Even though its made leaps and bounds in the last 30 months, don't you ever wonder why the jesus-phone STILL doesn't do a number of different things that my phone 6 years ago could do? I have long wondered the same thing. But then I started thinking about all the customers I have coming in switching from X-phone to the iPhone, and their reasons for switching. Most of them had tried some other smartphone OS at some point, whether it was android, or blackberry, or winmo, or some form of symbian. I started realizing that the number one reason why people didn't like their previous device was because it was "slow".

Now, being a gadget addict, I obviously am always a little skeptical of someone who complains about a particular device being slow, and start asking probing questions to see why their device might be slow.

The first thing I ask is usually, "Do you have a memory card?" Now working at At&t, there are 3 possible scenarios for that question; yes, no, or yes. The second yes is people who think a sim card IS a memory card. Now out of those three possibilities, you would be amazed at the number of smartphone users out there who do not have any from of external memory. Now anybody who knows anything about anything gadgety knows that not having a memory card installed, particularly on a blackberry, will cause your phone to go to phone-****. But for those who don't know anything about anything let me explain it to you. Everything your phone does uses memory, from a phone call to a picture. There are two types of memory, storage, and application memory. Think of it like your computer, there are 3 main internal components, the cpu, the RAM, and the hard drive. Phones have the same composition.
    The cpu is what powers the applications and everything the phone does.
    RAM, depending on your smartphone os, does a couple different things.
    The "hard drive" on a phone is a little different. Sometimes the RAM and the storage memory rely on the same source, again, depending on your device.
    On a blackberry, without an external source of memory, there is very little room to work with. For example, a curve 8310 has 64mb of ram, but that is allocated to storage AND ram, so it runs out very quickly. All of your sms texts, mms, emails, pictures, videos, ringtones, phone call logs, everything, takes up storage memory. When you install an application, it in installed to storage memory, but while the application is running, the information that the application needs to run uses the ram to store it.
    Winmo and symbian work the same way, except you can install applications to the storage card so it only uses the phones internal resources while its running.
    So let's say you installed facebook on your blackberry, and its been running, receiving updates, etc for a week, you have your browser open, the calculator, your address book, took say, 50 pictures, one video, say a measly 1000 sms, 5 mms, and 100 emails. Well guess what, now your memory is full. So those 1000 sms, 5 mms, and 100 emails are gone. The phone deleted all non-vital information to keep the it from self-destructing. If you had closed a few of those running apps, you might have prevented this from happening. Or better yet, if you had put those 50 pictures and video on a memory card you'd have been fine too.
    Winmo and symbian aren't so nice. Once the memory gets full, the device will just lock up and refuse to respond to everything from button presses to vulgar language.
    Having a memory card installed in your device will greatly improve your satisfaction with the device, because it will prevent your memory from being filled up so easily by all the junk you keep on your phone.

The second thing I do when people are unsatisfied with their device, complaining about it freezing up, being slow, etc is to look and see how many apps they have open. People always say they don't use their phone for anything but texting, but when I look at their open apps, there's usually 10-15 OPEN. That will kill your phone. Most of the times its the calculator, address book, call log, messaging app of some sort, plus a few other random games or stupid apps. The reason they are open, and the point I'm trying to get at, is people are ignorant. I'm not saying stupid, because for the most part, people just have no clue what the difference between actually closing an app and punching that red button at the bottom is. They just hit the end button and forget about it.

The iPhone though, you don't have to worry about any of that, because it has built in storage, anywhere from 4gb to 32gb now, to put all your junk on, apps, messages, pictures, videos, whatever. And since apps can't be open in the background, all you have to do is hit the only button on the front of the phone to get back to your pretty little home screen. All the ram that app was using is freed up now, just like if you actually closed an app on any other os, instead of hitting the end button. That is one reason everybody loved the old school palm os, because it just freaking worked. It never froze up, it did exactly what you wanted it to do. Well guess what palm os and iphone os have in common? No multitasking. When you hit that home button, that app is closed, not just pushed into the background. If apple had allowed multitasking on the iPhone, people would be just as unhappy with it as they are with blackberries, tilts, e-series devices, and everything else.

We have been spoiled by that stupid red button on our phones for decades now, it made it so easy to get out of whatever we were doing, just like flipping that razr closed and opening it back up. So spoiled, in fact that it has killed peoples perception of very powerful smartphone operating systems, and caused us to be overwhelmed by a over-hyped, under powered, dumbed down, awesome device. Everybody loves the iphone. Even me, a die hard crackberry addict, I love the iphone. Its so easy, my 65 year old grandma always is bugging my grandpa to let her use his iphone, which you will never see him without. With the imminent release of multitasking on the iphone, I can't help but wonder if this will kill the perception of the iphone like it has everything else. People will be so used to an app closing and going away when they hit that home button, that they won't know any better. And with the number of apps an average iphone owner has on their device, you could see people having 50+ apps running simultaneously, which I don't know about you, but that makes me cringe! So we will just have to wait and see how this whole thing rolls out.

Apple, don't screw up. You have the opportunity to accomplish something no other smartphone manufacturer has been able to do yet, and that is implement multi-tasking and get over our ignorance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-10 07:56 PM
    thank you for your long read. I agree with you.
    02-01-10 03:41 PM
    Extremely well-written and not even an ounce of fan-boi-ism in there. I completely agree. People complain about battery life now, imagine if they had pandora, live stock updates, and a sports scores program on live updates, all on at the same time. They'd freak out wondering why their phone died in 2 hours or leSs from a full charge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-10 09:00 PM
    And what is really cool is that none of the phone manufacturers have learned a damn thing from Apple. YOU HAVE TO PUT MORE INTERNAL MEMORY INTO YOUR PHONE. Was I yelling? Darn right I was yelling. I have a Storm UGH but I finally have it where it works, took well over a year. I want Verizon to get the iphone no matter what. I want an Iphone but don't want AT&T another UGH. I hear that the Iphone is getting CDMA but Sprint and Verizon don't want anything to do with Apple. I think maybe Apple needs to loosen up a bit too. They could sell an amazing amount of phones on a good network. Do any of the manufacturers read these posts? ARE YOU LISTENING?

George
    02-01-10 09:23 PM
    I completely agree with you. I've had every iPhone at every release and got bored after a few weeks when the 3GS came out, so switched back to Verizon and a Blackberry. Recently I had an itch for an iPhone and luckily my boss had a mint 16gb 3G she gave me so I just got prepaid data for it (Yes you can do this). Today I noticed that it's just laying there on my desk. I completely forgot about it and came to the conclusion it just doesnt interest me. It's a beautiful phone but there are just so many things wrong with it and it doesn't compare to my berry (at least my personal needs). Apple needs a refresh ASAP. I'm surprised people still 'Wow!' at the iPhone. There are only a handful of apps that are decent and without apps, who the **** would want an iphone so bad?

Im afraid especially with the release of the iPad that apple is only looking out for the typical 'consumer'. Us advanced users get stuck using crippled devices when we know their true potential.
    02-02-10 09:15 AM
    You kno should be done to the blackberries and iphone. FLASH SUPPORT!!! how long have both phones been out?? and yet no flash support. What the H*LL is taking so long steve jobs and rim??
    02-02-10 10:43 AM
    The iPhone is the smartphone for the masses, and it was always that way. By that I mean it's supposed to be easy to use right out of the box, no memory cleaning and trying to maximize, no checking what apps you have running, no microSD card, no removable battery for the door to get loose, just take it out, charge it, use it, and pay. Why did they do it that way? Because they're a little bit expensive, and the people with that kind of money are not really people who are into messing with their gadgets, they just want to pay and play. They don't need to multitask, and do all that "fancy stuff", they like to pinch and zoom, flick through the album covers and the kids pix, grab a cool looking game you can learn in 2 minutes. They'll pay $10 for a movie as long as it gets on the device with one click. No file sharing, no torrent clients, just pay and play. They pay the bills. Apple gets them the goods.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 02-02-10 at 12:20 PM.
    02-02-10 11:31 AM
    Apple needs a refresh ASAP. I'm surprised people still 'Wow!' at the iPhone.
    It's an Apple product, that's why the "Wow!". Apple knows how to make this happen without even really changing that much.

Also, BB needs an update ASAP. Apple, a refresh would be nice and it probably necessary, but I guarantee if they add a few new features to the same OS and not really change the UI, it would still sell like crazy. The difference is with RIM, people are now realizing they are selling the same thing in different packages, and those packages are just getting a little style refresh.

5.0 added threaded SMS an a few other things (things that I can't find, but are supposedly there), but for an OS dedicated for communication, it should have been here with 2.xx.
    02-02-10 12:00 PM
    TL;DR

10chars
    02-02-10 03:47 PM
    I completely agree with you. I've had every iPhone at every release and got bored after a few weeks when the 3GS came out, so switched back to Verizon and a Blackberry. Recently I had an itch for an iPhone and luckily my boss had a mint 16gb 3G she gave me so I just got prepaid data for it (Yes you can do this). Today I noticed that it's just laying there on my desk. I completely forgot about it and came to the conclusion it just doesnt interest me. It's a beautiful phone but there are just so many things wrong with it and it doesn't compare to my berry (at least my personal needs). Apple needs a refresh ASAP. I'm surprised people still 'Wow!' at the iPhone. There are only a handful of apps that are decent and without apps, who the **** would want an iphone so bad?

Im afraid especially with the release of the iPad that apple is only looking out for the typical 'consumer'. Us advanced users get stuck using crippled devices when we know their true potential.
    Thats simple, it's called Safari. The browsers on the blackberrys are horrible. The blackberry browser still has a long way to go to catch up to Safari. I'm a big web surfer and the iPhone has the best browser.
    Last edited by SoxfaninFL; 02-02-10 at 08:52 PM.
    02-02-10 08:49 PM
    Thats simple, it's called Safari. The browsers on the blackberrys are horrible. The blackberry browser still has a long way to go to catch up to Safari. I'm a big web surfer and the iPhone has the best browser.
    While I agree, I'm going from a personal stand point. I'm in New Jersey (Ocean County - which at&t claims to have fully 3G covered) but I seem to see myself dropping service or waiting for pages to load extremely slow. Even when I'm in popular/busy areas where I have full coverage, I still have slow service and its mainly because everyone is hammering AT&T. All I see is iPhones when I walk through the mall! My tour on the other hand doesn't give me issues and loads pretty good

I'm just going by a personal stand point. In my area, it works ok when it wants to. I guess its more of a carrier issue for me.
    02-02-10 09:55 PM
    While I agree, I'm going from a personal stand point. I'm in New Jersey (Ocean County - which at&t claims to have fully 3G covered) but I seem to see myself dropping service or waiting for pages to load extremely slow. Even when I'm in popular/busy areas where I have full coverage, I still have slow service and its mainly because everyone is hammering AT&T. All I see is iPhones when I walk through the mall! My tour on the other hand doesn't give me issues and loads pretty good

I'm just going by a personal stand point. In my area, it works ok when it wants to. I guess its more of a carrier issue for me.
    You are not alone. ATT is the dropcall king of carriers pretty much anywhere you go. I had a buddy who went to an NFL game and in the tailgate area he was fine, at the game he could not get anything. Go figure.
    02-03-10 11:18 AM
    It's a carrier issue for me as well.. go figure.
    02-03-10 01:56 PM
    At least someone has a fast 3g connection.

02-03-10 03:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD