hello all,
    I just got my Otterbox Defender, and my question is this...I realize the phone locks into the belt clip with the screen facing inward but is it supposed to lock in the clip with the screen facing outward as well?? Reason I ask is, mine does not. If it is not made to do that I understand, but the clip has a cut out on the base of it for the circular home button which would lead me to believe that it was inteded to lock either way.

Also I had read reviews of people complaining that it was difficult to remove their phone from the belt clip. I don't have this issue at all as it seems like it should be a little more secure in the clip than it is. So maybe I have a defective clip?? Just figured that I would throw this out to all of you iPhone Guru's to see whats up.

Thank you as always for your insight and knowledge...
    07-15-09 04:15 AM
    hello all,
    I just got my Otterbox Defender, and my question is this...I realize the phone locks into the belt clip with the screen facing inward but is it supposed to lock in the clip with the screen facing outward as well?? Reason I ask is, mine does not. If it is not made to do that I understand, but the clip has a cut out on the base of it for the circular home button which would lead me to believe that it was inteded to lock either way.

Also I had read reviews of people complaining that it was difficult to remove their phone from the belt clip. I don't have this issue at all as it seems like it should be a little more secure in the clip than it is. So maybe I have a defective clip?? Just figured that I would throw this out to all of you iPhone Guru's to see whats up.

Thank you as always for your insight and knowledge...
    I have the exact same concerns as you on the holster - I even emailed Otterbox support about it but haven't heard back. My phone even slipped out the other day as I was briskly walking/jogging from my truck to my office in the rain. The up/down motion caused the phone to just disengage from the holster clips. Seems too loose to me.

I think the cutout is for when you use the the holster as a stand to show off pics/videos on your iPhone - so you can press the home button - I don't believe the holster is set up to hold the iPhone face out.
    07-15-09 07:43 AM
    Ok, so I called Otterbox. They said that the phone is designed to fit in face first, which I kinda figured was the case. The fix they advised before a warranty replacement of the belt clip was to use a hair dryer and heat up the clips and gently push them in to make the lock in function stronger.

So I did just that. I used the hair dryer and heated not the clips but where the bend is in the plastic going around to the back of the belt clip. I did this on both sides and it definately worked. It made the belt clip retain the phone alot better than before. Now I can shake the phone upside down in the belt clip and it does not move. Before the phone would fall out of the belt clip. I guess I will have to see how long this fix works before I have to do it again or get a replacement.

So good luck with your fix if you have a problem. The otterbox it s great case.
    07-15-09 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD