My brother says that in order to get to his gmail, he has to log on to his gmail account, just like you would manually check your email on your PC (assuming you don't have your email client open or running)

I know nothing about iphones, but is this true? Is there's no seamless email like on the Droid or Blackberries, where you get email notifications and then, presto, open your email?
    02-23-10 08:21 PM
    Nope, both of my Gmail accounts work just fine with the Mail app.
    02-23-10 08:35 PM
    Can someone give me a simple walk through to give my brother to set up his email addresses?
    02-23-10 08:47 PM
    Click "Settings" and then "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" then "Add Account" - click the "GMail" icon/link/graphic and put in username and password. I've got 2 Gmail accounts on my iPhone. Hope this helps.
    02-23-10 09:16 PM
    Thanks. Normally I can search and work through things (like setting up yahoo email on the droid), bur since I don't have an iphone in my hand it's a little different trying to walk through something I can't see
    02-23-10 09:29 PM
    I just went into Settings, Mail settings,selected Gmail, and typed in my info. Wasn't too difficult. Especially since Gmail is pretty big and right there in the middle.
    02-23-10 09:44 PM
    Follow Cleaverton's steps, but I say use the Exchange option instead. Alternatively, for a better service, signup for Nuevasync
    02-24-10 02:31 AM
    Be sure you have IMAP enabled from the PC Google Gmail settings side if you do not choose to use the Exchange option above.
    02-24-10 07:53 AM
    ^^^now if you want to get your gmail emails pushed just like a bberry, google "google sync for iphone" and follow the steps. You'll end up setting your gmail account as an exchange server account.
    02-24-10 08:01 AM
    Agree.. using the exchange server account for your gmail is the best option imo.
    02-24-10 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD