05-16-10 11:39 AM
    Not a smart idea for the iPhone. Battery life sucks as it is, and overclocking will probably fry ur phone leaving u with a very expensive paperweight.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-10 11:50 AM
    Just wanted to confirm this post and say that this works !

You will need a systems file explorer off cydia , even the free ones will work.

Good luck , and have fun !

Thanks for the post SaneinOne
    05-16-10 11:50 AM
    Theres no logical way this works. All youre changing is the power management plists, not changing anything with the clock speed of the CPU.

Refer to the link to hackulous in that article and the person who pasted this: "THIS IS NOT AN OVERCLOCK IN ANY WAY, IT IS A SPEED BOOST! SO DONT GET THIS CONFUSED WITH AN OVERCLOCK!"

This likely has little to no effect on anything other than a placebo effect and sucking your battery faster because your tinkering with power state settings.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-16-10 at 12:12 PM.
    05-16-10 12:04 PM
    Does it actually make the phone faster in a noticable way?
    05-16-10 12:15 PM
    probably not, it may give you .5 second faster wake times, etc because youre playing with the power states.

All its doing though is sucking your battery faster by tinkering with the power states. Not worth it IMO and it makes no logical sense it speeds anything up significantly considering this guy who found it first was insistent it was a CPU overclock and then changed it to being a "slight speed increase."

He obviously dosnt know what he's doing if he thought he was changing CPU clock speed in a power profile plist.
    05-16-10 12:16 PM
    This is useless. You'll just kill your battery faster.

05-16-10 01:44 PM
    Why would you want to overclock it anyway?

It's quick as heck already-
    05-16-10 04:20 PM
    Why would you want to overclock it anyway?

It's quick as heck already-
    Not the first gen devices. The 3G is pretty slow, too.

05-16-10 04:21 PM
    Oh, I can see the 3G and 2G...

Forgot people still use those lol
    05-16-10 04:29 PM
    Thousand of people still use them. Lol. Or millions. Not sure which.

05-16-10 11:13 PM
    I'm sure once the next iPhone launches, I'll be in the minority lol!

But seriously. what does overclocking the processor do?

I hear droid owners talking about this all the time.

Does it make slower games run smoother?
    05-17-10 08:46 AM
    I'm sure once the next iPhone launches, I'll be in the minority lol!

But seriously. what does overclocking the processor do?

I hear droid owners talking about this all the time.

Does it make slower games run smoother?
    It just means to have (in this case) the processor to run at more cycles per second than what it was designed for. So for instance if Apple designed their processor to run at 1GHZ, someone that wants to "overclock" it will manipluate it to run at 1.2GHZ. Processors can usually run at a higher rate that what they are set for. The manufacturer usually test them at higher rates to see the limits and then set them at a lower rate for production. So bascially you're pushing the processor to the limit. Most processors can be overclocked.

Think of it like pushing your body to the limit. If you're a runner you can probably run faster if you pushed yourself to the limit but you'll burn out faster or you could hurt yourself. Same thing with this stuff, you can push the processor a little further but if you do that you risk damaging the component, burning it out, excessive overheating, running unstable and not having enough power to support it so you'll can damage other things as well. The manufacturer specifies a certain speed so it can would best with all the other components. But users push it to the limit to get better performance but the manufacturer didn't design it to work so hard, so fast, so often with the components around it so it could very damaging to not consider those things.
    05-17-10 09:15 AM
    It just means to have (in this case) the processor to run at more cycles per second than what it was designed for. So for instance if Apple designed their processor to run at 1GHZ, someone that wants to "overclock" it will manipluate it to run at 1.2GHZ. Processors can usually run at a higher rate that what they are set for. The manufacturer usually test them at higher rates to see the limits and then set them at a lower rate for production. So bascially you're pushing the processor to the limit. Most processors can be overclocked.
    Okay, I get that part-

I just don't understand what does this accomplish?

Quicker fps? Transitions? Load times?
    05-17-10 09:21 AM
    Sooks, how's battery life with it thus far?

Just wanted to confirm this post and say that this works !

You will need a systems file explorer off cydia , even the free ones will work.

Good luck , and have fun !

Thanks for the post SaneinOne
    05-17-10 09:48 AM
    Okay, I get that part-

I just don't understand what does this accomplish?

Quicker fps? Transitions? Load times?
    Well it basically means the same as if you have a faster processor in your computer. Quicker reponse, faster boot times for programs etc.... But of course the actual difference vs benefit depends on other factors as well like RAM, HD space etc...
    05-17-10 10:39 AM
    Sooks, how's battery life with it thus far?
    Hey man , i only ran it for like 30 min , and battery was dropping fast for me , i had a buddies 3GS to compare it to and there was a nice 2-3 sec lead... now i dont know if that was due to me running OS 4.0 and he running OS 3.1.3
    05-17-10 11:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD