08-02-09 02:09 PM
32 12
tools
    So maybe I have missed something here but are BB's vunerable to this to? I have read that apple, winmo, and even maybe adroid but no one has mentioned BB.

I have a storm so one easy method of this would be to just shut the GSM side of the phone off (I am on big red) but I was just curios if BB is on the hit list as well and if so what os numbers, if any fix this?
    08-01-09 11:12 PM
    I'm not updating until the new os can be jailbroken. I've loaded too many useful apps to go back to the stock OS. Very frustrating to have to deal with Apple oppressive management of what programs we can run on our phones.
    08-01-09 11:22 PM
    So maybe I have missed something here but are BB's vunerable to this to? I have read that apple, winmo, and even maybe adroid but no one has mentioned BB.

I have a storm so one easy method of this would be to just shut the GSM side of the phone off (I am on big red) but I was just curios if BB is on the hit list as well and if so what os numbers, if any fix this?
    This will not affect BBs. If it did, there would have been mention of it along with the Black Hat report. The two guys that found the exploit were looking for holes in all SMS-based transmissions and only found a hole in GSM-based phone for the moment.

But to add to the security, Verizon is a CMDA network. Here in the US, you will not receive any GSM transmissions if you're connected to the Verizon network, as the Storm can't pick up CDMA and GSM at the same time.
    08-01-09 11:39 PM
    I hope everyone realizes how hard it would be to go through with this exploit. Forget the 512 messages, but how about knowing who has what smartphone. There a lot of factors on why this hack is useless, but everyone wants to go in panic mode for no absolute reason.

I don't have my credit cards # / SSNs / bank info written down on my memopad.

I'm not even updating my phone.
    08-02-09 10:59 AM
    I totally agree Ive said this on other forums too how people panic about nothing. 512 messages, user cant delete any of them, and it took the dev 2.5 weeks just to code it knowing what he was doing. You have better odds of being struck by lightning AND winning the lottery then getting hacked by this.

I updated just to see what else was new or tweaked, but thats about it.
    08-02-09 11:06 AM
    I hope everyone realizes how hard it would be to go through with this exploit. Forget the 512 messages, but how about knowing who has what smartphone. There a lot of factors on why this hack is useless, but everyone wants to go in panic mode for no absolute reason.

I don't have my credit cards # / SSNs / bank info written down on my memopad.

I'm not even updating my phone.
    Exactly. This hack really isn't that big of a deal. Just because it mentions the iPhone is vulnerable, people make a huge deal out of it.
    08-02-09 12:37 PM
    Yeh no one knows yet what else was changed, but people love to pass judgment before knowing all the facts of course.
    I believe it also addresses the Palm Pre again. This time if anyone with a Pre tries to sync with iTunes they get zapped with 30,000 volts.
    08-02-09 02:09 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD