I'd bet that most people who switch from using a Blackberry to iPhone will most likely never return and here's why. Once somebody has made the switch they start to explore and get accustomed to the iPhone's capabilities, they can use it for work and personal use. They start downloading and using apps. Apps that make things easier and more convenient to find information and get things done. Their partner may have an iPhone also and they now use apps that can interact with each other like a calendar, grocery or reminder apps. Soon they begin to think wouldn't it be great to have an iPad2. So they get one, they purchase more apps for the iPad and subscribe to services like Hulu+ and they can use many existing apps across both devices. They purchase speaker docks for their kitchen or living room so they charge their devices and play music then they get a couple clock/radio docks for their night stands in the bedroom.
    It's time to get a new printer so hey why not get one that's compatible with these iOS devices so we can print wirelessly if we want to. Their friends and relatives already have or are now getting iPhones too. Now Grandpa who is across the country can use FaceTime to see and talk to his grandchildren. Aunts & uncles in other states use FaceTime as well.
    They start to sync their music, photos, videos, documents through iCloud. They can now take a picture with their iPhone and it shows up on the iPad almost instantly. Next they think maybe I should get an iTV so we can stream photos, videos and other content directly from my iPad or iPhone to the big TV. Cool. Later it's time to buy a new laptop. Hey we really like these Apple products so why not take a look at a Mac. They end up getting a MacBook Air. It can sync everything with iCloud too.
    So now this person who started out by simply switching to an iPhone because he was frustrated by RIMs lack of innovation now has made a substantial investment, whether consciously or unconsciously, into the Apple ecosystem.
    At this point it would be almost impossible to get that person to switch back to using a Blackberry let alone any other device. Actually this is a true story about me and think it could apply many many other people out there.
    ...I'll be back.
    11-24-11 02:18 AM
    Don't really like the iPad getting a playbook to use in tandem. With three viphones in the family I know the iPhone is not for me. Waiting for bbx.
    Last edited by i7guy; 11-24-11 at 10:51 AM.
    11-24-11 10:46 AM
    Get the whole shooting match:
    My setup
    iPhone 4s
    iPad
    MacBook PRO
    Apple TV2
    LG Plasma TV
    Yanaha 7.1 Digital Receiver

Wife has iPhone4 and a 13" White MacBook so she can also stream her iTunes library.

Apple TV2 provides the interface between Macs and iPhones for airplay and music. (home sharing)
    Kewl ideas
    I've been looking at replacing my wife's failing dell with a Mac book to start, but I have to get her over the price hump first
    After that, it would be another Mac book for me and I've been looking into using a Mac mini with lion server connected to our tv with bluetooth peripherals. I'm still looking at printer options, backup, and NAS (using the Mac mini?). And getting the wife over to AT&T and an iPhone of course, but she doesn't want to break her contract with TMO
    11-24-11 11:24 AM
    Kewl ideas
    I've been looking at replacing my wife's failing dell with a Mac book to start, but I have to get her over the price hump first
    After that, it would be another Mac book for me and I've been looking into using a Mac mini with lion server connected to our tv with bluetooth peripherals. I'm still looking at printer options, backup, and NAS (using the Mac mini?). And getting the wife over to AT&T and an iPhone of course, but she doesn't want to break her contract with TMO
    For the MBP....go to a Microcenter if you have one close by. They always have a sale going and are generally the lowest price B&M around (got my baseline 13" MBP from them for $999).

I also have a Mac Mini that I use as my media server (use a Drobo with a few 2TB drives for redundancy) and a couple of ATV2 for streaming. Works very well and Airplay has been a nice addition.
    11-24-11 02:31 PM
    I went straight from dumbphones -- Nokia, Kyocera, Samsung Juke -- to the 3GS a couple years ago, so I was never a BlackBerry defector in the first place. However, I always thought BlackBerry phones were pretty cool and for whatever reason decided to get a 9800 after getting kind of bored with the iPhone 4 (huge mistake). Long story short, I returned the POS Torch 28 days later for the just released white iPhone 4 and will probably never go back to BlackBerry although I recently checked out a demo unit 9900 and it was really cool.

EDIT: Post #500!
    11-24-11 02:37 PM
    People switch platforms when their needs change. I love Android and got so used to all I could do with it. Skype, watch movies, embedded images in email, no truncation, awesome apps and widgets. I went to Android for the browser.

Since then, I'm now going to school and I got a laptop for that purpose. Suddendly, I don't need a great browser, I can Skype on the laptop, etc. I do now want a phone that last a little longer with a keyboard.

So I'm back on BlackBerry. My needs may change again, never know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    11-25-11 07:29 AM
    For the MBP....go to a Microcenter if you have one close by. They always have a sale going and are generally the lowest price B&M around (got my baseline 13" MBP from them for $999).

I also have a Mac Mini that I use as my media server (use a Drobo with a few 2TB drives for redundancy) and a couple of ATV2 for streaming. Works very well and Airplay has been a nice addition.
    Nice! I keep forgetting there's one about an hour away

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-11 08:47 AM
    I just got my iPhone 4S and I love it. I don't think I will go back to BlackBerry. I don't know about ever, but it will be a long time. One thing I can tell you is that the voice recognition is awesome. In fact I am dictating this post and haven't typed a word.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    11-27-11 10:59 AM
    For four years I was a huge BlackBerry addict. But I recently switched to an iPhone 4s and I don't see myself going back to BlackBerry. It is as others have said, BlackBerry phones do not offer what I want from a phone. But I'm not a BlackBerry hater and I don't put down the devices.
    11-27-11 03:50 PM
    Hey Coach once people find out you have an iPhone around this forum you will automatically be labeled troll, hater, fanboy and some other terms. i wear them with a badge of honor.
    11-27-11 04:24 PM
    being a bb user since '05 im about to make this jump.
    im currently on a grandfathered unlimited data with att

does anyone know if i can transfer this to the iphone?
    11-30-11 10:14 AM

If it is grandfathered you should be good. Unless they pull some "this is a BIS data plan so it is different" BS. Otherwise I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.
    11-30-11 10:37 AM
    If it is grandfathered you should be good. Unless they pull some "this is a BIS data plan so it is different" BS. Otherwise I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

sounds good thank you.
    11-30-11 10:38 AM
    sounds good thank you.
    You're welcome, I hope all works well for you.
    11-30-11 11:12 AM

You'll be grandfathered just fine

And ....

My company was getting rid of the BES and I was the last on a Blackberry, having just received a 9930 (Verizon). I buckled, ordered an iPhone 4 and got it installed, etc. Good piece of equipment, and I gave it a try. But I ended up sending her back to Cupertino and going back to the 9930. Why?

I'm not a fanboy; my reasons are entirely practical. I don't need a religion (got one thanks). Not looking for a toy with which to play. Not in the market for a partner (or a substitute). Don't need a status symbol, or something to carry around so people will think I'm cool. And I don't need stock options, either. I like to think that I have a life, and it's a pretty good one, thanks be to God.

What I need is a tool that will allow me to: a) communicate via voice, e-mail, and text message with others; b) surf the web occasionally for the times that I need some informaiton; c) manage my calendar and tasks; d) occasionally edit word or spreadsheet documents, or take notes.

The iPhone is a wonderful piece of work, but it doesn't have a native task app. I found that typing on it was a near occasion of sin for me, as the blasted phone is too narrow for me and the absence of a physical keyboard slowed me down tremendously. In addition, the "predictive" texting cannot read my mind, and I was forever backspacing to erase what the Cupertino techies programmed the phone to "think" what I wanted to write.

But in reality, I found the iPhone to take a lot longer to do basic tasks. Yes, it's intuitive, but only if you think like Steve Jobs. My Blackberry allows me to move from one setting to another much more quickly than the iPhone (for most things) without hitting "back" a dozen times. Usually, it's a tap of the button, choose the setting, and off we go.

Finally, I didn't buy either the Blackberry or the iPhone as a homage to the innovative minds who made them. Neither did I switch from the BB to the iPhone and back because of my frustration at any perceived lack of innovation. The folks who made both of them are a heck of a lot smarter than I am, and both are really well made. And if I were stuck with the iPhone, I'd probably swear more, but my life would still be pretty good.

At the end of the day, we really need to remember a basic fact: dude, we're talking about machines. There are many more important things to worry about, and a lot of people would live for a year on what each of us spent on our phones. I'm glad you're happy in the Apple ecosystem. Have a great day.

Too much Kool-aid again lol
    Last edited by cleverocks22; 12-01-11 at 01:20 AM.
    12-01-11 01:16 AM
    I switched to the 4s in October. I was a BB user since they first came out. I was one of the first at my company to get one since I was so into technology. My last BB was a Storm 2. Had to be the worst phone I had for the past two years. The browser was shameful, the fit and build quality was horrible and the constant reboots/battery pulls were embarrassing and time consuming. The 4s has been a pleasure. Browser is outstanding. The OS is stable and steady as a rock. Call quality is excellent and the camera is amazing. I understand for the 4s, the radios were updated to qualcomm so that may have improved the call quality over prior iphones. I also have Verizon. I haven't had any dropped calls. Battery life has been great. The only things I somewhat miss are profiles, the LED notification. I don't feel like I am an Apple devotee at this point, but the 4s is definitely the best smart phone available right now. I also had a PB for a few weeks and that was soooo buggy I had to return it. The Storm 2 and the ackward launch of the PB has put me in a wait and see pattern when it comes to RIM. They have to show me they can get their act together before I migrate back to them.
    12-01-11 09:34 AM
    I was a BlackBerry user for a while until I went to iPhone in January. And I will never go back. There's just so many more things I can do with the iPhone (yes, the abundance of apps is great, and usually the iPhone version of the app is far superior).
    12-01-11 09:51 AM
    Just made the switch last month. RIM have a lot of catching up to do is all i'll say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    12-07-11 08:30 PM
    Had several BB's dating back to the 8800 World Phone and advanced with every one VZW had until the 9650. I loved the BB platform, the email and most importantly the calendar functionality. What I grew tired of were the battery pulls to keep the device running properly and the lack of the "cool kid" apps that my friends were using (i.e. Instagram, etc).

Because I run Mac computers at my house, and because RIM and Apple only want to on one another at the expense of the customer, I could NEVER get my BB to sync fully with my MBP. I tried everything on the forums, third-party apps, etc but to no avail.

So I switched to the iPhone 4 when it hit VZW and rarely looked back...except when I needed to enter something into the calendar or compose a lengthy email. I then upgraded to the iP4S and love the phone...except when I need the calendar and email functionality the BB provides.

So here is the $1MM question- why can't RIM (or anyone) enable the 9930 to sync with my Mac the way it should, have the media capability the iP4 does, and have the app ecosystem...or does it?

I never really thought I would want to go back to BB but I find myself looking quite frequently at the 9930 and thinking..."Can I get by without half of the apps that I use or enjoy the wireless sync with all my devices that I get from iOS?"

As I read these forms, it seems like the same old stuff...QNX is coming soon and BB will be awesome when QNX comes out, etc. I'm sure that's true, but will RIM be in existence by then? Are they as doomed as they appear? I don't want to switch back to a nearly dead platform- let's face it...positive news about RIM is scarce.

So, has the BB experience improved enough for those of us who made the switch to iOS to want to come back? You can't really tell if a device is worth it simply by using it in the store and I don't know ANYONE anymore with a damn BB to try it out.

Thanks for the input...and to the flamers, well, you know what you can do
    03-07-12 12:02 AM
    I think, for many of us touch screen users, we just find our user experience more enjoyable. Part of it is the capabilities of touch screens, another is the software being well written to keep the experience enjoyable, and functional. I wanted to be convinced OS 7 was a good stop gap until BBX, but felt underwhelmed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    03-07-12 03:04 AM
    I was loyal to BB for over a decade but I will never return. Here are a few of the many reasons. As an iPhone owner, I don't have to worry about if my device on my network will or won't get the software update. Apple owns the process and every device get it. With my BB, I had to either load a leaked version or wait.

Apps. I cannot overstate this, especially for business. Several of my apps are now core to my job, things like Salesforce, Genius Scan for scanning docs, Soft Sign for contract execution, and many others. Personal stuff like Citibank with the check photo deposit thing, Flipboard, Media Remote, Time Warner, Netflix, TuneIn, Nike+, all the photo apps and games of course. BB cannot compete here.

I used to think that email and the keyboard on the BB can't be beat but my iPhone is just as fast as the BB for email delivery. And I got used to the touchscreen in about a day or so.

There are a few things I miss like a real notification bar and sound profiles, but that is is. And a jailbreak can fix these.

Overall I can't see myself every going back. My iPhone does more for me now than I had ever imagined possible, email and phone was just the tip of the iceberg.
    03-07-12 10:23 AM
    I lasted 29 days on my iPhone.
    I went back to BB.
    I now have a Skyrocket to go along with my BBerries, since I like to try out new devices. I figure I have more than one set of shoes....so why not multiple devices on separate networks.
    I might try another iPhone someday. Once they give me a better set of profiles, notifications, give me the option of themes, or allow me to change my own battery.

EDIT: On impulse I went ahead and got an iPhone 4S. Running it along side my BB.

First impressions are good. However, I am not getting the battery life that some folks are posting.
    Notifications have improved, although there are still no themes and I'm trying to deal with battery issues.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 03-13-12 at 03:34 AM.
    03-07-12 01:07 PM
    Tablets have come of age and I really like having one, it doesn't have to be an iPad. For business use it's bb all the way. IOS doesn't cut the mustard.
    03-12-12 10:49 PM
    after using an iphone for the last 3 months, i dont think ill ever go back to BB. its night and day. especially the usefulness of the apps. BB was pathetic when it came to. way to limited. i defended them for a long time and held out, but it got too boring and lame. and this comes from the biggest iHater i know......me. but thats changed now. it just makes life easier.
    03-14-12 03:28 AM
    I use both, I just swap sims into the phone I want and I'm off.

I don't really agree with the OP on becoming a part of the Apple "Ecosystem" even though a lot of ppl MAY want to do that, the cost of these Apple products cause many to decline going crazy and buying 1 of everything from the apple store.

Just touching on the "going back" discussion, like I said I have both and also use my phone for business and find that the iPhone 4 (don't have the S) is an amazing business tool! I have the 9900 and keep it on the night able on WIFI but picking that up and putting my sim in there has proven to be a bit difficult for the past 2 weeks. The thing is just behind in apps, speed and overall productivity for me. Great for saving 500+ emails and even the keyboard but I'm faster on the touch screen (quieter as well for the late night emails) and far more efficient in getting the day to day done with this plethora of apps.

So unless Rim comes out with something mind blowing in the next 3 mths or so I don't see myself going back and my 9900 may get flogged.

Bbm just isn't enough to justify.
    03-14-12 06:26 AM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD