iPhone browsing could be faster with Opera -- if Apple approves - CNN.com

Thought this was interesting, do you think Apple will approve?
    03-13-10 12:57 AM
    They freakin' better accept it.
    03-13-10 01:10 AM
    IMHO not a chance in **** that Apple will approve this. Before anyone spouts off, that's just the way it is with Apple, and for the record I think that Opera is crap when compared to Safari, but that's just me.
    03-13-10 01:12 AM
    I just want to have another browser to choose from. I'll probably end up using Safari though, if only because of the multitouch.
    03-13-10 01:18 AM
    I just want to have another browser to choose from. I'll probably end up using Safari though, if only because of the multitouch.
    No I get that having options for a browser would be nice, but IMHO there is not a better mobile browser then safari so it really does not matter to me. Plus it's Apple, you have to know that they are not going to approve this.
    03-13-10 02:35 AM
    Safari is the standard by which all others are measured. Why approve a browser that's sub par in comparison?
    Last edited by Totalimmortal363; 03-15-10 at 01:21 AM.
    03-13-10 11:31 AM
    Well... apple has already approved other browsers. Swift was one that I d/led for free, so I don't see why they would deny Opera.
    03-14-10 01:34 AM
    Opera isn't even that great of a browser.

Now if Firefox made a mobile version for BB's / iWhatevers...then there'd be something to cause some commotion about.
    03-14-10 03:28 AM
    Well... apple has already approved other browsers. Swift was one that I d/led for free, so I don't see why they would deny Opera.
    That's right I forgot about that, is it any good?
    03-14-10 03:56 AM
    Opera isn't even that great of a browser.

Now if Firefox made a mobile version for BB's / iWhatevers...then there'd be something to cause some commotion about.
    Better still would be a mobile version of Chrome.
    03-14-10 03:57 AM
    A browser that's comparable to Safari and cut down on my data usage would be nice.

Why wouldn't a 3rd party browser designed for the iPhone be multitouch?
    Is that something apple doesn't allow?
    03-14-10 12:49 PM
    That's right I forgot about that, is it any good?
    Didn't use it, but once or twice. Lol. Try it and let me know what you think. I think it has full screen mode (something like that) which Safari doesn't offer.
    03-15-10 12:31 AM
    Safari is the standard by which all other are measured. Why approve a browser that's sub par in comparison?
    Why do you think it's sub par? All the reviews indicate it's much faster than Safari.
    03-15-10 12:38 AM
    Have you ever used the two side by side? Speed isn't everything. The fluidity of Safari is unmatched, hands down. Pinch to zoom beats the **** out of having to pull a menu up to zoom in/out. If the scrolling in Opera on other platforms is any tell, it wont touch Safari. Safari RARELY renders a page wrong, a lot less can be said for Opera. Javascripts is seriously painful in Opera, unless I just completely missed some magic setting.
    03-15-10 01:27 AM
    Have you ever used the two side by side? Speed isn't everything. The fluidity of Safari is unmatched, hands down. Pinch to zoom beats the **** out of having to pull a menu up to zoom in/out. If the scrolling in Opera on other platforms is any tell, it wont touch Safari. Safari RARELY renders a page wrong, a lot less can be said for Opera. Javascripts is seriously painful in Opera, unless I just completely missed some magic setting.
    We have to think about the common usage scenario. I'm most likely to hit some news site or blog when I have a free moment on my device, so I appreciate Opera being much faster. And it renders almost every site very well.

Even for JavaScript sites, Opera Mini and webKit usually don't differ by much in what they can work with. Mobile webKit usually has problems with complex JavaScript sites. If it's a simple JavaScript, it's likely to work also in Opera Mini.

But above all, it's the common usage that matters, and Opera Mini is optimized to load pages fast. No, pinch to zoom isn't that important in comparison, actually it's annoying to use two hands just to zoom in. Double tap is just fine.

And, it saves bandwidth and battery power because it doesn't need to download and render the full page on the device. The iPhone could use help there.
    03-15-10 02:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD