It's been a week since I got my iPhone and I just ran into a major problem today.

Last night I was on the phone and when I got off I saw that the battery was at 18% so I plugged it in the charger and left it over night. This morning I took my iPhone out of the charger and saw that it wouldn't turn on. At first I thought I hadn't properly charged the phone so I plugged in in my computer.

It's been over two hours now and while I see the battery icon on the screen it hasn't changed a bit. And I can't turn the phone on even while still plugged into the charger.

I would take the phone to the Apple store but I did jailbreak it and I can't even turn the phone on to reset the phone.

What do you guys recommend me doing? Should I take the phone to the store and just see what happens?
    08-26-09 12:40 PM
    Well since it won't come on, I don't see how they would be able to tell if it's jailbroken. Worst case scenario, they get the phone to come on and discover it's jailbroken. So now the phone is back on you can now restore and then come back if you are still having issues. If the phone doesn't come on at all for them, then they'll give you another one.
    08-26-09 01:00 PM
    Have you tried plugging it into the wall charger again?
    08-26-09 01:50 PM
    Wow, well I just got back from the Apple store and explain my problem to them. They said that there was something in fact wrong with the phone. And that they would have to replace the phone for me. But....They said I'd have to wait until Saturday to come back and have it checked again by a service tech before they could replace my phone. Also, something else that pissed me off is that they gave me an appointment for tomorrow morning and then they said that Saturday was the earliest I could come in.

Unfortunately, I can't even get a refund since I used the phone for more than 30 minutes.

Sorry for the rant but I gotta say I'm not impressed by Apple's service. I do appreciate the advice though, thanks guys!

mdude85, I tried plugging it into the wall charger but still nothing. I kinda knew something was up when I woke up and the phone had no battery even though I had it plugged in overnight.
    08-26-09 02:30 PM
    Sucks that you had a bad experience with Apple's in store people. I had to go in after 6 days of owning my phone and it was replaced on the spot. I was in and out within 15 minutes.

Hope you get it all sorted out.
    08-26-09 02:35 PM
    Perhaps you can try taking it to a different Apple store?
    08-26-09 03:09 PM
    Sucks that you had a bad experience with Apple's in store people. I had to go in after 6 days of owning my phone and it was replaced on the spot. I was in and out within 15 minutes.

Hope you get it all sorted out.
    Ditto... Except I owned it second hand off of CL (my old 3G which was still under warranty) and they still replaced it within 5 minutes of looking at it. Maybe it's a location thing?
    08-26-09 06:31 PM
    Ditto... Except I owned it second hand off of CL (my old 3G which was still under warranty) and they still replaced it within 5 minutes of looking at it. Maybe it's a location thing?
    Yea I have never had a bad experience at an Apple store. They have the best CS I have ever experienced.
    08-26-09 06:42 PM
    You can't return the phone because you used it for more then 30 minutes? Lol. Tell them to prove it! WTF is that.

First off, try to put the device in DFU mode (I know you said it won't turn on), but try.
    08-26-09 06:59 PM
    plug it into your computer and see if you can do a restore
    08-26-09 07:21 PM
    You can't return the phone because you used it for more then 30 minutes? Lol. Tell them to prove it! WTF is that.

First off, try to put the device in DFU mode (I know you said it won't turn on), but try.
    Come to think of it try like none other to do this while the phone is plugged into the computer... Maybe not to put it into DFU mode but have it plugged into the computer and start pushing and holding combinations of home and the sleep button. Last dead iPhone I ran across (the one I eventually had to trade in) worked after messing around with the buttons while plugged into the computer. I know it's a long shot and clearly very un-scientific, but it's worth a shot. It may get you up and running long enough to do a restore and take the JB worries off of your mind.
    08-26-09 07:23 PM
    Tried all of the things you guys recommended and nothing.

I did go back to the Apple store and both managers where complete pricks. They kept telling me that their policy is to book an appointment for repairs and that they can't deal with walk in customers...Which is cool and I have no problem with that but I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who didn't know about this policy. If I did I wouldn't have gone all the way to the store just to book an appointment.

I did go to another Apple location and the manager I did speak with was extremely polite and helpful. She wasn't able to replace or repair my phone but she did book me in to see someone tomorrow.

If only the sales reps at the first store where this polite I would have had no problem waiting until Saturday...

I've never written a complaint for anyone, even though I've had experiences where I should have, however, I'm really debating if I should write a letter about my experience.

Also, I'm still a little worried that they might find out my phone's jailbroken if they plug it into their comps to ruin a diagnostic check. Just curious if they'll find out my phone is JB if they run the diagnostic test...

Thanks again for the tips guys, really appreciate it!
    08-26-09 08:33 PM
    Best I could tell when I took my old phone in was they would basically plug the thing into iTunes. I took mine in "half alive" after attempting to restore from a jailbreak (which probably didn't complete). If I got a replacement with a phone that could turn on and be somewhat recognized by a computer, while still probably under a jailbreak, you should be fine with one that is completely dead. Once it goes into that little box, you're done and fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by sandos; 08-26-09 at 11:04 PM.
    08-26-09 11:01 PM
    Well since it won't come on, I don't see how they would be able to tell if it's jailbroken. Worst case scenario, they get the phone to come on and discover it's jailbroken. So now the phone is back on you can now restore and then come back if you are still having issues. If the phone doesn't come on at all for them, then they'll give you another one.
    +1. sucks the reps at the store sucked.
    08-27-09 01:30 AM
    Best I could tell when I took my old phone in was they would basically plug the thing into iTunes. I took mine in "half alive" after attempting to restore from a jailbreak (which probably didn't complete). If I got a replacement with a phone that could turn on and be somewhat recognized by a computer, while still probably under a jailbreak, you should be fine with one that is completely dead. Once it goes into that little box, you're done and fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks, appreciate the responses.

And sorry guys if this thread turned into a rant. I was pretty pissed off yesterday. Seriously appreciate all the responses.
    08-27-09 11:55 AM
    Quick update...

I went to the Apple store, a different location from the first one. I received a brand new iPhone and was out of the store in less than 5 minute. The customer service was superb at this location.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum again for their help...
    08-29-09 12:15 PM
    Quick update...

I went to the Apple store, a different location from the first one. I received a brand new iPhone and was out of the store in less than 5 minute. The customer service was superb at this location.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum again for their help...
    Awesome. I'm happy everything worked out for you. That's how long it usually takes if you need a replacement.
    08-29-09 12:17 PM
    Wow, well I just got back from the Apple store and explain my problem to them. They said that there was something in fact wrong with the phone. And that they would have to replace the phone for me. But....They said I'd have to wait until Saturday to come back and have it checked again by a service tech before they could replace my phone. Also, something else that pissed me off is that they gave me an appointment for tomorrow morning and then they said that Saturday was the earliest I could come in.

Unfortunately, I can't even get a refund since I used the phone for more than 30 minutes.

Sorry for the rant but I gotta say I'm not impressed by Apple's service. I do appreciate the advice though, thanks guys!

mdude85, I tried plugging it into the wall charger but still nothing. I kinda knew something was up when I woke up and the phone had no battery even though I had it plugged in overnight.

I went to the Apple store when my IPhone died 3 nights ago and they told me I had to have an appointment to have my phone checked and that would have been today which is Sunday, and said they could not refund/exchange until my phone went through the proper channels.

I was really upset with that, I said when I went to AT&T to purchase the phone my money left my pocket so fast I could still feel the breeze. So after being bounced around to 2 different AT&T stores which said they couldn't handle the problem, they finally referred to the Apple store. After hearing what apple was putting down all I really wanted was an Iphone replacement, so I just walked out the store went back to AT&T and asked for a refund they said they needed a manager with a code to give me that!

I finally had to buy another phone which they charged me a $35.00 restocking fee and I had a 16g, they told me they had no more 16's so if I wanted one I would have to purchase the 32g so I did only because I purchased accessories and apps other than that I would have just stayed with the one device which is my bold for business.
    Last edited by outlawglamour; 08-30-09 at 08:26 AM.
    08-30-09 08:22 AM
    I purchased accessories and apps other than that I would have just stayed with the one device which is my bold for business.
    I had a very similar problem with my Bold when I first got it. I learned my lesson and I will no longer spend the amount of money I did on apps and accessories for my iPhone. The one thing it did help with though was when I was selling my Bold all the accessories I included really helped me sell it quickly without bringing the price down to much.

It sucks that you went through everything you did. Hopefully this phone won't give you any more problems.
    08-30-09 02:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD