was in '08/'09). I waited, and waited, and waited some more. Surely RIM must be coming out with this thing SOON i thought. Finally, I got wind of another phone, the soon to be Torch 9800.

Despite all the Androids exploding on the market with their fancy "Snapdragon" processors, I figured RIM would finally deliver me the goods. When the specs were released, I was disappointed, but as most know, it's the software that counts. I was there the day the Torch was released, and had to drive 3 hours round trip from my job to pick one up. It was sweet! I was amazed how much quicker it seemed as far as browsing, and overall "snappiness". That soon faded, however, and in comparisons to the wife's i4, I knew my phone was lacking..AGAIN. From my early disdain of Apple products..I knew I wouldn't get one, but in the back of my head, I just couldn't stop thinking about these new Android phones, and all the cool hacks and stuff you could do. I began reading more and more on them, watching youtube demos and seeing how fast they were. After 2 months with my Torch, I bought a used Desire Z and soon my Torch was collecting dust. 3 months after that, I upgraded again to my current Atrix.

With RIM..it was many years of "waiting for the next best thing". There was always something on the horizon..and like a mule chasing a dangling carrot..I would wait, and defend. After all their latest debacles, I'm certainly glad I moved on. I've always loved their products, but the empty promises, and false hope, left me feeling like a battered spouse. Even now, reading these forums, I see the false hope in people. "Oh, it's only February for OS 2.0, i've waited this long, whats a few more months." etc. You can tell..these people are still new to RIM and their way of doing things. But the old veterans know better..as most have already said "Enough!", and moved on.
    which is why i sold the 9930 and moved on to the iphone 4s. and today im very happy. 5-6 years of using blackberry and waiting and waiting. seeing how my friends did things faster than me on their androids and iphones. i had to move on. RIM will survive...they will come out with better phones...people still love and hate them...like every other smartphone. ill look into blackberry in 2012 and see what comes out...bbx or whateva new iphone is out
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-31-11 11:19 AM
    I sold it after I bought the iPhone 4 on VZW.
    Oh, that's cool. When I read "lasted 8 months" I thought it died.
    11-01-11 01:14 AM
    Oh, that's cool. When I read "lasted 8 months" I thought it died.
    Oh ok. Haha yea I meant it was only my device for 8 months until I wanted something else.
    11-01-11 10:09 AM
    I left my Blackberry Pearl for the first iPhone. The first time I saw the iPhone commercial, I knew I had to get it. So vibrant, simple, and elegant. They just seem to fit so well in my hand, and I've tried and tried to like Blackberry again. I had the 3GS, then moved to the BB 9780 because BBM seemed like the cool thing. It didn't last more than 2 months before I was back to the 3GS. When Apple announced the iPhone 4 with no white, I waited and waited and got fed up waiting so I bought the BB Torch. That, just like the 9780, lasted no more than 2 months, before I was back to my 3GS still waiting for the white iPhone 4. Finally, they released it, and I'm still in love with my iPhone 4
    11-01-11 03:51 PM
    the only issue i have found with my iphone is i cant get my ringtones from my blackberry without a whole bunch of downloads and conversions. doesnt matter to me, they were more to distract my son and make him giggle
    11-01-11 07:55 PM
    You all know me, am an ex-MOD on CrackBerry.com, a BlackBerry guru of sorts, and now, an iPhone user. I still support and run the BES server at work, too

I'm simply going to say this, after being sick and tired of trying to view websites on a BlackBerry (no matter the model), I decided to try a friends iPhone 3GS for a few days. I was simply hooked. Then I had to use the TomTom on it, and well, here I am 3 years later!

When the iPhone 3G came out, I tried it, sat in line for 6 hours to get one. But, the battery life was so bad, and notifications was purely terrible...

PS: with all the money I've invested in Apple and iTunes now, it is very hard to leave. Yes, they have me in their grasps
    Last edited by anon(153966); 11-02-11 at 08:23 AM. Reason: added a ps...
    moiselles, Chrisy and hunoosh like this.
    11-02-11 08:19 AM
    The need to do regular battery pulls? Memory leaks? I don't have any of those problems on my OS6 non-camera 9650. I guess I got a good one (Mexico 6). Or maybe it's the fact that mine doesn't have a camera. Those must be the better models.
    11-02-11 08:38 AM
    you must purchase iPhone 4s and forget blackberry ..Right now iPhone is the best cellular device all over the world
    11-02-11 11:55 AM
    I'm this ---- close to going back on my word and getting a BlackBerry BOLD 9900...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk...
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-06-11 05:55 AM
    I'm this ---- close to going back on my word and getting a BlackBerry BOLD 9900...

I'm with you Navi! Looking for a good deal on a 9650 right now, then upgrading to a 9930 when it's more stable.
    11-06-11 06:03 AM

Really? Thought u were a big time iPhone user
    11-06-11 06:04 AM
    There is no way I would get a BB OS7 device. BB OS is great, but it is not something I can see myself going back to at this point. I have also played with all the new device and still prefer the 9000 over all of them.

I also do not like plastic screens.
    11-06-11 07:37 AM
    you must purchase iPhone 4s and forget blackberry ..Right now iPhone is the best cellular device all over the world
    OK, I'll go do that right now. Nope.
    11-06-11 08:09 AM
    I'm back! I bought a BlackBerry BOLD 9900 from AT&T earlier today

Fun times; it is charging now...

I'm with you Navi! Looking for a good deal on a 9650 right now, then upgrading to a 9930 when it's more stable.

Chrisy likes this.
    11-06-11 05:09 PM

9650? why?

waiting for 99xx to become more stable? know something I don't?
    11-06-11 05:50 PM
    Apps not compatible with 9930 yet. The 9900 bricking issues making me nervous. 9930 has reports of errors too. Not nearly like the 9900. And http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...utions-648306/.

I would just rather wait til it has been out 6 months +.
    11-06-11 06:09 PM
    ...see, you don't know me. I'm a legend on CrackBerry.com -

Really? Thought u were a big time iPhone user
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-06-11 07:10 PM

I took the plunge. By night 1 I was ready to take the thing back. Wanted to give it some time though, so I kept it and got on with the business of trying to setup everything up to sync like I want and to get the phone working for me.

It never happened.

Syncing calendars and contacts over BIS is an unmitigated disaster. Only one calendar will sync and even then it doesn't do the job well. Contact sync is alright, but email and phone number designations (home, work, etc) don't sync right and there are many fields that won't sync at all. The Google Sync app is a little better, but not by much. It will sync multiple calendars, but it lumps them all into one big calendar on the device. All in all the syncing turn your personal data into an unorganized mess.

The lack of apps was not surprising, but still ultimately an issue. There were other things, but there is no sense in spending too much time jumping up and down on RIM. The build of the new Bold is extremely nice, great weight distribution and a solidly built BB. But at the end of the day it wasn't enough to keep me interested. I took my 9900 back tonight and re-activated my iPhone. I realize to each their own, but with the current state of BBOS and the lack of 3rd party developer support I can't rationalize paying the price RIM is asking for the 9900.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-11 08:00 PM
    ugahairydawgs, I agree with most of your points here. I'm switching back to my iPhone in twenty-four hours or so.

I like the viewing of emails, and calendar items on the iPhone. It is becoming clearer to me now that I'm becoming a true Apple product user. I've tried various BlackBerry's over the last two years, and I ALWAYS end up back on an iPhone.
    11-08-11 08:27 PM
    ^^^ For some reason I like BB better. That's why I have an ipad and S2. To each their own.
    lssanjose likes this.
    11-08-11 08:39 PM
    Syncing calendars and contacts over BIS is an unmitigated disaster. Only one calendar will sync and even then it doesn't do the job well. Contact sync is alright, but email and phone number designations (home, work, etc) don't sync right and there are many fields that won't sync at all. The Google Sync app is a little better, but not by much. It will sync multiple calendars, but it lumps them all into one big calendar on the device. All in all the syncing turn your personal data into an unorganized mess.
    I only use one calendar so I found the Google calendar sync via BIS to be usable. It was the contacts that I thought "an unmitigated disaster". My contacts data would just get scrambled. I switched back to using a USB cable.

The 9900 is beautiful hardware with some limitations (e.g. the camera). A BB works great if you are willing to pay for BIS (except for the truncated mail problem) but BIS is complete garbage. Almost any other smartphone OS will work better (Symbian won't but that system is almost dead anyway).
    11-08-11 09:12 PM
    ugahairydawgs, I agree with most of your points here. I'm switching back to my iPhone in twenty-four hours or so.

I like the viewing of emails, and calendar items on the iPhone. It is becoming clearer to me now that I'm becoming a true Apple product user. I've tried various BlackBerry's over the last two years, and I ALWAYS end up back on an iPhone.
    'atta boy, Navi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-11 10:42 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD