About to pull the trigger on jailbreaking my 4S, but I've got a few questions about UNJAILBREAKING...

I know Cydia apps have to all be reinstalled, but what about App store apps that were downloaded when Jailbroken?

What about photos, texts, emails, etc?

Also, my 4S is at 5.0.1. If I jailbreak and then 5.1 comes out, can I still Unjailbreak and go back to 5.0.1? Is this done by restoring in iTunes?

I'm sure someone has answered this before, but I haven't read anything specific.

Thanks in advance!
    01-24-12 06:29 PM
    Nothing goes away when you jailbreak. It all stays there. If you dont want to upgrade to a newer software, you can stay on 5.0.1 .
    01-24-12 08:48 PM
    Just found out that xCon app might not fix my Good For Enterprise App.

I'm going to get in touch with my IT Department tomorrow to see if they allow it to work.
    01-24-12 10:36 PM
    Can someone detail what is the upside of jailbreaking? I'd like to know what additional functionality I would gain and if there are any must-have apps that become available.

I'm pretty happy with my stock iPhone but I am curious about jailbreaking.
    01-27-12 11:57 AM
    Can someone detail what is the upside of jailbreaking? I'd like to know what additional functionality I would gain and if there are any must-have apps that become available.
    The single reason I jailbroke my iPhone was for a program called LockInfo. It allows me to see all of my e-mails (and texts, favorites, weather, tweets, and a bunch of other things if I want to) on the lockscreen, without the need to unlock it. It's sort of like Notifications, but a thousand times better. I'm seriously contemplating staying with iOS as long as LockInfo's development continues.

There's also apps that allow you to use the Messages app from anywhere on the phone (rather than being forced into the Messages app you want to reply) called BiteSMS (or Messages+), have unlimited apps in folders, have unlimited apps in the bottom row of apps (and you slide to view more), and many, many more. Like the app store, some are free and some are paid apps.

The process is ridiculously easy to do. It's also easy to remove, though you have to wipe your phone and start from scratch (or restore from a backup).

It does, however, "void" your warranty, so if you ever have to take your phone in for work, you'd have to wipe it, get the work done, then re-jailbreak when you get home.
    02-03-12 01:10 AM
    It does, however, "void" your warranty... so if you ever have to take your phone in for work, you'd have to wipe it, get the work done, then re-jailbreak when you get home.
    No it does not void your warranty... but having said that, folks do recommend removng the JB if you take your phone in for service.
    02-03-12 05:14 PM
    I don't pay for apps, I only download free ones. I don't jailbreak either.
    02-06-12 10:39 AM
    Yes, thank you.
    02-06-12 01:55 PM
    Jail breaking is perfectly legal and if he wants to install installous and get apps for free from now than he's smart, or he can be like you and pay for apps he can get for free
    Yes, jailbreaking is legal. Installous however is not. Installous is an app that promotes pirating (stealing). Stealing is illegal.

I will admit, I do share music, but I do not pirate apps (or any other programs).
    02-07-12 10:49 AM
    I read an article about apple being able to tell if phone has been jailbroken or not even if you restore before you send it over
    02-08-12 04:15 PM
    For me I had to jailbreak and unlock since I am on T-mobile. The great thing I found by jailbreaking is that I get more customization and tweaks. I think a lot of people look at jb-ing as a way of getting something for nothing. I pay for all my apps and like I said I had no choice. Some friends of mine on AT and T saw my customizations and the they all wanted to jb.
    02-14-12 12:41 AM
    Ones you J/B your device you'll never go back to stock
    02-15-12 10:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD