Congressmen query Apple on privacy policy changes | Circuit Breaker - CNET News

+++++++++++++++
    Apple's privacy policy update for iOS device users has attracted the attention of Washington.

On Thursday, coinciding with Apple's high-profile first day sale of the iPhone 4, Reps. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.) and Joe Barton (R-Texas) announced that they have sent a letter to Apple CEO Steve Jobs expressing their concerns and asking for answers regarding reports that Apple is gathering location information on its customers.

"Given the limited ability of Apple users to opt out of the revised policy and still be able to take advantage of the features of their Apple products, we are concerned about the impact the collection of such data could have on the privacy of Apple's customers," the letter reads.

Markey and Barton are co-chairmen of the House Bi-Partisan Privacy Caucus.

Apple updated its privacy policy on Monday to underscore that when you use location-based services on your iOS device, Apple will be sharing your location with that service. Users can turn off all location-based services on the settings menu of any iOS device.

(... see link for continuation)
    +++++++++++++++++++

No doubt the politicians view this as a useful diversion from something they would prefer not to discuss, but it is still an area of potential concern to some users. The good news is that it's not Google doing the tracking and storing data for ever.
    06-26-10 07:41 AM
    Good. I'd like a clearer view of what Apple does with this info.
    06-26-10 10:42 AM
    I just do not see how this is that big if a deal. The truth is that any smartphone with a GPS is going to be sending location data to someone, Apple has just come out and said that they are going to be sharing that info with third parties. Again I just do not see what the issue is, it is very easy to turn off location services on the iPhone and any app that uses them asks the users permission before hand.
    06-26-10 11:57 AM
    Duh! Anything with GPS capability is going to be able to be tracked by someone somewhere, isn't that the point. As far as the iPhone goes, it is very easy to turn off.
    06-26-10 12:17 PM
    I wonder if paid navigation services collect and sell location data, or is it just the free ones that do it?
    06-26-10 12:31 PM
    Sure they do. You gotta monitor your sheep, right?

The questions is, who is watching the watchers?
    06-26-10 12:34 PM
    I think every device with a GPS is always collecting data even when you have the GPS option turned off. They may not, but I have this feeling they do.

Google follows me, so Apple can't be any worse.
    06-26-10 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD