Years ago when I chose a provider I chose VZW because of coverage. At the time the iPhone did not even exist and smartphones, well they were for business people. Fast forward to my second BB the 8830 ( I had a 7700 with Sprint) although it had no camera. I liked the phone because of email and messaging. Soon after came the 8330, then the Storm I soon went to the 9630 and after the trackball mess VZW gave me a 9650 and I thought I was a BB fan for life. I had some other phones mixed in like both Treos Palm and Windows. I briefly switched to ATT and got an IPhone 3GS, that was short lived due to coverage issues but, I did like the iPhone. VZW made a great offer to come back 2 months free service and the phone of my choice I chose the OG Droid and stayed with Android devices, although I liked them for the most part (The DroidX was by far my favorite). When VZW announced the iPhone was available I waited to see how it panned out well I picked one up off contract and have not turned back. The reason I chose the iPhone was quite simple it just works no rooting, no hybrids or memory shrinks to prevent battery pulls. I spend my day as a Systems Analyst and have no desire to come home and jack around with a phone. Also the reason I bought my wife a MacBook and a Pro for myself.

So quite frankly I did not get 4000 posts here as an iPhone user. And to those BB folks that don't remember the Storm debacle I was the one who fixed the keyboard issue on the first update by changing cod files.

Just thought I would share my reason for buying an iPhone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    avt123, Garz, The Gift and 3 others like this.
    10-24-11 06:28 PM
    My turn:

I started out with the VZW 8330 as my first smartphone. Loved that device, worked without issues. Great battery. Locked down GPS and inability to view YouTube videos prompted me to upgrade to the 9630.

Went from best device I ever owned to the worst! I was an early adaptor and paid the price. That device had so many glitches upon release, too many to list. Then came an official VZW OS upgrade, finally! However, that upgrade bricked my 9630, and many many others.

I put up with the initial glitches and bugs, looked past the app errors and crashes, and spent time reloading the OS and restoring data and download apps and entering pins over and over.

Final straw was that last update that bricked it with Technical Error: Please return to place of purchase. I had it! Couldn't stand losing my info, finding a computer to fix my phone and restore.

More and more the shortcoming bugged me. Crap browser, no ota backup, Google Voice sticking. So I was eligible to upgrade and waited for a new BB...and waited...and waited. None to be had. Jumped ship.

Left for Android pretty annoyed with BlackBerry. Very frustrated.

That's why I left.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-24-11 at 07:30 PM.
    10-24-11 07:28 PM
    I switched from my WM Nextel device to a 8330 on Sprint. Due to Sprints horrible coverage (in an excellent coverage zone) and since I was dropping 75% of all calls, I decided to leave for AT&T when the 3G came out. I loved the device but the battery life sucked and it dropped a lot of calls. I then picked up an 9000 on AT&T launch day. It was my favorite BB ever.

Soon after I come to realize my 9000 was dropping a ton of calls too, but I figured I'd stay with AT&T because they have the best devices and SIM swapping was a great thing. I then picked up a 3GS. It was much improved over the 3G, but still had pretty poor battery life.

That device also dropped a ton of calls (AT&Ts network). I then decided to buy the 9700 on my business premier account. I received the 9700 over a week before it was officially released. I don't know if it was the first batch but it was a POS device. The build quality was garbage. I went through 5 of them in 2 weeks. The trackpad was recessed into the device, the keys were clicky and not premium feeling like the 9000, the bezel creaked on all of them and the overall feel just did not feel as good at the 9000.

After that I decided AT&T was no longer an option for me. I left for VZW and bought the Droid. I didn't buy a BB because the Storm was garbage IMO, the 9630 had tons of defects, and I definitely did not want an underpowered Curve. Let's not even mention the lack of OpenGL support at a time where every other platform was pushing it.

After the Droid I bought the Droid X. It was an excellent device, but it only lasted me about 8 months. I then bought the iPhone 4 on VZW customer only pre-order day. My order number was in the 2000s out of 500k. I was very excited I would be able to have an iPhone again with great battery life and multitasking without jailbreaking. I was also happy I wouldn't have to worry about dropped calls any more.

Since owning the iPhone 4 I have no looked back. I know I will have another Android and BB device in the future. I love all three platforms and am extremely comfortable with them.

Well, that's my story. If I had to choose a BB right now I would stil get the 9000. I really loved that device.
    10-24-11 10:16 PM
    thx for sharing your insights guys/gals !! I'm sure you've seen me posting in the the iPhone section here and there

I'm on a bb right now, and just waiting(not patiently mind you lol) to have an upgrade avail to switch to the iP4S. I've always liked the iPhone since at&t had it, but because i was on Vzw, switching was not feasible, and where i live, coverage for at&t was not great at that time.

I was sooo psyched that VzW finally got the iPhone, but just 3 mths prior(dec 2010) to that i had already upgraded my 8330 to the bold 9650 i have now SOOOO now i'm just about a yr into my 2yr contract, on OS6 that i shrank, leaks mem where batt pulls every other day are necessary(getting very tired of that BTW) I really do like the functionality of my bb, BUT i have to admit, i use my iPad for everything now online if i dont have my laptop. I very rarely use the browser on my bb anymore.

also after seeing one of my daughters & the hubbys iPhone function just work without having to do extras with, i'm ready to just move on for now. Perhaps one day i may come back to bb when i finally do move to an iPhone. we'll see
    Chrisy, hunoosh and The Gift like this.
    10-25-11 07:42 AM
    My first smartphone was the BlackBerry Pearl 8100. Great little phone. I loved how small it was! I hadn't even heard of "Crackberry" and really knew nothing about BlackBerry other than important business people used them. I thought maybe if I had BlackBerry I'd look important too! I couldn't afford any of the other BBs and chose the Pearl because of it's size and cost.

Then came the iPhone. My husband (who at the time was still just my boyfriend) jumped on the iPhone bandwagon and got himself a 3G. I was in awe! Jealous! But I was on T-Mobile and didn't want to switch carriers at the time. Someone else in my office also got the iPhone and I was green with envy. Such a fast phone with an easy user interface.

Right before my husband and I got married two years ago, we decided I would switch to AT&T and we'd have a family plan. Once I switched, I picked up the 3GS. LOVED it! Until I dropped it, cracked the screen and the speakers started crapping out on me because I dropped it too much (I'm clumsy). Finally, my 3GS just... died on me. The screen went black, wouldn't turn on, wouldn't charge, nothing. So I gave up. I thought I'd give BB another try.

I was pretty dead set on the 9700 AT&T offered, but when I went in to my local store, the lady sold me on the Torch 9800 for all of it's media capabilities (and it was only $99!). I really like the Torch. It felt good to be back with BB. However, after a few months, I quickly became annoyed with the slider. My slider was rock solid, never had any wiggle or issues. I just HATED always sliding it out to type. And my touchscreen (coming from an iPhone) just was not up to par to use it fulltime without ever sliding out the keyboard.

I was pretty deadset on going with the new Curve or new Bold this summer, but as my other BB peers were getting their new BBs from different providers, I felt left in the cold at AT&T and stuck with this slider that I didn't like. Two of the girls in my office have iPhone4s and I played with them a little and decided that I'd get the new iPhone once it was announced. I was ready to leave BlackBerry, I missed the beautiful screen, the sharp graphics, and the overall speed and ease of use.

So once the 4S was announced, I preordered and I'm soooo happy. I'm just loving my iPhone. It just works and does so with extreme fluidity.
    10-25-11 09:08 AM
    Cool stories. I'm still with my first and only smartphone, the infamous tour you mention. I must be lucky cause it's the original one I got all most 2 years ago and still working great.

I never even wanted a smartphone at the time I just needed a phone that had bluetooth for talking while driving. I was looking for a phone with bluetooth and a usb modem for my laptop. Was told I could tether the bb and that was cheaper then a phone plus a usb modem so that is the way I went.

I really went for cheapest option to get those things done. I found the bb had some nice features that I do use and it does everything I needed since I'm not much for surfing on such a tiny screen, that is what my laptop is for.

Fast forward and I replaced my laptop with a playbook for on the go, still have my laptop and use it at home. While I really like the playbook, the OS etc. I'm getting worn waiting for the update that will give it the functionality it should have had to start with. Now the lastest rumor is that the update will be deleyed once again until Feb.

If it deleyed for that long you can add me to another not satisfied customer and probably a lost customer. When is win8 coming out?
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-25-11 10:23 AM

Fast forward and I replaced my laptop with a playbook for on the go, still have my laptop and use it at home. While I really like the playbook, the OS etc. I'm getting worn waiting for the update that will give it the functionality it should have had to start with. Now the lastest rumor is that the update will be deleyed once again until Feb.

If it deleyed for that long you can add me to another not satisfied customer and probably a lost customer. When is win8 coming out?
    A few things:

- I'd take the Feb. rumor with a grain of salt, especially since the source is BGR. No offense to the site, but they love posting "analysts" and rumors very frequently; often, of course, being very wrong. I don't think it will be out next month either, but sadly with RIM, who knows....

Anyway, with a tablet (any maker: Apple, RIM, etc.), you have to buy it for what it has, not what it might have in the future.

Moving on....

- Windows 8 right now doesn't have a ship date. Early beta released this year, so my guess would be Holiday 2012? I've heard rumors that Win8 tablets won't even start to be produced until at earliest next summer. I figure 2012 for the release due to the public preview of it. Gives Microsoft a good 8 months to get a GM ready to press and turn around for the holidays. Worse case I'd say Q1 2013, but with the hype of the tablet interface, I think they'd be making a big mistake letting Apple (and whoever else) milk the tablet sales for Christmas 2012.
    10-25-11 11:15 AM
    RIM would rush updates, or cease them without notice. The final straw was the storm 2 debacle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-25-11 01:48 PM
    ^^^You've heard me say I've had my S2 for quite a while and it's been a workhorse and dropped on the cement a few times to boot. The camera may not be as good as the iphone, but the thing gets the job done for what I need a smartphone for. In that vein, the iphone does not do anything better than my S2.
    10-25-11 09:46 PM
    ^^^You've heard me say I've had my S2 for quite a while and it's been a workhorse and dropped on the cement a few times to boot. The camera may not be as good as the iphone, but the thing gets the job done for what I need a smartphone for. In that vein, the iphone does not do anything better than my S2.
    I understand your desire to defend the s2. By debacle I was referring to OS support. Our needs are different , so our opinions or feelings about the s2 will differ

10-25-11 10:08 PM
    The reason why I love BlackBerry, it can communicate better than anything else in the market.

The reason I never went iPhone, it can't touch any par levels of a BlackBerry's productivity.

The reason why I am leaving BlackBerry, iOS5 has pulled some of the key ingredients from Android and Blackberry that will make productivity on the iPhone...productive.

A BlackBerry can't permeate my entire life like an iPhone can and (I think) I am willing to give up some productivity in communication to have a device that can impact my entire life like an iPhone can.

We will see!
    hunoosh likes this.
    10-25-11 10:29 PM
    8330/8330m/9630/9650/9930 all blackberry devices ive own while on sprint. i converted many to blackberry/bbm. now most have left to android or iphone. last year i tried android and hated it. returned it next day and went back to 9650 and promised myself im a blackberry for life. i got 9930 aug 21 and was totally excited. nothing bad with this phone. then news break on october 3 iphone4s coming to Sprint. immediately i pre-order and wonder "hey why not?" i was scared on how typing would be on it and how it handeled emails. long story short...i sold my blackberry 9930 yesterday...and please with iphone. has totally gone beyond my expectations. im not bashing RIM nor hate them. will eventually look at BBX next year and whatever new iphone comes out. but for now i have decided to make switch and not looking back. im satisfied with how it handles my emails. on day 2 i was already typing fast on the touchscreen. no matter what i always read crackberry and especially the blackberry forums. i like RIM and expect big things for them in 2012. for now ill be watching on the sideline with my white iPhone4S on my hands. FYI...im keeping my playbook
    Maine likes this.
    10-25-11 10:34 PM
    The reason why I love BlackBerry, it can communicate better than anything else in the market.

The reason I never went iPhone, it can't touch any par levels of a BlackBerry's productivity.

The reason why I am leaving BlackBerry, iOS5 has pulled some of the key ingredients from Android and Blackberry that will make productivity on the iPhone...productive.

A BlackBerry can't permeate my entire life like an iPhone can and (I think) I am willing to give up some productivity in communication to have a device that can impact my entire life like an iPhone can.

We will see!
    exactly what i have noticed in my case....
    10-25-11 10:37 PM
    the i4s is a great device.i have played with it a whole lot.it would be hard not to buy it if you were going apple all the way.
    10-26-11 03:01 AM
    Me next, to be honest my reason for leaving BlackBerry can be sussed from an old thread I started here on CrackBerry about a year ago:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...z-gone-420613/

Here is a quote from it..
    I don't know about you guys, but I had high hopes for the Storm2, however its getting really hard to stay faithful and content with my purchase when everytime I turn on the TV, read a tech blog or open a magazine...there is ANOTHER useful/fun app/service being released on the iPhone and no support for the Blackberry Storm2.
    If you don't have time to read it, to sum it up.. I felt let down by RIM, and after 3 years with 2 qwerty phones and 1 Touch. It was time to say enough is enough.

The highs were my time with the 8310, then 8900 and the lows were my time with the Storm2.

I will never say never to returning... but right now I've never felt happier with my choice of smartphone.
    Last edited by The Gift; 10-26-11 at 09:24 AM.
    10-26-11 08:54 AM
    Well, I'm still with BlackBerry. Why? I can't stand Apple and anything they stand for although I do own a couple of iPods full of mp3 music. One is for long haul flights and the other lives in my car. Winamp does my music transfers.

I started with BlackBerrys when I was given a 7230 for work. This got upgraded to a 7280. The best phone I ever owned was the 8310 running OS5. The keyboard was the best I have EVER used, battery life was great and it never fell over. I keep one of my 8310s in my car as a spare with a pre-paid SIM in it and another for traveling using local SIM cards.

I now have 9700 and whilst I love the browser I hate the rest of OS6. Imo, OS 5 was a lot easier to use and indeed worked better. For this reason I have not upgraded to an OS7 device. I eagerly await QNX devices but I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be the usual RIM BS of incremental improvements with no one release fully working. If that is the case, then it will be bye, bye BlackBerry for me.

Where will I go? Certainly not Android. That OS, whilst wildly popular is a real mess inside. No, I shall probably either abandon smartphones entirely and get a feature phone that has a full keyboard and a large screen or I shall buy a Windows Phone device.

Before making a decision though I shall want to actually see the device first.
    10-26-11 09:13 AM
    I understand your desire to defend the s2. By debacle I was referring to OS support. Our needs are different , so our opinions or feelings about the s2 will differ

Well I do have an ipad, which has given me a real appreciation for some of the things BB does much better. Along the same lines, owning the ipad has given me an appreciation of things apple does well, as well.

For me, it's about the email. When I retire, in 10 years, I'll get a droid. If BB fails, I'll get an iphone and when I retire I'll get a Droid, lol.
    10-26-11 10:32 AM
    I left because i can. I have had an ipod touch for a few months now, and quite frankly i like the way it worked. The iPhone is better and functions as i need it to.
    10-26-11 12:38 PM
    I was tired of battery pulls, random reboots, glitchy OS, trackballs that stopped scrolling, trackpads that wobbled, light leaks long the bezel, and creaky bezels. Did I miss anything? I'm sure I did.
    10-26-11 12:44 PM
    ^^^ I know about those iphone issue, what were the issues with the Blackberry?
    10-26-11 12:46 PM
    Started with an 8703e on Verizon. Went to the 8300 Curve when it was the hottest thing
    going. Got it on launch day for AT&T. Bold 9000 and eventually liked the 3GS once I was
    able to jailbreak and multitask. Would switch sim cards between a 9700 and the 3GS. Then
    I realized Blackberry just sucked for me and went iPhone full time.
    lssanjose likes this.
    10-26-11 01:55 PM
    Started with a Pearl 8120 on T-Mobile that I bought myself. It was an okay phone, but after a promotion I got a Bold 9000 from my employer. That was a great phone for calls, messaging and email.

Then my sister-in-law sold me her iPod touch when she got her iPhone 3GS. People make fun of the usless "fart apps" that are in the App Store, but with so many choices there are a lot of very useful and easy to use apps. I could:
    Do light online banking
    Surf the Web easily with Safari
    Remote to servers, both at home and work, securely in a pinch if needed
    Manage my and my wife's vehicle maintenance
    Replace my beloved HP 42S calculator for $15 and always have it with me
    No longer need a GPS unit, I love Maps

I purchased an iPhone 4 in June and haven't looked back. It's OS is far superior, even my 5 and 2-year-old have no problems navigating to the Alphabet, Numbers, and Dr Seuss book apps I have downloaded for them. BlackBerry's UI seem needlessly complex. I'll gladly pay money for a device that saves me time and is a joy to use.

RIM was a great company, but they got lazy and complacent. When people are willing to pay to use their own phone for work instead of taking a free company issued phone tells you something is wrong. Hopefully things improve soon at RIM so they too can push innovation in the marketplace like Android and iOS are doing now.
    10-27-11 11:35 AM
    Started with a Pearl 8120 on T-Mobile that I bought myself. It was an okay phone, but after a promotion I got a Bold 9000 from my employer. That was a great phone for calls, messaging and email.

Then my sister-in-law sold me her iPod touch when she got her iPhone 3GS. People make fun of the usless "fart apps" that are in the App Store, but with so many choices there are a lot of very useful and easy to use apps. I could:
    Do light online banking
    Surf the Web easily with Safari
    Remote to servers, both at home and work, securely in a pinch if needed
    Manage my and my wife's vehicle maintenance
    Replace my beloved HP 42S calculator for $15 and always have it with me
    No longer need a GPS unit, I love Maps

I purchased an iPhone 4 in June and haven't looked back. It's OS is far superior, even my 5 and 2-year-old have no problems navigating to the Alphabet, Numbers, and Dr Seuss book apps I have downloaded for them. BlackBerry's UI seem needlessly complex. I'll gladly pay money for a device that saves me time and is a joy to use.

RIM was a great company, but they got lazy and complacent. When people are willing to pay to use their own phone for work instead of taking a free company issued phone tells you something is wrong. Hopefully things improve soon at RIM so they too can push innovation in the marketplace like Android and iOS are doing now.
    Closing paragraph summed it up nicely

Chrisy and Rickroller like this.
    10-27-11 01:56 PM
    Well, I'm still with BlackBerry. Why? I can't stand Apple and anything they stand for although I do own a couple of iPods full of mp3 music.
    I feel the same way about Microsoft that you do about Apple. I can't stand them and everything they stand for but I do have MS Office on my Mac so I can read docs and spreadsheets from PCs. This obviously rules out any consideration of Windows Phone for me.

Though I have a Mac, I use an iPad more often. So when the 9900 did not appear on AT&T, the iPhone was the natural choice to replace my 9700.
    10-28-11 02:46 PM

After the Droid I bought the Droid X. It was an excellent device, but it only lasted me about 8 months.
    What happened to it? Wouldn't VZW replace it if it was still under warranty?
    10-31-11 12:13 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD