I have the 9700 and i love it unconditionally and would not pick any other phone over a blackberry....except for an Iphone.

The only problem is that i have it on tmo and i pay 80 bucks a month for messaging and blakcberry web. But with ATT i would pay 90 before taxes with messaging and web for the iphone.

I dont use the phone that often but i would still like to have minutes for voice calling.

Is there anyway i can get a voice plan of just like 200 minutes with a certain ammount of nights and weekends?
    02-19-10 07:30 PM
    The only cheaper plans that I know of on AT&T are the senior plans. But I don't
    know what type of proof that would need to be provided.
    02-19-10 07:36 PM
    The only cheaper plans that I know of on AT&T are the senior plans. But I don't
    know what type of proof that would need to be provided.
    Dang ok. Thanks.

I know you used to be able to use a prepaid plan for the Iphone but they did away with that. I wish they still had that.
    02-19-10 07:39 PM
    Do you qualify for any ATT Premier discounts? If you go to college or through work you may qualify for 15% off.

I know my 450 min and data for iphone (no texts) is about $71 AFTER taxes and the 15% off (normally $81.46).

For what you want Itd be 39.99+20+30= $90 + 11.46 in taxes/fees= $101.46 full price

with 15% off (the $90 min/data/texts portion) equaling $13.50 in savings, itd be $87.96 a month or so after taxes.

Only talking about $7-8 difference a month after tax then the $80 youre paying with Tmo
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-19-10 at 07:50 PM.
    02-19-10 07:41 PM
    Do you qualify for any ATT Premier discounts? If you go to college or through work you may qualify for 15% off.

I know my 450 min and data for iphone (no texts) is about $71 AFTER taxes and the 15% off (normally $81.46).

Itd be 39.99+20+30= $90 + 11.46 in taxes/fees= $101.46 full price

with 15% off the $90 min/data/texts ($13.50 savings) itd be $87.96 a month or so after taxes.

Only talking about $7-8 difference a month after tax then the $80 youre paying with Tmo
    Wow...i do go to college.

I am also a full time student.

Can i take advantage of this as long as i am a full time student?

What about the summer months?
    02-19-10 07:51 PM
    all year long

pop your school email into https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/

itll send you an email to your school account with a link to your school's premier store if they participate and show you the % off the plan when you click to look at the plans. Usually colleges are around 15% off the monthly plan. My law school was a small school (maybe 4000 with the undergrads) and we still got 15%, most of the big colleges get them for sure.

I also suspect once you graduate the discount continues, they dont require re-verification every year or what not to check if you still go there. So as long as you dont get rid of ATT it should continue.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-19-10 at 07:57 PM.
    02-19-10 07:53 PM
    all year long

pop your school email into https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/

itll send you an email to your school account with a link to your school's premier store if they participate and show you the % off the plan when you click to look at the plans. Usually colleges are around 15% off the monthly plan

I also suspect once you graduate the discount continues, they dont require re-verification every year or what not. Should stick as long as you keep ATT even once you graduate.
    Wow. Ok thanks a bunch dude.

And you said all year long? So i would have to take classes during summer months also?
    02-19-10 07:56 PM
    No i mean the discount is every month even if your not in class. Its basically a permanent discount put it that way until you get rid of ATT.

give it a try once you get in your premier store just add the plan, data and texts in you cart on there and itll tell you a total monthly then tack on about $11-12 for taxes/fees.

I just did it on mine, but I guess they discount the voice/data but not the texts. so itll be like my plan $71 after taxes plus the $20 texts, so $91. Its still not a huge difference from $80 or so, 2 fast food meals a month (if that these days). If you REALLY want an iphone an extra $10 a month shouldnt be a big deal
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-19-10 at 08:12 PM.
    02-19-10 07:58 PM
    No i mean the discount is every month even if your not in class. Its basically a permanent discount put it that way until you get rid of ATT.

give it a try once you get in your premier store just add the plan, data and texts in you cart on there and itll tell you a total monthly then tack on about $11-12 for taxes/fees. Gives you an idea of your total monthly bill after taxes but it should be about $88.
    Oh wow. That is really cool! Thanks a lot dude!

Im having problems logging into my school email from home so i will have to talk to IT at school but wow, thanks for the info.

How do you like the iphone btw?
    02-19-10 08:09 PM
    Premier Discounts are applied to any charge on your plan over $29.99 I believe. I know when I had my BIS and Text plans seperate ($30 and $20 respectively) I was paying more than when I switched to the $50 BIS/Text bundle because of the discount price limit.

So its not 15% off your ENTIRE bill, just on any charges over $29.99.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-10 12:11 AM
    As I said it doesnt include the $20 text plan but yes the voice and data plans. Theres no iphone option of combined data and texts for $50 to use the discount on unfortunately that i know of.
    02-20-10 12:37 AM
    As I said it doesnt include the $20 text plan but yes the voice and data plans. Theres no iphone option of combined data and texts for $50 to use the discount on unfortunately that i know of.
    Dang ok. I will have to get a figure from someone at ATT.
    02-20-10 02:37 AM
    I was going to get an iphone 3gs, but went with jailbroke 3g to use on local carrier...
    with discounts from work:
    att 450min 250 text, data....$62 not sure of %,
    cinbell 500 min unlimited text/data $45
    02-20-10 07:53 AM
    Another thing you can think about is not having a texting plan and using one of the texting apps. I have a couple friends that use one of the apps (paid version for a couple bucks) and they say it works great and they don't have to pay 20 bucks a month to AT&T for the unlimited texting plan. Maybe something you want to look into to keep your monthly costs down.
    02-20-10 11:30 AM
    Another thing you can think about is not having a texting plan and using one of the texting apps. I have a couple friends that use one of the apps (paid version for a couple bucks) and they say it works great and they don't have to pay 20 bucks a month to AT&T for the unlimited texting plan. Maybe something you want to look into to keep your monthly costs down.
    Well are there any good ones?

Because i have a texting app on my itouch and i would hate to have that as my regular texting.

It was like 6 bucks.
    02-20-10 11:32 AM
    Well are there any good ones?

Because i have a texting app on my itouch and i would hate to have that as my regular texting.

It was like 6 bucks.
    Not sure which one is the best. The best thing to do is try them all (as they all have a free version) and read the user reviews for them to see what the pros can cons are for each. It would be a small sacrifice to have your iPhone and save some money too
    02-20-10 11:34 AM
    Not sure which one is the best. The best thing to do is try them all (as they all have a free version) and read the user reviews for them to see what the pros can cons are for each. It would be a small sacrifice to have your iPhone and save some money too
    Ya that is very true!

I did the calculations and after the 15% off and tax for my state it would be about 85.67....and w.e other fees there are. So probably about 90 bucks?
    02-20-10 11:36 AM
    Try TextFree or TextNow, 2 of the better ones. I think theyre both under $4.

I dont feel those apps are much different than the stock SMS app, the look and feel similar, other than you cant send MMS. But $20/month for texting is steep in itself.

And yeh, about $91, they only take the 15% off the voice and data, which mine is $71 after taxes for the base 450 min and data, so add $20, about $90-91
    02-20-10 11:48 AM
    good alternative to use a text app, I know if you jailbreak it there are a few good ones as well
    02-20-10 12:27 PM
    You could always just get an unlocked/jailbroken iPhone or a factory unlocked one and use it on T-Mobile with your blackberry plan.
    02-21-10 03:35 PM
    Try TextFree or TextNow, 2 of the better ones. I think theyre both under $4.

I dont feel those apps are much different than the stock SMS app, the look and feel similar, other than you cant send MMS. But $20/month for texting is steep in itself.

And yeh, about $91, they only take the 15% off the voice and data, which mine is $71 after taxes for the base 450 min and data, so add $20, about $90-91
    Those apps aren't as good as regular texting.
    02-21-10 03:36 PM
    TextNow is alright if you use it with your Google Voice number.

Although now that GVMax can set it up with any IM app with Google Talk, it's totally worthless. Saves me however much AT&T charges for texting.
    02-21-10 04:00 PM
    I think everyone knows that the apps are going to be just as good as the native texting, but in the interest of saving a few bucks, a person may want to make the sacrifice so they can have their iPhone and keep their cost down. This is probably why we suggested that they try it and see how they like it. Some people can deal with it and other can't. I have several friends who are quite satisfied with the texting apps especially given that they don't have to shell out 20 bucks to AT&T and also have skype accounts.
    02-22-10 08:37 AM
    I dont find any difference between these apps and the native SMS app. Same (even more) function and works the same way with a push notification and having to open the app. Dont know how anyone could say theyre better or worse.

And I agree $.99 for an app that saves you $240 a year in texting charges? Cmon, no brainer
    02-22-10 11:11 AM
    try to get a family plan with some people and split the cost of the voice plan.
    02-22-10 11:15 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD