Hey guys,

Its occurred to me at both the nicety and as its dawning on me, neccecity of having a push email account, I set up my iPhone to use GMail Push, but its....lacking and not nearly as reliable as one would hope. One of my main windows that opens when I open firefox is my gmail account and often ill see that I do have new mail, that the iPhone never got.

So firstly, anyone else have this problem? Any other service that someone would recommend that is more reliable hopefully free? Any fixes that people have found?

I would be willing to put down some money, I was looking at MobileMe, but really I just need push email, I dont need the rest so paying $100 for push email just didnt seem worth it (im a college student not a business man) so while a lot of my email is non urgent, from time to time I get stuff that needs to be handled ASAP.

I'm almost thinking of jumping ship (that BBM is mighty attractive to a guy who has friends all over the world), but I hesitate to do that, I do love my iPhone, but mail is just spotty.

Thanks guys,

-iNoodles
    03-09-10 01:19 AM
    What are your settings you used to set up gmail Exchange?

Try following How to set up Gmail push on your iPhone

Also realize the gmail experience on BB is poor at best.

-Things you read on your phone wont be marked as read in your gmail.

-There are no mail folders, just one cluster inbox of every email ( I know in college/law school separating email by classes/organizations/friends/family/etc was key to keeping organized. I dont know how people have an inbox of 200 emails and go hunting and searching for the right one. When its in a folder you know what its relating to at least).

-Attachments are limited to 2mb

-Emails sometimes can get truncated

-HTML email is poorly rendered

-BIGGEST: BIS only pulls your Gmail every 15 min, it isnt true push like BES/corporate BB or the iphone using exchange protocol.

Also, if you use calendar sync there is none natively.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-09-10 at 01:37 AM.
    03-09-10 01:33 AM
    Followed it to the letter, usually GSync runs great, for a day or so then becomes iffy. Its just so random. Some days will go great, other days awful, and overall im just not loving it.

it sounds like your iPhone gmail push is working perfectly?

Ill go ahead and say I JB'ed my phone so im thinking that maybe something I tinkered with is screwing this up, but on the other hand I didnt tinker with anything email related it was all themes sounds etc.
    03-09-10 01:39 AM
    Also I'm still running 3.0.1, could that have anything to do with it? Im hesitant to upgrade because I do not want to lose my JB.
    03-09-10 01:41 AM
    Well I have access to a MS Exchange server so my gmail is every hour. Someone else would have to chime in about Gmail sync/exchange, but I havent had any problems not getting my gmail.

I do know the push Gmail uses different servers so it could be a hiccup with them. If you can handle checking for mail every 30 min or hour the imap setup might be more reliable for you. I cant imagine in a school environment needing up to the minute email, 30 min or an hour should be plenty frequent.

EDIT* You could try deleting the whole gmail setup in the email settings and reentering it. I read Google was having some push server issues last week and there was downtime fixing some issues on the 4th. Suggestion was to redo the email settings and resync with the Gmail exchange server.

But the IMAP setup has been rock solid as long as I could remember
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-09-10 at 01:49 AM.
    03-09-10 01:43 AM
    IMAP is fetch no?

Even then I rather reliability over anything else.
    03-09-10 01:51 AM
    yeh its fetch, you set it for how often you want it to fetch.

you can do 5,10,30,60 min but of course the more often the more the battery takes a hit. 30 or 60 shouldnt be a huge difference over the push setup. Id suggest setting it for every hour and see if you can live with that. Id guess most people outside a corporate environment/for work need email checked more than once an hour.

Like I said the IMAP setup (normal setup with the gmail icon in the email setup) has been rock solid. Cant remember not getting email or any issues.
    03-09-10 01:56 AM
    Also I'm still running 3.0.1, could that have anything to do with it? Im hesitant to upgrade because I do not want to lose my JB.
    I know your Avatar says you are on AT&T but if by some chance you are on another carrier then pushfixinfo will fix all of your push notification problems. I am on a Simple Mobile plan so I had to use it to get my e-mails pushed to me along with facebook etc. but it is instant, it is like $5 but it pushes everything faster than my BB does. If you are on AT&T though I wouldnt use it. There is an app in itunes for gmail that works very well. Its called Push for Gmail but sadly it cost a few bucks but will push your email instantly.

Repeat if you are on AT&T do not use pushfixinfo! I dont know what it will do if you are on your official carrier so dont try it and mess anything up.

Please do not go looking around forums and trying different settings and apps from cydia. Now is the worst time in the world to brick your iphone and have to restore it. If you get to messing around to much you may end up losing your jailbreak and not be able to get it back.

In short: If your on AT&T buy Push For Gmail from the app store and be done with it.
    03-09-10 02:28 AM
    You can get MobileMe family plan on Amazon for $97.99 then split that into 5 ($19.59 a user) it's what I do. MobileMe is sooooo much more than push reliable email, love it. It works with PC and Outlook (should you use it) and if you have a Mac it's simply game over.
    For 20 bucks a year I'll take remote 20gb hard drive, remote lock, remote wipe, push contacts, push calendars, push email, push remote photo gallery, GPS locator all OTA all PC compatible.
    If you have a MacBook you have a native extra 20gb hard drive with you anywhere you go without going to any web browser.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 03-09-10 at 07:39 AM.
    03-09-10 07:27 AM
    Followed it to the letter, usually GSync runs great, for a day or so then becomes iffy. Its just so random. Some days will go great, other days awful, and overall im just not loving it.

it sounds like your iPhone gmail push is working perfectly?

Ill go ahead and say I JB'ed my phone so im thinking that maybe something I tinkered with is screwing this up, but on the other hand I didnt tinker with anything email related it was all themes sounds etc.
    In some cases, jailbreaking can cause issues with the push feature on the iPhone. There are some things in Cydia where you can change the fetch interval all the way down to 1 minute. I would say install "PushMod" and change your interval to 1 min so even if something is wrong with the push feature because of being jailbroken, it still wouldn't be longer than a minute from when it was sent that you'd get it.
    03-09-10 08:25 AM
    -BIGGEST: BIS only pulls your Gmail every 15 min, it isnt true push like BES/corporate BB or the iphone using exchange protocol.
    Not sure if that varies by country, but in the UK it is instant PUSH, e-mails will arrive every few seconds/minutes if they are sent every few seconds/minutes.
    03-09-10 02:21 PM
    Hey guys,

Its occurred to me at both the nicety and as its dawning on me, neccecity of having a push email account, I set up my iPhone to use GMail Push, but its....lacking and not nearly as reliable as one would hope. One of my main windows that opens when I open firefox is my gmail account and often ill see that I do have new mail, that the iPhone never got.

So firstly, anyone else have this problem? Any other service that someone would recommend that is more reliable hopefully free? Any fixes that people have found?

I would be willing to put down some money, I was looking at MobileMe, but really I just need push email, I dont need the rest so paying $100 for push email just didnt seem worth it (im a college student not a business man) so while a lot of my email is non urgent, from time to time I get stuff that needs to be handled ASAP.

I'm almost thinking of jumping ship (that BBM is mighty attractive to a guy who has friends all over the world), but I hesitate to do that, I do love my iPhone, but mail is just spotty.

Thanks guys,

-iNoodles
    Try Gmail Push in the App Store. It's a premium app, but only $0.99 and totally worth it. I get the notifications before I get the email on my desktop LOL.
    03-09-10 10:22 PM
    There is a thread about Push For Gmail here http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/push-gmail-app-434800/ myself and everyone who uses it seems to love it. good luck!
    03-10-10 02:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD