http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100729/hows-apples-walled-garden-look-now/

Wow in a nutshell a app for the Android that was suppose to serve as a wallpaper app has been collecting users personal info and sending it to their headquarters. Wow scary stuff. Article talks about the difference between apple/ android apps, good eye opening read

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-10 04:26 PM
    http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100729/hows-apples-walled-garden-look-now/

Wow in a nutshell a app for the Android that was suppose to serve as a wallpaper app has been collecting users personal info and sending it to their headquarters. Wow scary stuff. Article talks about the difference between apple/ android apps, good eye opening read

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The story is only partially correct, updated numbers from numerous different sites put that "millions" talk in the neighborhood of 50-250k downloads. They also go on to say that it isnt malicious but reporting such information is suspicious (in my opinion its still wrong but whatev)

Also dont forget, Android is not the only platform that suffers from this. Most of these free apps do some kind of "tracking".

The walled garden isnt so impenetrable now is it? Given that Apple has let apps into the store with hidden easter eggs (tethering anyone?) we cant really blast anyone. Regardless, its why Google/Apple/Microsoft all have a kill switch on apps, and Google has killed this while its pending investigation.
    07-29-10 06:25 PM
    The point in Android is just asking for abuse, it's only a matter (it looks like it's happen already) of time Android users get blasted by an AC130 maliciously. You want open apples, how do you like those open apples (no pun intended).

Ticking time bomb... tick tick tick.. I say Android will beat Windows for most malicious attacks and or malware by this time next year.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 07-30-10 at 12:40 AM.
    07-30-10 12:37 AM
    The point in Android is just asking for abuse, it's only a matter (it looks like it's happen already) of time Android users get blasted by an AC130 maliciously. You want open apples, how do you like those open apples (no pun intended).

Ticking time bomb... tick tick tick.. I say Android will beat Windows for most malicious attacks and or malware by this time next year.
    Doubt it. Its not an issue that only Android suffers from. There are apps you might be running right now that are reporting some kind of personal info back to some remote server.

The only way to tell definitively is to scour every line of code of every app. I severely doubt thats what Apple or Google is doing.
    07-30-10 01:01 PM
    To tell you the truth, this still wouldn't stop me from getting an Android device.
    07-30-10 01:45 PM
    The only way to tell definitively is to scour every line of code of every app. I severely doubt thats what Apple or Google is doing.

This is just a recent example with Apple:How a 15-yo Kid Tricked Apple With a Disguised iPhone Tethering App

Pretty funny if you ask me, but they were quick about pulling it down. The Apple App Store ecosystem does definitely assist in reducing the chance of a threat, but there is a trade off of only being able to install Apple approved apps (unless jailbroken).

In the end there is no truly secure platform some will be better than others, precautions can be taken, but malicious software will still find it's way on to devices. User education and research is the best thing you can do to avoid having your device getting tactically nuked.
    07-30-10 01:47 PM
    Also, it helps against spyware, malware, viruses, and piracy!
    07-31-10 10:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD