Although websites like http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/page/4 are funny for me now, since BlackBerry is using TomTom as well will the same thing happen for BB10?

Basically is the problem TomTom's data or Apple's use of it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-21-12 10:44 AM
    Both. There's already a discussion in the Apple subforum.
    09-21-12 10:47 AM
    The problem is purely one of Apples implementation.

Here for additional discussion: http://forums.crackberry.com/apple-iphone-ipad-f99/ios-map-fiasco-another-reason-why-bb10-needs-spot-745834/
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 09-21-12 at 10:51 AM.
    battery likes this.
    09-21-12 10:48 AM
    09-21-12 10:50 AM
    Looks like we were grabbing the link at the same time
    09-21-12 10:52 AM
    Looks like we were grabbing the link at the same time
    Sorry about that!
    09-21-12 11:03 AM
    If the problem was with the data, you would see the same problems on EVERY device using that data. Since it is only occurring on Apple's Maps, it would indicate it's a problem with their app.
    09-21-12 11:37 AM
    If you read the l-o-n-g list of providers of data for the Maps app (use the bottom right flip corner and touch 'others' next to Tom-Tom), you'll see that Tom-Tom may be taking a lot more heat for this fiasco than is entirely warranted. Problem is, when you use that many individual cartographers' info, the end result will almost certainly be what Apple provided. Google devotes thousands of people to their cartography - Apple, not so much.
    Given the result, one suspects it was probably a couple of unlucky interns stuffed into a broom closet at Cupertino, tasked with jamming all this disparate data into one app.

Then again, it shouldn't come as a surprise - while Apple succeeds as a hardware provider with their iPhones, their apps (built-in and add-on) routinely suffer from being half-baked. Thankfully, their a** is usually covered by 3rd Party apps - and with luck, Google will be allowed to offer its app in the Store.

Until then, I've tossed Apple Maps into my 'Junk Drawer' folder (along with Weather, Stocks, Game Center, Camera and Passbook)
    and have linked a Home Page shortcut to Google Maps online.
    09-22-12 11:34 AM
    The problem is purely one of Apples implementation.

Here for additional discussion: http://forums.crackberry.com/apple-iphone-ipad-f99/ios-map-fiasco-another-reason-why-bb10-needs-spot-745834/
    Do you have any actual evidence of this statement? I'm interested to see. I saw TomToms statement on the matter but you'll notice they didn't state that their data was accurate only that it is "the manufactures responsibility to make the app work properly". Fact is the app does work properly, the problem is the data. The main reason I stopped using my TomTom years ago.

Apple also get data from Waze, this is the Waze CEO statement on Apple's partnership with TomTom

"But Bardin says that Apple has taken a huge bet by partnering with TomTom, a maker of traditional GPS hardware that’s morphing into a mapping-data provider…”Apple went out and partnered with the weakest player,” Bardin says. “They’re now coming out with the lowest, weakest data set and they’re competing against Google, which has the highest data set.”

I highly doubt the data will ever get better based on TomToms inability to address their issues in the last decade.
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-24-12 at 08:12 AM.
    09-24-12 08:03 AM
    Lol, you knew about this ten years ago? You should have warned your boys at Apple.

It is odd in all of these map stories, that you're the only one to have figured out it is the data, even though I can’t find any pics of bridges melted on a TomTom unit. The quote you posted is obviously from an "unbiased party" with no dog in the mapping fight.
    09-24-12 09:51 AM
    Lol, you knew about this ten years ago? You should have warned your boys at Apple.

It is odd in all of these map stories, that you're the only one to have figured out it is the data, even though I can’t find any pics of bridges melted on a TomTom unit. The quote you posted is obviously from an "unbiased party" with no dog in the mapping fight.
    Does it matter to you where the problem lies as long as Apple looks bad? The maps need work plain and simple. It appears to be the data itself that is the problem. Apparently that data comes from TomTom, either way it'll either be fixed or it wont.

As for my experience, I know of 3 roads that I use regularly that have existed for 10 years or so that failed to appear on my TomTom even with their map update guarantee. Waze and Navigon both have those roads. TomTom got slack as they got bigger and Apple will pay the price for their reliance on TomTom.
    09-24-12 09:57 AM
    It DOES matter where the fault lies to me. Does it to you, or just if it makes Apple look bad? You seem awfully defensive over the company that made your smartphone. Between this and the Foxconn working conditions, its almost become a joke.

Please show examples of the SAME problems in Maps showing up in any other product that uses the same data. I guess the millions of TomTom users have must never complained that the Golden Gate Bridge was in the wrong place. Not until it was on iOS did people care... Yeah....
    09-24-12 10:08 AM
    It DOES matter where the fault lies to me. Does it to you, or just if it makes Apple look bad? You seem awfully defensive over the company that made your smartphone. Between this and the Foxconn working conditions, its almost become a joke.

Please show examples of the SAME problems in Maps showing up in any other product that uses the same data. I guess the millions of TomTom users have must never complained that the Golden Gate Bridge was in the wrong place. Not until it was on iOS did people care... Yeah....
    I'm not defensive in the least. I've said numerous times the app is a disaster. It seems though that people like you don't care if its the data from tomtom or not. Tomtom themselves have not denied that its their data but all fingers are pointed at Apple, therefore no user pressure is on TomTom to fix it. You are free to point fingers at whomever you choose if it makes you feel better. Don't ignore this quote from TomTom though.

we provide Apple with map data and they transform it into an app,

Once again, it strikes me the data is the issue whether you like it or not and by TomToms admission they provide that data. Who is responsible to fix it? I have no idea, one or the other I imagine, maybe both, maybe neither and it will stay the same.

I personally don't care either way as long as it gets fixed. If it doesn't i'll use google maps instead. That still exists as far as I'm aware.

I honestly think its funny. Funny that the app is this bad and funny that other platforms/users are so desperate for a win that they jump all over it knowing full well it won't make any difference in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-24-12 at 10:45 AM.
    09-24-12 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD