Hi all. I just purchased a 4s for my stepson. When we went to switch his info onto a microsim, the rep helping us was giving us the usual spiel about conserving battery life. What caught our ears was the rep saying not to charge over night.

Doesn't technology these days allow us to simply plug in our devices and the charge stops once the battery is full?

I know in the past, this piece of advice made sense, but was the rep just saying that to be overly cautious because of the complaints regarding the 4s's battery life?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    04-30-12 10:45 PM
    I'm fairly sure Apple devices are designed that once fully charged, will discharge 2-3% then charge again, and continue that cycle till unplugged.
    04-30-12 10:55 PM
    Thank you. Following this rep's advice isn't practical. I'll pass this on.

04-30-12 11:06 PM
    i leave my phone plugged in all night. there is no harm done. i take things that "reps" tell me with a grain of salt, as im usually more informed than they are.
    05-01-12 09:49 AM
    +1 for charging all night. Did it with my i4 and now with my i4S. Never a problem.
    05-01-12 10:41 AM
    I've always charged my smartphones overnight going all the way back to my Treo 300.
    Hard to believe the rep would say that.
    Good Luck
    05-01-12 07:13 PM
    I dont think there would be a problem, ive done it for almost two years and my battery still lasts two full days with normal use (for me 'normal' use is what most power users would consider 'moderate')

one thing you may want to keep in mind is BRIGHTNESS.

Two weeks ago my battery was only lasting one day (instead of the normal two) and i was freaking out... i thought my battery was DONE and i would have to spend money to get it fixed, because lasting ONE day on the little that I use it is NOT COOL. I spent hours trying to figure out if i changed anything and I couldnt. I thought maybe it was because I recently started playing Draw Something and that I left the app in the background, so i closed it and for two days the same thing happened. Then, for whatever reason it just hit me:

Around the time that the 'battery drain' started I was outside and I couldnt see my screen so i tried maxing out the BRIGHTNESS and it worked, the glare was no longer blocking out my screen. Buuuuut, i forgot to set it back to what the 30 that i usually have it on and THAT was why my battery wasnt lasting. If the main battery drain (the screen) is at triple the BRIGHTNESS it stands to reason that the battery wouldnt last as long.

I keep my brightness at 30% and it SAVES a lot of battery, and to be honest it even seems too bright at that... but keeping it lower and having to put it to 30% everytime i go outside is a hassle so i found that 30% is the best 'never have to change it' setting that will save the most battery.

I hope that long rant helps... lol
    05-02-12 12:48 AM
    excellent advice. thanks.

05-02-12 07:36 AM
    Do not recharge it all night. When you do that, you are messing with the reversible chemical reaction that recharges your battery. And later, your battery life will be reduced. This goes for any brand of phones regardless of the tactics used to minimize the effects of this.
    05-02-12 03:09 PM
    Hi all. I just purchased a 4s for my stepson. When we went to switch his info onto a microsim, the rep helping us was giving us the usual spiel about conserving battery life. What caught our ears was the rep saying not to charge over night.

Doesn't technology these days allow us to simply plug in our devices and the charge stops once the battery is full?

I know in the past, this piece of advice made sense, but was the rep just saying that to be overly cautious because of the complaints regarding the 4s's battery life?

oh boy

since the rep was knowledgeable enough to tell you to NOT charge it overnight, what was his/her suggestion?

Do not recharge it all night. When you do that, you are messing with the reversible chemical reaction that recharges your battery. And later, your battery life will be reduced. This goes for any brand of phones regardless of the tactics used to minimize the effects of this.
    never heard this before. can you back up your theory on this.
    jclif likes this.
    05-02-12 03:44 PM
    oh boy

since the rep was knowledgeable enough to tell you to NOT charge it overnight, what was his/her suggestion?

never heard this before. can you back up your theory on this.

3-4 hours max. Too weird.

05-02-12 07:45 PM
    All devices these days use lithium-ion batteries. It shouldn't matter what device is in use, there really isn't a rule for iPhones or anything regarding overnight charging..

Lithium-ion batteries can be charged overnight.
    05-02-12 09:37 PM
    Not correct. The iPhone has built in circuitry to prevent overcharging. Please do not give advice to people if you have no idea what you are talking about.
    GingerSnapsBack and jclif like this.
    05-03-12 08:53 AM
    My husband plugs in and charges all night every night regardless of where his battery % is at, and I've also done the occasional plug in overnight to charge thing as well. Plus my other older kids with iPhones do so too. No issues here & have been doing this since July2011 & Nov 2011
    05-03-12 07:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD