News 360 - applegate - wifi connection problems.

Now how many have heard about it?

Not to be a conspiracy monger, but i will be watching how much this gets talked about in the media.

Just saying.
    04-05-12 01:43 PM
    Cool. Thanks.
    04-05-12 02:22 PM
    thank you
    04-06-12 02:40 PM
    Anytime a new/improved product comes to market there are bound to be teething problems, and I'm prepared to accept that explanation for the new iPad's Wifi issues.

I do think the new iPad was a move in the wrong direction, though. Heavier, bulkier, with a battery almost doubled in size that only gives the same life as the one it replaces. And has a 9 hour charge time.

The usability of the device has been compromised for the sake of an admittedly-better camera and a prettier screen. That does not represent progress to me.
    04-06-12 02:59 PM
    How about the heating problem and the fact that it is not compatible with any 4G networks outside of North America?

Seems like some pretty big problems to me...
    madman0141 likes this.
    04-06-12 04:13 PM
    04-06-12 06:26 PM
    Thanks, this made me smile

So basically, its thicker, heavier, runs hotter, has wifi issues, no 4g outside north america, takes 10 hours to charge, and does absolutely nothing more than the ipad 2?

Yeah.. Sounds like Apple.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    04-06-12 07:43 PM

So basically, its thicker, heavier, runs hotter, has wifi issues, no 4g outside north america, takes 10 hours to charge, and does absolutely nothing more than the ipad 2?

well apparently the pb is hotter... lmao.

i have never even felt my pb be any sort of warm...
    04-06-12 11:41 PM
    did you even read the article?

First we recreated the Consumer Reports testing scenario (though in our testing, we used an infrared thermometer instead of a thermal camera, as in the original experiment). After 20 minutes of intense Infinity Blade 2 action, we were able to get the iPad up to 100 degrees. After 45 minutes, the iPad hit 108 degrees at its hottest point on the back of the tablet.

We then turned our sights to other tablets — how hot would they get when running graphics-intensive games? Infinity Blade 2 is an iOS exclusive, so we needed to find a different control game, something that runs on all platforms, but also taxes a tablet’s processor and graphics engine. We ended up using Dead Space, a first-person shooter that’s available for most tablets on the market, and includes 3-D graphics.

We started our gauntlet of testing with the new iPad. Like all the tablets we cross-tested, we started with a completely cool device, and kept the iPad unplugged to more closely approximate a real-world use scenario. We played Dead Space for 30 minutes, by which point the iPad’s back-panel heat had already plateaued.

The result? The third-generation iPad reached just 94 degrees Fahrenheit in its hottest rear chassis location (slightly below, and to the right of, the Apple logo when the tablet is held in portrait mode). Ninety-four degrees is not an uncomfortable temperature in one’s hands, and it’s also well short of the alarming 116 degrees publicized by Consumer Reports, as well as our own 108 degree reading. Dead Space may not tax the iPad’s internals as much as Infinity Blade 2, but it’s still a demanding 3-D game in the tablet space, and will certainly evoke hotter run temperatures than a mail program, YouTube or Angry Birds during continuous use.
    recreating an experiment, by doing something totally different... grade A journalism

so... the ipad doesnt get as hot... when you do a totally different test for a totally different time frame...

lol.

thats like saying there is no issue with 4G in australia because the 4G works in the US...
    ifan logic!
    04-06-12 11:47 PM
    here are some responses in that article...

Completely worthless article - if the Ipad 3 hits 116 degrees on Infinity Blade then it hits 116 degrees...period. Who cares that you can play some other game without problems. Generating 116 degrees for long periods of time is both uncomfortable for the user and limiting to the life of the hardware. Watch the hardcore Ipad 3 gamers returning their broken Ipads to the store for replacement in the near future. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple changed the terms of their warranty to omit coverage for heat-related problems like this.
    I was more concerned with the infrared thermometer vs thermal camera. All it takes for a thermal camera to work is some black insulation tape for calibration (emissivity ~.97; anyone who has a thermal camera should have this already otherwise they have been taking misreadings throughout their camera's life).

What kind of infrared thermometer was used? A "laser" thermometer? those are as inaccurate as me playing darts blindfolded. I'm pretty appalled that Wired would write such scientific results without demonstrating any scientific process for replication of the experiment; especially since they were trying to replicate an experiment of a third party... I guess this is what happens when journalists attempt science..
    those two differences can account for a few degrees... i believe
    04-06-12 11:55 PM
    Dr. Jeffery DeWeese works at the Bothin Burn Unit at St. Francis Memorial Hospital in San Francisco. He told us 116 degrees “shouldn’t be of any concern” for the average adult, and the temperature “isn’t going to burn anyone on contact.”
    So, when plugged in, the back of the new iPad became as much as 12 degrees hotter than the iPad 2 did in the same tests; while unplugged the difference was 13 degrees.

During our tests, I held the new iPad in my hands. When it was at its hottest, it felt very warm but not especially uncomfortable if held for a brief period.
    We've concluded in the past that a laptop that heats up to 120 degrees or more could damage bare skin over time. While laptop heating was a problem during the infancy of the product, we discontinued our heat tests several years ago when typical temperatures came down to 110 degrees Fahrenheit or so.
    oh boy, such a "overheating problem"
    04-07-12 03:41 AM

We are comparing to the previous ipad. Doesnt seem like a step forward to me at all. Say what you want..
    04-07-12 09:22 AM
    So best screen PPI in the market, best screen color quality in the market (ahead of the competition by a long shot), most powerful Soc in the market are not a step forward.

LOL

Oh, did I mention 42Mbps DC-HSDPA compared to the old 7.2Mbps 3G in the iPad 2, this is a 6x jump, right =) And bluetooth 4.0

And some minor stuffs upgraded like camera, microphone (which is features PB user always make it like a big deal, right?)

denial much?
    04-07-12 10:04 AM
    The cons far outweigh the pros in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with the dpi on my playbook. The new galaxy nexus has 336dpi and common, you don't really notice, so who cares. I actually don't want the playbook to have a screen like that because I'm not interested in quadruple the battery for a minimal difference in quality. Bluetooth 4.0. Don't make me laugh. It really won't add any real value in your life. I mean, your iphones can still only TETHER to your ipad?

Great so for the 10% of people that actually get data plans with their tablets, they have higher speeds. How many of them live in America? Cause that's the only location where it works, and only with SELECT carriers. Yeah, I'll just bridge to my hspa+ blackberry and save myself an extra data plan.

Really the only 2 upgrades are screen resolution and the camera (finally, a camera that can take photos and videos comparable to the playbook).

List the DOWNGRADES from my previous post and let's compare and see if realistically its really an upgrade. Jobs is dead you can stop believing everything is the best now. He won't come out of nowhere and smack you if you start sleeping around with other companies, not anymore anyways.
    So will you buy the ipad 4 next year? Another $600 of the total economies money given to Apple each and every single year.. And that money mostly stays overseas.
    04-07-12 10:47 AM
    The cons far outweigh the pros in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with the dpi on my playbook. The new galaxy nexus has 336dpi and common, you don't really notice, so who cares.
    I own one. Yes, you do notice the difference unless your eyes are pretty bad. Same with the iPhone screen. I can totally notice the difference, just like many others who see the screen.

The PlayBooks screen is nowhere near as nice as the iPad screen. It is a nice screen, but not as nice. Far off actually.
    04-07-12 11:59 AM
    If you use a new iPad for any amount of time and then pick up the iPad2, there is a big difference in screen quality. You have to have poor eyesight or strong denial to miss that.
    04-07-12 12:17 PM
    Tablet basically is a screen, but still, it is not important.... ok LOL

yes, despite pentile display, the Galaxy Nexus screen is really great, and the new HTC One X is even better, stunning display compared to lower PPI screen smartphone like Galaxy S2 and Lumia 900.

To your surprise, it is one of the most important feature when people shopping for a smartphone. The trend continues on tablet market, the "not yet to released" Asus Transformer also featured a high PPI screen, surprise? Clearly no one cares.

And that is just PPI, 94% display color gamut (compared to 50-60% from other tablet screen), nearly 95% color reproduction is way, way ahead of everyone in the market.

DC-HSDPA 42Mbps is not LTE, I discount LTE because its currently only work with select US and Canada carriers.

So, hardware wise, the most important things in a touch screen mobile computer are the screen, the SoC to powered your computer and the battery life, right? Then some added wireless connect like LTE, DC-HSDPA, 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth, NFC.... Last things to consider when you buy a tablet device are camera and microphone.

Compared to the only "compareable" tablet, the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity (even it is not release yet lol), if you like a better screen, better baterry life, cheaper price then it is the new iPad. If you like thinner, lighter device, and faster charge time, then it is the Asus.
    (the rest like wireless connect, SoC, RAM, device storage,... basically the same or compareable)

Maybe the new Asus is a tablet just for you, because clearly the thicker (9.7 mm compared to the new iPad 9.4mm) Playbook is a seriously DOWNGRADE in your opinion, right? =)

Side note, the new iPad charge time is 6h, not 10h
    New iPad Slow to Recharge, Barely Charges During Use | PCWorld
    oh, maybe you will like the Toshiba Thrive better, it just take 2.5h to full charged.
    After all, I don't think you will like the new Asus, because it is thicker than the previous Transformer (due to screen panel I guess)
    04-07-12 12:21 PM
    several tech sites seem to disagree with you on charging time and screen display. I can post up references later.

Anyways its your money, buy what you want, but so far your arguments don't subject any upgrade other than screen resolution, which is what degrades the tablet in other areas

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    04-07-12 01:18 PM
    The screen is better than any other tab out on the market. There is no denying that.

Still funny how you can't notice a 130+ ppi difference between the Galaxy Nexus and PlayBook (PB 170dpi, Galaxy Nexus 316ppi). Do you wear glasses? If so, how thick are they?
    Last edited by avt123; 04-07-12 at 02:21 PM.
    04-07-12 01:46 PM
    I already said, screen (high PPI, better color quality) , SoC (PowerVR SGX543MP4, 128bit quad channel memory controller, the Terga 3 has only 32bit single channel), wireless connection (LTE, DC-HSDPA 42Mbps, bluetooth 4). Only thing remain is battery life.

So, tell me what "step forward" other nextgen competitor tablets offer?
    Asus Transformer T700, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, Playbook 3G?
    04-07-12 02:19 PM
    So all is not as perfect as the Ipeople would have use believe? This shows that the iPad is made by humans!
    04-07-12 02:24 PM
    several tech sites seem to disagree with you on charging time and screen display. I can post up references later.

Anyways its your money, buy what you want, but so far your arguments don't subject any upgrade other than screen resolution, which is what degrades the tablet in other areas

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Well, you're right that the extra 1mm and 0.1 lbs was really wearing down my bag and nearly broke the strap. But then I removed a pen from the bag and everything is back to normal now. Phew.
    pilsbury likes this.
    04-07-12 03:31 PM
    It's okay, downplay all the cons and steps backwards, whatever helps to justifiy the money spent on your purchases.
    04-07-12 10:20 PM
    Well, you're right that the extra 1mm and 0.1 lbs was really wearing down my bag and nearly broke the strap. But then I removed a pen from the bag and everything is back to normal now. Phew.
    But now you can't write... The increased size of the iPad has now caused you to lose a function that is unrelated to the iPad itself...this is a very serious flaw

Not!
    04-08-12 01:43 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD