the iphone is a pretty rad device but is there a way to get one lower than $90 per month for unlimited text and data?

charging $40 for only 450 mins with 5000 weekends, not unlimited, is already pushing it.

but charging another $50 on top of that to use the web and texting is even more ridiculous! does anyone know the available discounts for AT&T?
    11-30-09 04:57 PM
    Pushing it? No, not really.

Go out of country where they don't even offer unlimited plans for the iPhone-

Then you'll know what pushing it really is.

Anyway, back to your question, AT&T offers student, and employee discounts if you're eligible.

The norm is 15% off.
    11-30-09 05:01 PM
    well $89.99 isnt really TOO BAD but they should really try to compete with sprint and t-mobile a little better and then AT&T could become even more massive than they already are !
    11-30-09 05:20 PM
    The only reason Sprint and tmobile have such low plans is cause that's the only way they will survive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-09 06:20 PM
    I pay exactly the $90 you're referring to and I'm happy with it because I don't
    do much talking on the phone. Plus the minutes are rollovers that expire after a
    whole year.

However if you're on a budget and talk on the phone a lot, then AT&T isn't the
    carrier for you, let alone the iPhone.
    12-01-09 06:42 PM
    I have to say, I tend to do anything to NOT talk on the phone. I'd email or text someone much quicker than call them...

So, I'd rather a lower tarriff for calls, and gladly pay X for unlimited data
    12-01-09 06:59 PM
    5000 night & weekend minutes is a little over 83 hours. I've only seen two people (while working for AT&T) go over that... one was a close friend of mine who was stationed on the other side of the U.S. and would get off work at night, but he unlimited on the 900 plan. The other was a guy who's job entailed being on the phone all day long. So that should not be an issue.

No lower plan unless u want to use IM instead of SMS to send and received your text. You can then eliminate the messaging plan.
    12-01-09 08:10 PM
    i dont know what im complaining about lmao. ill just deal with it and get the iphone, in the end ill be happier (:
    12-01-09 08:38 PM
    you have a bold... just noticed that. it's the same costs as the iPhone for data/msging and phone.
    12-01-09 08:57 PM
    i actually have a bold 9700 on t-mobile right now lol. my current plan is like 70 so im not really too worried about the change.
    12-01-09 09:35 PM
    Okay cool... read your profile and it said T-mobile, threw me off. =D
    12-02-09 01:27 AM
    I had att and when I called them to cancel my account with them saying cost was the reason for canceling and I was getting on my moms Verizon family plan they told me they do offer a 300 something minute plan to try to keep me if that helps you idk there's a required minute plan for iphones

12-02-09 01:47 AM
    If your heart is set on iphone, then get the 450 min plan with the internet and texts. It will be about 90 bucks. If you can live without the text messaging, get rid of that and it will drop your bill down lower. I have seen apps that you can send mms to other phones and it was 99 cents, and on yahoo messenger you can send text messages.
    12-02-09 02:33 AM
    ^^^^ if you did those work arounds for MMS and SMS you would have to be on the internet almost all the time and that would kill your battery in a mater of hours.
    12-02-09 02:05 PM
    ^^^^ if you did those work arounds for MMS and SMS you would have to be on the internet almost all the time and that would kill your battery in a mater of hours.
    Nope... on the BlackBerry, those apps run in the background. With the iPhone, it's pushed when you receive the message (while the app does not run in the background). This is why I can have BeeJiveIM on all day on my iPhone, but not my Bold.
    12-02-09 02:13 PM
    well $89.99 isnt really TOO BAD but they should really try to compete with sprint and t-mobile a little better and then AT&T could become even more massive than they already are !
    AT&T doesn't need to compete with Sprint or Tmo.

Sprint or Tmo need to compete with AT&T and VZW.

AT&T's sole competition is VZW.
    12-02-09 03:05 PM
    well my grandma used to work for the police department so she's gonna go down there and get a paper stating she worked there so we can get a 15% discount on our bill.

but i got the white 16 gig 3G S and i loooooove it so far<3
    12-02-09 07:34 PM
    That 15% makes a difference at the end of the month trust me!

The only thing that annoyed me was that I had to pay 30 bucks to be eligible
    12-03-09 12:50 PM
    AT&T doesn't need to compete with Sprint or Tmo.

Sprint or Tmo need to compete with AT&T and VZW.

AT&T's sole competition is VZW.
    I just recently left ATT for Tmo and I'm pretty sure a lot of iphone customers would do the same once the exclusive deal is up. There has been some talk about Tmo getting the iphone since it would be barely any work on Apples end to set them up with it. ATT doesn't have the service to compete with Verizon and they don't have the prices to compete with Tmo or Sprint.
    12-03-09 01:14 PM
    AT&T was the second best choice for Apple.

Tmobile's 3G network isnt good enough yet- Apple doesn't care for low frill either.

All that "Tmobile is getting the iPhone" stuff is heresay.

Don't put your money on it.

Why would Apple go for a smaller network, when an Already BIGGER network could barely handle the data flow?

Sounds like a set up for disaster.
    12-03-09 01:24 PM
    The only reason Sprint and tmobile have such low plans is cause that's the only way they will survive.

The only reason AT&T is still alive is because they have the iPhone.

I rather enjoy having a provider that's struggling and giving me a great rate.
    12-03-09 01:27 PM
    The only reason AT&T is still alive is because they have the iPhone.
    They were doing just fine pre-June 2007

They were smart enough in January of that year when the iPhone was
    introduced to sign a contract of exclusivity.

They're still alive for making good business decisions.
    Last edited by forever29; 12-03-09 at 01:46 PM.
    12-03-09 01:43 PM
    They were doing just fine pre-June 2007

They were smart enough in January of that year when the iPhone was
    introduced to sign a contract of exclusivity.

They're still alive for making good business decisions.
    Exactly, they were still a top 2 carrier by a LONG shot before the iphone. Actually I believe they were AHEAD of VZW too at that point, before the Alltel buyout.

Sounds like a user from the company loosing a million subs a quarter spreading more "how crappy ATT would be without the iphone" fud. I love how people on other carriers, especially Tmo and Sprint, like to bash ATT how theyd be nothing without the iphone when ATT was still double their carrier's size before the iphone and ahead of VZW. They made good business decisions and sold phones, same as now, just more of one phone now. The only reason VZW caught up overnight was they bought Alltel- they didnt gain those millions to catch up themselves!

The smaller carriers may give you a better deal but then consider how many minutes M2M saves you on those 2 huge networks and the cost of upping your plan on a smaller carrier to the next tier. sometimes its the same total cost in the end as the $90 ATT or VZW charge you.

Personally keeping Sprint wouldve cost the same $90 (or withing $5-10, I dont rememebr exact numbers) since everyone i do talk on the phone to uses ATT. The 450 min wasnt cutting it with the tiny M2M user base.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 12-03-09 at 01:57 PM.
    12-03-09 01:49 PM
    Nah I liked AT&T when I had it. No FUD here. Just my honest opinion. I think they got in over their heads with the iPhone. Either that, or they got greedy and milked the contracts instead of reinvesting.

Based on a lot of surveys, seems to me like there are MANY users who are sticking out AT&T out of love for the iPhone rather than the network.

I'm with Sprint for the pricing. I won't lie. Good enough is good enough, after all. I was on AT&T prepaid but wanted a BlackBerry. Naturally, I checked out AT&T first. They were kinda pricey I thought, so I shopped around. Verizon was about the same, so then I decided to look at T-Mobile. Cheaper of course but their coverage is random where I am (an hour north at a friend's house I wouldnt even have a roaming signal, let alone T-Mobile home). That dropped T-Mobile out of the running and I immediately thought about Sprint. Wasn't sure how they fared these days but the pricing looked great and Home signal for where I spend most of my time is solid so Sprint it was. I travel all over the place but I can always fall back on roaming if needed. I don't use the device much when I'm working and when I'm traveling, it's for work...so I don't anticipate hitting their roaming limit.

I even had AT&T and T-Mobile SIM cards either in my hand or on the way before I realized they weren't right for me. The AT&T SIM is still right here in my desk drawer.
    Last edited by dchawk81; 12-03-09 at 02:00 PM.
    12-03-09 01:56 PM
    Surveys schmurveys.

People dont know what the heck they want and like to whine. Go to the 9700 forum youll see all types of whining about the phone- omg theres a light leak around the LCD, or omg theres dirt in the .5mm gap in the phone. People like to whine period, about anything they can.

Surveys mean nothing, when the next iphone comes out people will be lined up again resigning a 2 year contract to get the upgrade pricing this coming summer, whether they hate ATT or not and theyll sell another 3 million of them the first quarter its out.

Some of the very same iphone/ATT whiners just got a 9700 BB. People arent going anywhere, most are on ATT for a reason, be it SIM cards, Mobile to mobile, voice+data together, whatever it may be. Its really the minority of people who came solely to ATT judt to get the iphone, theyve sold many more to current customers than new customers.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 12-03-09 at 02:15 PM.
    12-03-09 02:02 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD