Mods: sorry about posting this in the BB News/Rumors forums but I wasn't sure how many checked the iPhone forums regularly.

A newly published patent indicates that Apple is apparently tinkering with the idea of a sophisticated infrared system for the iPhone--one that could help in Cupertino's quest to become BFFs with the music and movie industries. What's really going on here is basically a way for an iPhone to receive data about its surrounding environment. The entertainment industry could come in if, for example, a band--or more likely, its record company--doesn't want a concert to be recorded illegally. They could place infrared transmitters around the stage, which, when picked up by an iPhone camera pointed at them, could trigger a disabling of all recording on the phone.
    Read more: Apple patent suggests infrared sensors for iPhone | Crave - CNET

Talk about the reach-around once again...
    Last edited by sg8330; 06-16-11 at 01:52 PM. Reason: changed source of article
    06-16-11 01:40 PM
    no offense but that has to be one of the worst "sources" for actually info in the world
    06-16-11 01:44 PM
    I think you'd need an actual announcement, and not merely a patent. Otherwise you're just wasting time.
    06-16-11 01:49 PM
    no offense but that has to be one of the worst "sources" for actually info in the world
    howarmat, would you prefer the actual source?

Apple working on a Sophisticated Infrared System for iOS Cameras - Patently Apple

CNET is a horrible source, but they to tend to actually link to a good source, unlike some other sites to link to a blog, that links to a blog that links to a blog and it takes 10 pages to finally find the full source and data.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-16-11 02:33 PM
    I'm actually curious what uses Apple intends the patent, and have been mulling it over and discussing it with others over the last couple weeks. I seriously doubt it's for limiting video and pics taken at concerts etc.. as there is no way Apple would be so crazy to ensure only other brand smartphones would be attending concerts and other live events.

A more believable use for the patent would be in the corporate/enterprise arena. Secure smartphones that can have cameras on them, but unable to take pictures in secure locations. That would be a big score.
    06-16-11 02:33 PM
    I think you'd need an actual announcement, and not merely a patent. Otherwise you're just wasting time.
    Well the Patent gives a glimps into some idea's Apple might have.

From patent to fruition it could be 3-5 years for something like this to come about,
    06-16-11 02:35 PM
    I'm actually curious what uses Apple intends the patent, and have been mulling it over and discussing it with others over the last couple weeks. I seriously doubt it's for limiting video and pics taken at concerts etc.. as there is no way Apple would be so crazy to ensure only other brand smartphones would be attending concerts and other live events.

A more believable use for the patent would be in the corporate/enterprise arena. Secure smartphones that can have cameras on them, but unable to take pictures in secure locations. That would be a big score.

That is exactly what I think it would be for

Apple wants iPhones to be mandated, but doesn't want to make a iPhone with no Camara, like RIM makes Blackberry's with NO camera's so if they make it so they can sell the phones AND the devices to keep the phones from being able to take pictures it is a WIN WIN for Apple, and they have a sell able feature into the Enterprise and government firms
    06-16-11 02:37 PM
    howarmat, would you prefer the actual source?

Apple working on a Sophisticated Infrared System for iOS Cameras - Patently Apple

CNET is a horrible source, but they to tend to actually link to a good source, unlike some other sites to link to a blog, that links to a blog that links to a blog and it takes 10 pages to finally find the full source and data.
    yes anything is better than the sun or national inquirer type trash
    06-16-11 04:05 PM
    That is exactly what I think it would be for

Apple wants iPhones to be mandated, but doesn't want to make a iPhone with no Camara, like RIM makes Blackberry's with NO camera's so if they make it so they can sell the phones AND the devices to keep the phones from being able to take pictures it is a WIN WIN for Apple, and they have a sell able feature into the Enterprise and government firms
    Until the iPhone is jailbroken. then you can take pictures wherever you want.
    06-16-11 07:24 PM
    Until the iPhone is jailbroken. then you can take pictures wherever you want.
    In an enterprise/corporate environment, a jailbroken iPhone could (and most likely would) be instantly bricked or wiped.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 06-16-11 at 07:29 PM.
    06-16-11 07:27 PM
    Or perhaps the infrared could be of a color or frequency that makes ALL ccds not record images. A blinding effect, as a twist on the original patent.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-11 07:22 AM
    In an enterprise/corporate environment, a jailbroken iPhone could (and most likely would) be instantly bricked or wiped.
    Only if you allow the phone to be controlled in the enterprise. I have an iPhone and won't put it on our servers for just that reason.
    06-17-11 08:34 AM
    how so? and are you sure it's not possible to hide the jailbroken-ness from the server?
    06-17-11 03:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD