I have been thinking for some time now about making the change from a BB to an iPhone. After reading about all of the things that OS 3.0 is going to fix, it seems like that may make my transition a little bit easier. It would make me feel a little better about my decesion if I could get some feedback from people who have made the switch from a BB to an iPhone, primarily frome the Bold to an iPhone.

At this time, I'm looking for more of a great multimedia phone, which from what I have seen, the iPhone Is. I am a Mac user, so that alone would make my life easier, just from the syncing aspect. So in all, I think the only thing that scares me is going to an ALL touch screen phone without a designated keyboard. Is the transition pretty easy with that? Any info would be great. Thank you all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by GAM3INO; 06-01-09 at 11:16 AM.
    06-01-09 11:09 AM
    I've recently made the switch, and I have not a single regret about doing so.

I have been using the Storm rather than the bold but before the Storm I was on 8800 which is a hardware keys phone like the Bold.

I have no problem typing on the iPhone and it seems we'll get more landscape keyboard support in 3.0.

Once you've tried the iPhone's slick interface, if you're anything like me you'll be wondering why you didn't go for it months ago.
    06-01-09 11:25 AM
    I went from a Curve 8320 to a 8900 to an iPhone and I do not miss the keyboard at all. I actually think I type faster and more efficient on the iPhone
    06-01-09 11:36 AM
    if you're all about email then I say stick with BB
    06-01-09 11:36 AM
    iPhone does email very well, some professionals even prefer it.
    06-01-09 12:22 PM
    Email isn't the most important thing to me at all. I haven't seen the iPhone email setup, but I'm sure I would be just fine with it.

Thanks for all the input so far!! If you guys are doing good wothout the keyboard, then I'm sure its something I can catch on to pretty easy.

06-01-09 01:19 PM
    The only thing you'll miss is having a PIN!
    06-01-09 01:31 PM
    iPhone does email very well, some professionals even prefer it.

I havent seen the iphone mail client (well in person, Ive seen videos) but I really dont see the big hoopla over the BB email client. I think its honestly poor at best for anyone not working for a corporation with BES access, which is probably a good chunk of their customers. Last stats I saw almost 50% of their customers were consumers.

BIS is exceptionally poor giving no folders in exchange or Gmail IMAP, no contact or calendar sync, etc. I think they layout still looks a little basic and I dont think HTML through gmail works very well at all.

Im excited to have a real FULL email client again (exchange and IMAP Gmail) like in Windows Mobile without features stripped out. I cant see paying the same $30 for data for stripped down email to have to go on my laptop to organize it into proper folders- defeats the purpose of a smartphone really.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-01-09 at 02:49 PM.
    06-01-09 02:43 PM
    Sadly, iPhone email is no where near as good as a Blackberry on a BES.

It's not even as good as push email on a Windows Mobile device.. it's pretty sad, but it "works".

I imagine it's setup this way to maximize battery life.. that's most likely the whole reason the iPhone does what it does/doesn't do.. to maximize battery life.
    06-01-09 02:52 PM
    Well like I was saying a lot of BB customers dont have BES access making it no better than a send/receive device. BIS is a far competitor to WM or iphone for functionality because RIM blocks out basic email features unless you get hosted BES which makes your data $40-50/month

I cant see how its not as good as WM, Exchange is Exchange and pushes your email, folder, contacts, calendar, etc.
    06-01-09 02:56 PM
    I've used both iPhone and Windows Mobile extensively and can positivly say that they function completely different, the iPhone also doesn't sync tasks whereas Windows Mobile does.

On a Windows Mobile device, the device is sent the UDP ping, if phone responds, email is delivered. Notification is updated as well as email is pre-downloaded.

On an iPhone, the device receives the ping, the only thing that is updated is the red dot above the email.. email is not pre-downloaded.

So you get an email on your iphone, you notice the red dot goes from let's say "3" to "4". Open your email and THEN it connects in to get email.

So to recap, winmo gets email, notification and email is downloaded.

iPhone gets email, notification gets updated, email isn't downloaded until you open the email app.
    06-01-09 03:00 PM
    ahh ok, but still a difference of a few seconds really...

I would think thi sis sometimes a good thing and saves battery. WM phones are notorious for bad battery life from the dozen or so Ive owned over the past 4 years.
    06-01-09 03:23 PM
    Well, here's a scenario that I imagine could PO some people.

You use a windows mobile device at your desk.. you go outside to your car where you get 0 bars, signal drops.. on Windows Mobile you have all those emails up until you lost signal.

On the iPhone, the only thing you have is the red dot showing you have new emails..those emails aren't pre-downloaded so in your car, you dont see them. =(
    06-01-09 03:28 PM
    I say wait until the next iPhone comes out this summer, try it out. If you don't like it, that's why there's the return policy.

Every OS has it's advantages and disadvantages. I personally like all 3 for doing for me what I need it to do.

My iPod Touch allows me the best internet browsing interface and a ton of applications

Windows Mobile on my Kaiser gives me excellent GPS coverage and has some of the easier install processes (.cab), flashing, and unlocking methods.

My Pearl is the best phone-wise and in terms of Push Email, although I do like the iPod's display of said email better.
    06-01-09 04:12 PM
    With the new iPhone supposedly being revealed at WWDC, I think I'd wait until they've shown their hand before making the jump.

I had the Bold when it was released but found the experience with the browser to be less than desirable. The iPhone 3G has a much better display for browsing the web. E-mail is very easy to setup and gives you full HTML as opposed to BB which has you pushing buttons to download the full message.

It sounds like the iPhone is what you want. Typing emails on it takes a short while to become accustomed to the keyboard. Try it out before you buy. You may be pleasantly surprised.
    06-01-09 05:09 PM
    In a way, I do want to wait until the new iPhone is released, BUT, I just switched to AT&T back in February, so I am still under contract, and cant upgrade anyway. So what I was planning to do was, sell my Bold, and just buy a 3G. Or trade on Craigslist for a 3G. But this brings up a couple more questions for you guys.

I would like to have a white 16 gb iPhone. So would you guys says its a fair trade, my Bold for a 16 gb iPhone? Or is it a more fair trade for an 8 gb model.

Also, I have not personally used or even watched anyone use a 3G model. But my brother in law has a 1st gen iPhone, and I have used it quite a bit just to play around. Did anything really change from the 1st gen iPhone to the 3G version? Thank you everyone for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated.
    06-01-09 06:16 PM
    In additon to my last post, I have a guy wanting to trade me straight up, my bold for his 3G 8gb iPhone. He sent pictured, and its in great shape. Cn someone tell me if this a good trade, or if I should hold out for a 16gb model, which is what I would rather have.

06-02-09 10:56 AM
    In additon to my last post, I have a guy wanting to trade me straight up, my bold for his 3G 8gb iPhone. He sent pictured, and its in great shape. Cn someone tell me if this a good trade, or if I should hold out for a 16gb model, which is what I would rather have.

i would wait and get the 16g myself and i believe im going to follow your foot steps real soon too
    06-02-09 12:25 PM
    Just thought I would post an update.

I got myself an iPhone and couldn't be happier. I was LONG time BB user, and now I am kicking myself for not getting an iPhone a long time ago. I love this thing to death. The keyboard is really easy to use, and the entire phone just works so well. Since I am a Mac user, this phone simplifies my life in so many ways, compared to any BB that I have ever owned. And now for the first time ever, I actually dont care about paying for a data package. I just feel stupid that I paid for one for all those years for a BB, and never really got anything out of it. Thank you guys for all your input!
    06-05-09 12:25 PM
    Welcome to the club, glad you're enjoying it!
    06-05-09 01:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD