I don't need apps. I need functionality and efficiency. I don't find the iphone very functional for my needs or efficient and can't type a darm with it.

The fact my BB can contain a customized list of emails different than my desktop is makes it a valuable tool to run my business. I don't have to be bogged down with emails I don't need. For the most I've integrated the ipad into my daily workflow, but a Samsung tablet would have worked just as well. (maybe better considering the mobile safari crashes)

Apps, if you consider netflix my most used app, I don't needs apps for business, everything I need is web based.
    03-14-12 12:39 PM
    after using an iphone for the last 3 months, i dont think ill ever go back to BB. its night and day. especially the usefulness of the apps. BB was pathetic when it came to. way to limited. i defended them for a long time and held out, but it got too boring and lame. and this comes from the biggest iHater i know......me. but thats changed now. it just makes life easier.
    Kinda funny how that works, isn't it? I swore off ever owning anything made by Apple until the ex got an iPhone and I helped him set it up and loved it.

I won't say I'll never switch back to BB but with the current lineup, I won't. Nothing to switch to. BBX needs to shock and awe the masses before anything will change.
    03-14-12 01:03 PM
    Had several BB's dating back to the 8800 World Phone and advanced with every one VZW had until the 9650. I loved the BB platform, the email and most importantly the calendar functionality. What I grew tired of were the battery pulls to keep the device running properly and the lack of the "cool kid" apps that my friends were using (i.e. Instagram, etc).

Because I run Mac computers at my house, and because RIM and Apple only want to on one another at the expense of the customer, I could NEVER get my BB to sync fully with my MBP. I tried everything on the forums, third-party apps, etc but to no avail.

So I switched to the iPhone 4 when it hit VZW and rarely looked back...except when I needed to enter something into the calendar or compose a lengthy email. I then upgraded to the iP4S and love the phone...except when I need the calendar and email functionality the BB provides.

So here is the $1MM question- why can't RIM (or anyone) enable the 9930 to sync with my Mac the way it should, have the media capability the iP4 does, and have the app ecosystem...or does it?

I never really thought I would want to go back to BB but I find myself looking quite frequently at the 9930 and thinking..."Can I get by without half of the apps that I use or enjoy the wireless sync with all my devices that I get from iOS?"

As I read these forms, it seems like the same old stuff...QNX is coming soon and BB will be awesome when QNX comes out, etc. I'm sure that's true, but will RIM be in existence by then? Are they as doomed as they appear? I don't want to switch back to a nearly dead platform- let's face it...positive news about RIM is scarce.

So, has the BB experience improved enough for those of us who made the switch to iOS to want to come back? You can't really tell if a device is worth it simply by using it in the store and I don't know ANYONE anymore with a damn BB to try it out.

Thanks for the input...and to the flamers, well, you know what you can do
    I'm kind of the poster girl to answer this. I have an iPhone 4 and a 9900.

The longest I've made it on the 9900 only is 6 days before I have the iPhone back in operation and the 9900 is in a drawer. I miss my favorite apps like Tapatalk (the BB version is terrible), GetGlue, I can't even get my CTV News app on BB for crying out loud. There are some BB loyalists that say "just use the browser, you don't need apps", but I'm sorry, not the same at all. And the screensize makes using the browser to read stuff like CTV painful.

The 9900 is a great phone. No question. But the iPhone is still my daily driver. Now that I no longer have a bad battery, I made it three days this time. This post is being written on my iPhone.

The app thing kills me. It's easy to write off the apps when you aren't in an ecosystem that supports them...

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    03-14-12 01:12 PM
    never ever use facetime. ever.
    I don't get why people don't use FaceTime. It's a tremendous application that always works exactly as advertised. If I'm out of town I use it to say goodnight to my wife and kids. My son uses it to see/talk to his grandparents, aunts, and uncles out of town. I know most people never use it,....but I honestly don't get why not.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-14-12 02:00 PM
    I was loyal to BB for over a decade but I will never return. Here are a few of the many reasons. As an iPhone owner, I don't have to worry about if my device on my network will or won't get the software update. Apple owns the process and every device get it. With my BB, I had to either load a leaked version or wait.

Apps. I cannot overstate this, especially for business. Several of my apps are now core to my job, things like Salesforce, Genius Scan for scanning docs, Soft Sign for contract execution, and many others. Personal stuff like Citibank with the check photo deposit thing, Flipboard, Media Remote, Time Warner, Netflix, TuneIn, Nike+, all the photo apps and games of course. BB cannot compete here.

I used to think that email and the keyboard on the BB can't be beat but my iPhone is just as fast as the BB for email delivery. And I got used to the touchscreen in about a day or so.

There are a few things I miss like a real notification bar and sound profiles, but that is is. And a jailbreak can fix these.

Overall I can't see myself every going back. My iPhone does more for me now than I had ever imagined possible, email and phone was just the tip of the iceberg.
    While apple is the flavor of the month, I've had my S2 going on two years. I have to do a battery pull on it, as often as my wife has to reset her iphone. I need the ability to remote into my servers, that leaves the iphone out, ipad in...which is why I say all my stuff is web based and I use 0 apps on the job. Email is much better on blackberry, IMO.

The ipad stinks for remoting in, need that keyboard. Due to the current state of affairs with internet security, I only bank at the bank. Netflix is my weakness and BB doesn't have it. Don't play games.

When my stint in the business world is over, I'm getting a dumb and getting rid of my data plan. In the meantime, if my S2 breaks before RIM releases BB10 it's iphone here I come.

To each their own. I honestly can't see the "love" affair with the iphone and there are three in the family. My BB is strictly my business use device. The ipad is there to support web based access.
    03-14-12 03:48 PM
    Wow you make it sound like if you go apple all you do is spend spend spend. I'll keep keep keep.
    ....and that is exactly the whole idea of getting folks to buy an Apple device. That said, I have 2 iPhone 4s' (after being with RIM for over 10 years), and both my daughter and I look forward to moving on to the new BBX phones once they are available. While I really have nothing negative to say about the iPhone, we both agree the BlackBerry experience is one that cannot be duplicated by the hi-tech gadgetry that is the all glass and stainless steel iPhone....we simply prefer rugged and highly secure performance over fragile aesthetics.

Blowing ships out of the water one post at a time.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 03-15-12 at 05:21 AM.
    03-15-12 05:13 AM
    Kinda funny how that works, isn't it? I swore off ever owning anything made by Apple until the ex got an iPhone and I helped him set it up and loved it.

I won't say I'll never switch back to BB but with the current lineup, I won't. Nothing to switch to. BBX needs to shock and awe the masses before anything will change.
    i had an ipod classic since like 2005 as a main music device, but swore i would never giuve up my BB since i got my first one in 2009 (Bold 9000). but everyone had one, it was then what apple is now. once i started losing BBM friends to iphones, i started to think twice. i got an ipod 4 for xmas, and immediately fell in love with its usefulness. soon after, i bought a friends used iphone4 and havent looked back since. imessage is just as cool as BBM, and overall the phone never hangs or needs a reboot. i pay my bills from the apps on the fly. something i couldnt do with my BB's. email is just as fast and is set up perfectly. i hate to admit it, but everyone was right. the only thing i dont like is the non expandable storage. i mean come on, who doesnt have a microSD card slot these days. and im still not a fan of how controlling apple is over their phones and OS, like not easy to replace a bad battery.
    03-15-12 06:21 AM
    Personally, "never" is too strong a word to be used for something like a smartphone.

How many times have we heard a friend say "I'll never love another girl as much again" only to see him with another girl that "he'll never love as much" again. Its like someone saying, "if only I could have a ferrari f430, I'll NEVER need another car again". Then the new 458 italia comes out...

iPhone is a great device, and Apple's ecosystem is frankly brilliant, and also unbeatable at this point of time. From computers, ipods , iphones, ipad, to apple tv, softwares, and routers. Its pretty much a complete ecosystem that I frankly don't see anyone catching up to soon. (I have been using iOS even before it was called iOS, and every version of it since then. and frankly, I have a little too many apple products than I really need in my house right now.)

But even so, I still wouldn't dare use the word never. Saying you'll never do something, and then end up doing it, is IMO like betraying yourself.

Unless I could predict the future, I would try not to use the word "never" at something trivial. Who knows what might happen in the future, anything could happen. Who knows, a meteorite might hit cupertino? Or some other platform would come up with something extraordinary and game changing again?

But other than this minor gripe that I have, most of the post here has very valid points against why they switched over to the iphone and are not looking back for now. Of course there are also the minorities of us who was long time iphone users and switched to BB as our daily driver for other reasons as well.

All I want to say is, BB fans, or fans of other platforms, show love or respect for other platforms and what the companies have achieved. What a person choose to use as his/her phone is frankly personal preferences. There is no right or wrong. You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not the smartphone you use. We are all just people who are passionate about tech. (Apologies, I just had to get that in. Hahaha. )

Less hating and more loving. Peace out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 03-15-12 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typos.
    03-15-12 06:51 AM
    ^^^^ I really tried to like the iphone. With three in the family I've had enough seat time to know if I would like it. I really tried to love the ipad but the safari crashes have left me cold and lack of flash is annoying.

My wife can only use her ipad for 50% of the things she really wanted to use it for. She has to carry around her laptop along with the ipad.

The family loves their iphones though, mostly due to the games. I can't type on it worth a darn. In addition, when I speak to them on their iphones the call quality is just ok.

About the ipad, I've come to appreciate the nice screen, which is it's biggest asset and biggest liability at the same time.
    03-15-12 01:17 PM
    Two things led to me putting my iPhone back in rotation after work tonight.

1) for the second day in a row, and prior to the last couple of days it also happened, I didn't receive all my emails to my BB. As soon as I put my sim card in my iPhone I received a whack of mail I didn't get on my 9900

2) I was demoing stereos at the store as I usually do. Normally I dock my iPhone but since I had the 9900 I used an aux cable. I played one song, unplugged the aux cable to go to a different stereo, plugged it back in, hit play, and the stupid BB said there was a media error. I tried songs I had on my internal memory. I tried songs on the sd card. I had to battery pull (well 3 button reset) to be able to play media again. I looked pretty bad, the phone looked worse (the customer had an iPhone 3GS and we ended up taking it out of his defender to be able to test the stereo while we waited for the 9900 to restart). In fact the customer said he had been looking at a 9900 for his upgrade in a month or so but seeing it throw an error like that made him think twice. I can't say I blame him. I was pretty annoyed myself.

It sounds like something simple, a fluke, but a fluke like that makes the BB look really bad.

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    03-16-12 02:20 AM
    Yup, that would be annoying. I can relate to the annoyance of a phone letting you down.

I had a heck of a time yesterday, but with my iPhone. I was outside watching some guys cut a dead tree in my backyard and I had my iPhone with me. I wanted to take a picture of "the big moment" and when I tried to do so I found, to my dismay, that the screen was almost completely black in the sunshine. I could not see what I was trying to focus on. So I missed "the big moment."

See, all devices have issues. I could say I couldn't take the picture because of the stupid screen on the stupid iPhone. But I take it as an iPhone quirk.

I've yet to experience emails not coming through on my BB while they come through on the other device, be it the Skyrocket or the iPhone. Unless there is a RIM or carrier issue. Which aside from the big one last year, I have yet to experience. And certainly nothing yesterday.

As far as the media error, yup, BBerries' strong suit is not media. The iPhone wins that over anything else out there.
    reeneebob likes this.
    03-16-12 03:36 AM
    I won't be switching back to a blackberry ever again as my primary device. The Developer support for Apple is unmatched by RIM. Along with iCloud, amazing camera with photo editing as well as an outstanding video camera and its editing features. Finally the ability to now use it as a work device makes my iPhone practically indispensable to me. It does everything my Blackberry did plus so much more.

?
    03-16-12 04:35 AM
    Brandon...I meant to say this before but hells bells I like your Red Delicious Apple. Heh.

Sent from my Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    phonejunky likes this.
    03-17-12 06:55 AM
    there will always be a group of crowd saying apples are toys.and another group of crowd saying apples are the best.but why do some switch to apple and then say can't wait to get away from them and move onto another platform?there is no denying that apple is ahead of the game.but android can have a say in that.just wait until the iphone 5,blackberry london,and samsung galaxy s3 clash.

and having so many devices like qbnkelt isn't that stretching it a bit?isn't one smartphone to be sufficient for needs?what do each one do differently?its like comparing homeless children around the world with no food and clothing.and here we have people owning like 10 smartphones.
    03-18-12 01:13 AM
    and having so many devices like qbnkelt isn't that stretching it a bit?isn't one smartphone to be sufficient for needs?what do each one do differently?its like comparing homeless children around the world with no food and clothing.and here we have people owning like 10 smartphones.

Well, snow, to explain my choices to you...I like tech. I didn't marry any one company. I like informed decisions based on my experience. And when I speak to something I know what I'm talking about.
    As to charity or starving children, my practices are not of any significance to this forum.
    As to buying so many devices, my finances are of no significance to this forum.

Now....why are they of any significance to you?
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 03-18-12 at 09:23 AM.
    GingerSnapsBack and moiselles like this.
    03-18-12 06:14 AM
    Seems excessive.
    03-18-12 09:54 AM
    And why should be of significance to anyone other than me and my creditors?
    03-18-12 10:07 AM
    Just an observation. Do you use all at the same time? In other words do they all have active service plans?

I do agree that each platforms offers different strenghts.
    03-18-12 10:15 AM
    I can totally understand someone having 10 smartphones because I am a gadget junkie myself. Its no different than someone who is a passionate collector of shoes, handbags, watches, cars, etc. I personally don't understand people who can use the same phone for 2 years or more. I get bored with my phone in about 6 months. I sell off my "old" phones as I aquire new ones to balance out the expense but if I could afford to keep them all I would. I work hard for my money and this is my "hobby". I don't feel bad about it.
    03-18-12 10:19 AM
    Just an observation. Do you use all at the same time? In other words do they all have active service plans?

I do agree that each platforms offers different strenghts.
    I have two accounts, one for VZW and one for AT&T. I have two devices on VZW in case one fails so I rotate them on a whim. I have three lines on AT&T, one for me, my mother's line, and a spare family line for when anyone needs a phone. On AT&T I have the other devices, since I'm on unlimited I keep my more data consuming devices there....Android and the iP4S. I change those also on a whim, although going to and from the Skyrocket requires a trip to AT&T because of the SIM card difference. Changing across BB is easiest.
    03-18-12 10:57 AM
    People's needs will definitely dictate what phone they use, but its clear to see that RIM's days are numbered.
    03-20-12 04:03 PM
    It will be very hard for me to go back. With having a iPad and how it all works together. The last blackberry I had was a storm 2. Was brand new when I bought it just came out and was not supported 3 months after I bought it. If I'm signing a two year contract I want my device supported for at least a year would be nice. The iPhone gets updates just fine.
    03-20-12 06:01 PM
    I have two accounts, one for VZW and one for AT&T. I have two devices on VZW in case one fails so I rotate them on a whim. I have three lines on AT&T, one for me, my mother's line, and a spare family line for when anyone needs a phone. On AT&T I have the other devices, since I'm on unlimited I keep my more data consuming devices there....Android and the iP4S. I change those also on a whim, although going to and from the Skyrocket requires a trip to AT&T because of the SIM card difference. Changing across BB is easiest.
    I got my BB full size sIm card cut and a sim adapter, so the micro fits both phones. That way you wouldn't need to go to AT&T. Yesterday I was using the Bold. Today I had an 11 hour shift so I had my iPhone (the BB won't make it 11 hours yet).

Try that, it may be easier.

I agree on not having to answer for having multiple phones. It's nice to have a spare should something happen, and as long as I pay my bills on time it's no ones business but you and your creditors.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    03-20-12 09:06 PM
    "People who have switched to the iPhone will never come back?"

Sure they will. To post iPropaganda.
    03-20-12 09:09 PM
    I've owned two BBs and now two iPhones. I honestly do not see myself switching to BlackBerry ever again. I love my iPhone. And I'm heavily invested in iPhone apps. Not to mention, the quality of iPhone apps compared to BlackBerry apps is night and day. I'm not a game-player, I have three games on my iPhone and I might play one once or twice a month. So it's not just an "iToy" and people who say that absolutely do not give the device enough credit.

I never had any major issues with either of my BBs. No real complaints, but when I saw a friend of mine with her iPhone 4 back in August, I got jealous of the beautiful screen and how fluid the OS was. I started to think about how I might want to go back to Apple. Once the 4S was announced with its amazing upgraded camera, I was hooked!

I can type just as fast with my iPhone as I could on my BlackBerry. My battery life is the same, if not better. Overall, for me, the 4S is the better device.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    03-20-12 09:58 PM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD