03-19-10 05:50 PM
81 123 ...
tools
    Now as some of you know, Im definitely an iphone user who will stand up for the iphone any day (not a fanboy at all but like the truth to be heard).

Ive been coming to a slow realization owning my first iphone, a 3GS, since it came out- so about 9 months now (well second technically, upgraded from 16gb to 32gb in November/December). This realization is that the battery life on the iphone is a big concern.

I have 1 exchange account and a gmail account checking every hour. The brightness is down to about 1/4, dont use bluetooth so its off, location on, 3g on, and use wifi when at home or around wifi (saved access points so its not searching which is turned off anyways) since wifi gets better battery life than 3g connection.

It really is a struggle to make it a full day sometimes, and thats disappointing lately. Apple's suggestions are we turn off 3g, poll email less frequently, turn off location, etc. This kind of response really bothers me. Instead of putting a bigger 1500mah battery in, they want us to turn our phones into bricks that do nothing. Im already checking email as least frequently as reasonable- 1 hr. Also they promote an app for everything, but using some apps drains your battery so fast theyre barely worth the sacrifice no matter how cool they are.

Dont get me wrong, the iphone can do SO many things, plus Im jailbroken and have extensive add-ons from Cydia to basically do anything you could want. I guess Im just getting to a breaking point where if the battery cant last then whats the point of having all the apps and tools if you cant use them without recharging during the day? A phone should be able to last an 8am-6pm day and have juice left for the ride home and make evening calls on that little bit of use. Its not like im pounding the 3D graphic games or Safari/data all day either here. I mean Im scared to leave Beejive running and connected because Id have no battery by 6pm. I also dont use streaming (never even used the youtube app more than to test it).

And im a fairly light user- reading maybe 20-30 emails during the day, very little web browsing (sometimes 5 min), maybe read RSS twice a day in an app, send a few texts, sometimes 5-30 min of calls in a day. And its still a struggle to make it through the day, even with good 3G coverage here around the Miami area. Its definitely not a coverage issue. I dont know if you could get much lighter of a user unless its a soccer mom making a few calls and some texts a day.

I dont mean this as a bash on the iphone at all, just wondering about other's opinions how they deal with the battery life at anything more than a light user level. I did buy a battery pack that clip into the dock port on the bottom of the phone, but its a lot of effort to remember to keep it charged and carry it around or a charger. We SHOULDNT have to do those things to make it through 1 day, nor should we have to avoid using our phones reasonably just to make it through a day. Also we have the dilema of the battery only lasting 300-400 charge cycles before it dips to 80% capacity, so if you charge twice a day, they battery starts to lose capacity in about 6-7 months (at of course $90 to replace the battery). Sure AppleCare covers it under 12 months i believe but kiss your jailbreak byebye b/c of the new bootrom if they just swap you, or be without your phone if the replace your battery.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-14-10 at 09:38 PM.
    03-14-10 09:21 PM
    I have two exchange accounts and 6 other email accounts hooked up. I'm constantly sending SMS and tweeting using two different clients (one mainly for push & the other send/read tweets). 12 apps using push notifications, 5 of which are constantly pushing. Just counted and it's actually 7 of them. Brightness is at 50% (will be lowering), jailbroken with biteSMS running. I also use Tapatalk to go on forums constantly throughout the day and have recently been playing street fighter iv for about 10-15 minutes.

With all that, I won't get to 10% warning for at least 9-10 hours.

I'm not even counting me using bluetooth when I go to the gym to listen through the headset I have.

I used to get pissed off at how my 9700 can last me more than 2 days on usage, but then I realized how much the phone actually does. How big the screen actually is, needing more battery power to light it up. It's also a touchscreen. Physical keyboards use less battery power. Try going with a Nexus One and you'll see what I mean about battery life.

With that said, I do hope that the next gen iPhone can give me at least 1/4 more battery life on one full charge.
    03-14-10 09:55 PM
    Oh, I do realize its a big screen, processor, graphics processor, etc.

But saying that I agree 1/4 more battery would be a big improvement. I just cant get the logic that they only put in a 1150mah battery in there when there are plenty slim 1500mah ones out there- like the ones in the Bold's. Theyre plenty thin to fit n there.

Of course its not the worst battery life out there, but for an advertised media and app phone, they shouldve had the foresight to put a bigger battery in there to accommodate that use.

I mean Id just like to get home at 6pm after 10 hours off the charger with minimal use IMO as I stated, and not have to plug the phone in at 30-40% left. The end of the 8-10 hour business day isnt the end of our physical days- there are friends to call and text still, and going out- a social life where you still need a charge. Im not big on car chargers either really, I dont like the idea of hooking a $600+ phone to a charger 2 or 3 times a day for short stints to make it through, it just should.

I guess I was spoiled too by my 9000 and 9700 where I could pound on it all day nonstop and never go below 50%. I really dont want to go back to fussing with BIS, but maybe that plus a cheap used 8 gig ipod touch off ebay for the apps and such on a separate battery will suit me better until we see what the 4th gen iphone/ipod touch bring.

If they dont do something about the battery, and the rumored multi-tasking on 4.0 and whatever other upgrades they put in, theyre going to be in for a hurting. The upgraded hardware on the 3GS on the same battery is barely acceptable to a lot of users.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-14-10 at 10:17 PM.
    03-14-10 10:02 PM
    I currently use an iPhone as my personal phone and a blackberry for work. I love what the iPhone is capable of doing but I honestly have to say that the battery issue on this iPhone is absolutely rideculous. I am not a heavy user when it comes to my iPhone because I am on my blackberry all day. My iPhone usage consists of maybe 20 min on the phone about 15-20 texts and then I use it for about 45 min to listen to music while I am at the gym. After about 2 weeks of having it I took it to the apple store because I was convinced I had a bad battery seeing that it would die around 5 pm everyday. The cs at apple explained to me that they have had slot of issues with bad batteries and swapped my phone out for me. I didn't notice a difference between my original one and my replacement. I dot have many apps on it and I don't use it for any games (don't have time, but would love to if the battery allowed it). After dealing with all of these issues for the past 6 months I am about to get rid of it and go back to a bb on Verizon. I really wish this issue had been better resolved by appe seeing that this phone truley is amazing, and the capabilities are endless. I hope that the 4 th gen iPhone has better luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 10:19 PM
    Im feeling the same right about now, a wait and see with the 4th gen or what Android+ATT have in store (other than the low tier Backflip) and just use a 9700 until then. Im not a big fan of BIS coming from full Exchange but if the battery easily lasts a day then thats the #1 priority. I dont think Ill stay BB, but at least its a good interim device that will get a whole day without shutting off email checking, 3G, location,or WIFI to make it.

I dont get it either, you saw my usage, its about what yours is and im getting low by 5-6pm too. I cant imagine how heavy cell users deal with it if were this light and cant get through 1 day other than being tethered to a charger at various points in a day. I think 1 day isnt too much to ask for, most people charge overnight.

I just got a good deal on a basically brand new 9700 on ebay for $300, and should easily be able to sell a good condition 32gig 3GS unlocked/jailbroken on on the old bootrom with 3 new cases (iskin, candyshell, and feather) and some other little accessories for $600-650.

Put the $300 difference, or half a high tier device, in the pot towards the 4G or Android device. As Ive said around here before, Im not any fanboy of any device, I use what comes along and works for me at the time (and I switch phones a lot, I think Ive kept the iphone at 9 months longer then any phone before.) This is my first Apple product or software ever so I really dont feel bad or guilty trading it in. Its not like I have a macbook, mobileme, etc etc where Im tied into the Apple ecosystem.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-14-10 at 10:59 PM.
    03-14-10 10:22 PM
    I've never owned an Iphone but I sure would love one since I am a big Apple product fan. I played with them quite a bit but never had one a whole day to myself. You guys say the battery doesn't last much? I have to say smartphones are disappointing nowadays. I've owned the pearl, curve, storm1 and Tour now and I think that the curve 8330 had the best battery out of all of them. The storm was pretty bad but BB doesn't have all the apps as you know. The tour is decent but I think that the high def screen on it drinks a lot of juice especially in apps like BerryBlad to read Crackberry's forums. You guys made me wonder of I ever would want to own a device with such a weak battery! Actually, if you think the Iphone is bad, try the Droid. After two days, I had to bring it back. Downloading a few apps (not heavy ones), google maps drains the thing, and around 2pm I had 10 percent and the funny thing is the way it dies, it just creeps on you slowly, it's kind of vicious! What we should do is write smartphone companies because when you see how far they have come with devices, from bars, to flip, to sliders, to sizes, to 3g, wifi, bluetooth, touchscreen, colorscreen, high def screen, slim and so on... but what about batteries???!!! They went from Ni-CAd (or whatever it was called) to lithium Ion but that's it! It's really upsetting!!! What do you think?
    03-14-10 10:51 PM
    The iphone is pretty comparable with the Droid from what Ive heard (never used Android personally). I agree though, there are so many great apps, but you start tinkering with one for 5 min and the battery drops 5%!

I 100% agree, it is disappointing that they keep cramming hardware into there phones but not touched the batteries in years. Lithium-ion has been out a good 10 years now with little advancements.

Its also disappointing that there are bigger batteries out there than the iphone's 1150mah that would fit nicely (like 1500) that would give it a lot more juice- 33% more almost! The 1500 pack in the BBs isnt exactly honking big or thick either, its fairly slim.

I would gladly give up 1-2mm thickness on the iphone for a 1500-1800mah battery, any day. Sleek and sexy design is great, but if you cant use all the great features of the phone and its on the charger, its not doing you much good as a mobile phone. Why have 100k+ apps when you use a few for a few min and your battery is down 25% when youre stuck out of the house all day.

Dont get me wrong the apps are GREAT, especially the legal apps in my own case. But by the time I search and skim a case or 2 on say Lexis or Fastcase apps, the battery is down 10%. I mine as well just have jumped on my laptop and done it on a 13" screen and a 7hr battery (with WIFI on) instead of kill my phone battery which is my communications lifeline away from the computer.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-14-10 at 11:10 PM.
    03-14-10 11:03 PM
    It will not get better. Every design has tradeoffs. That large screen, slick animations and independence from BIS have tradeoffs, one of them is battery life.

So you need to be realistic and decide what's really important to you in a device.
    03-15-10 01:08 AM
    I would usually agree with you on the tradeoff issue, however when it comes to the iphone I don't. The iphone was marketed as a device that was based on a mulit media device (apps, ipod, ect). How can you have a device that is marketed for animated apps and then have a battery that doesnt allow you to use them. I would think that apple would want to make there battery a focal point seeing that the iphone is a multi media device before a phone. As i said in my post above, the iphone is truely an amazing device, i just think that some of the priorites on the iphone were over looked.
    03-15-10 11:59 AM
    My friends used an iPhone and face the same issues as you. What she did was to buy a portable external charger. Perhaps you should get one too.
    03-15-10 12:29 PM
    I would usually agree with you on the tradeoff issue, however when it comes to the iphone I don't. The iphone was marketed as a device that was based on a mulit media device (apps, ipod, ect). How can you have a device that is marketed for animated apps and then have a battery that doesnt allow you to use them. I would think that apple would want to make there battery a focal point seeing that the iphone is a multi media device before a phone. As i said in my post above, the iphone is truely an amazing device, i just think that some of the priorites on the iphone were over looked.
    I agree, a tradeoff is fine, but this is marketed as a media, app, and internet device first and foremost. But it doesnt have the battery life to support that. I mean everyone says its a gaming device, play a basic game like a Need for Speed, the Sims, Assisin's Creed, etc and your phone will be low battery in 3 hours tops. Then what do you do about a cell phone and email for the rest of the day? Or use Safari or other app that uses data and you can see the battery drain down it goes so fast its scary. Its supposed to be an internet and app/media device first and foremost though, thats what its marketed towards.

I also agree its an amazing phone and does so much, especially jailbroken, but if it doesnt get the job done over one day then isnt it ultimately useless in the end to own?

I get the ipod touch as an add-on to a cell phone, it makes sense it has its own battery and when its dead its dead, no biggy you still have your cell to make calls, texts, and emails. But as a combined device, it NEEDS better battery life to make it an effective smartphone AND media AND app AND internet device.

My friends used an iPhone and face the same issues as you. What she did was to buy a portable external charger. Perhaps you should get one too.
    I do have one as I said, but then thats another thing to worry about charging, and checking how much charge is left on that etc. Just another burden. Plus it adds about 3 inches to the bottom of the phone, not exactly pocketable charging without setting it out on a table.

Its just a hassle having to charge midday to get through, you have to sit there and wait for it to charge up to start using it again. In the end it ends up being counter-productive to a work day.

Take today for instance, its 130pm or so and took the phone off the charger right around 8am. Already down to 84%, sounds good, but havent done a thing with the phone other than check half a dozen emails and delete them. Other than that the phone has been in my pocket in standby. Have full bars og 3G signal all day too where I am. Today is a light day, but if I used the thing at all (calls or Safari/apps) Id be in the 60% range right now. Thats horrible for 5.5 hours with checking a few email and a little app/surfing use.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-15-10 at 12:46 PM.
    03-15-10 12:37 PM
    Well, this was the main reason I didn't keep my 3GS, the battery life. I couldn't justify keeping the device with everything turned off. I didn't see the point of turning off everything that made me want the phone in the first place. I returned it.
    I'm waiting to see the 4G. I'm at about 55% that I will buy it.
    03-15-10 12:42 PM
    Ive tired that too, turn off 3G which does increase battery life quite a bit; but then I said to myself "why am I keeping this $699 phone to be an EDGE device and not use 3G?"

Same with the brightness, has a GREAT display, but you have to dim at 25% or below brightness to help the battery. Same with location services, so you have to leave it off and remember when you go to use Google Maps/Nav app to go into settings and turn it back on then off again?

It just seems like ridiculous procedures and convenience sacrifices (convenience is why we buy smartphones to begin with, right?) to cure Apple's problem with the battery life.

Ill be watching the 4G closely too to see if Apple does anything with the battery besides up the specs and resolution, but also going to see what Android has to offer. That Desire (I believe it was) looked pretty nice, although who knows what that battery life will be with a huge display and Snapdragon.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-15-10 at 12:51 PM.
    03-15-10 12:47 PM
    OMG....I can't believe this....you and I are *agreeing* on something!!!
    Yes, the display is the most gorgeous I've ever seen, it's the most gorgeous device ever, with the most amazing browser ever. But I just couldn't keep it if it meant turning everything off.
    I'm hoping the 4G will be better.
    03-15-10 12:51 PM
    Definitely, its still in the top 3 smartphones out there.

But after a while its hard to keep justifying owning something so expensive (without insurance mind you) that doesnt last 1 single day. I charge my phone every night so Im not asking for miracles here like others who ask why it doesnt last 3 days and crazy stuff; just 1 full day.

Im also not digging the direction Apple is going with blocking jailbreaking. Without jailbreaking I can say 100% I wouldnt own this phone because its too limited without all the Cydia tweaks. They 100% released 3.1.3 to block jailbreakers, and the devs are just giving in because the new phone will be out soon. The cat and mouse game is just getting old. While Apple has a duty to its shareholders, they should be spending more time and resources in improving their phone and not attacking and alienating the jailbreak community, who are mostly the diehard users. Jailbreaking is NOT illegal afterall.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-15-10 at 12:56 PM.
    03-15-10 12:53 PM
    Does your overheat? Mine overheated *a lot*. One time I tried using GPS it REALLY got hot very quickly.
    03-15-10 12:56 PM
    Not so much no, but again I rarely use Navigon GPS because it just sucks the battery dead. Its back to the point Ive been making, the best apps out there but the battery just cant sustain using them. It kind of cancels each other out unfortunately.
    03-15-10 12:57 PM
    You'll see the same issues with Android devices, Palm Pre and don't bother expecting a change with iPhone OS 4.

The reason these devices appear to be groundbreaking is precisely because Apple, Google and Palm, collectively, put battery life concerns behind them. They haven't figure out anything that's actually new or groundbreaking. In the past, power efficiency was a top concern, but Apple cynically pushed devices that contained a desktop OS in them. They did very well, because people can't "see" power efficiency, but they see slick graphics like the ones on their desktop and laptop computers and think that somehow all of this is now possible on a mobile device.

It just isn't. I used to carry my G1 and Palm Pre to the local coffee shop with a wall charger in my pocket. How ridiculous is that? But I finally had to admit that these are just impractical devices.
    03-15-10 01:13 PM
    Stuaw11, you and i are definately on the same page. I am scared to use it sometimes because i am afraid that its going to die on me at any given moment.

I tried to use the GPS on a road trip one time (my car has NAV (thank god), just wanted to see how the GPS on the iphone worked), the drive was about 4 1/2 hours. About 2 1/2 hours into the drive i had 20% battery left. I am really glad i didnt soley rely on my iphone to get me there. If i had i would have been lost for hours.... I have come to the conclusion that the iphone is a great toy, but cant be relied upon.

As for the portable charger thingy, i am on the move constantly and am not going to be carrying one of those things around in my pocket.

I do understand that everyones needs will not always be met, but i dont understand why apple made such a horrible battery..
    03-15-10 01:13 PM
    An update, was at 84% last time I posted, played Final Fantasy- not exactly the most graphic intense game out there by far- and down to 65%. Almost a 20% drop in 30 min on a basically 2-D game!

How is this a gaming or app device if it wont last!

I agree JR, the fun wears off when youre afraid to use all the great apps because you wont make it even a work day of 8-9 hours doing anything with it.

Apple NEEDS to fix the battery and put a bigger one in! Sacrifice the 2mm and put in an 1800-2000mah battery. A portable charger in your pocket all day just isnt a practical answer to the problem.
    03-15-10 01:43 PM
    iPad battery can play video for 12 hours straight I believe and still be at a good percentage.
    Maybe they will incorporate something like that into the new iPhone. Battery wise
    03-15-10 01:53 PM
    Battery life is at 58%. I have made 2 phone calls aprox 7min of talk time. Checked Facebook, took about 4 min, and played a 2 D game for about 15 min.... That is a 1.61% battery loss per minute. its only 12:57 local time here. there is no way this phone is going to last through the day.
    03-15-10 01:56 PM
    Yeah battery life is a downfall. The other thing about this is that i think the meter is quite inaccurate, my macs have always been the same so im thinking it's an apple thing?
    03-15-10 01:57 PM
    But Apple also says the iphone should get 5 hours talk or web (9hrs on wifi) and 10 hours video playback. So somehow the video and audio playback times increased from the 3G but the phone/web times stayed the same? I also hardly doubt youd get 9 hours of safari or data-using apps on WIFI, that sounds way too high.

It sounds like they just guess a number to me without rhyme or reason. They went up 69mah between the 3G models, but down from 1400 on the original phone which was only 2G and sucked less power. It sounds bass ackwards to me.
    03-15-10 02:01 PM
    But Apple also says the iphone should get 5 hours talk or web (9hrs on wifi) and 10 hours video playback. So somehow the video and audio playback times increased from the 3G but the phone/web times stayed the same? I also hardly doubt youd get 9 hours of safari or data-using apps on WIFI, that sounds way too high.

It sounds like they just guess a number to me without rhyme or reason. They went up 69mah between the 3G models, but down from 1400 on the original phone which was only 2G and sucked less power. It sounds bass ackwards to me.
    HAHA. I would like to know what they were smoking when they came up with these numbers. There is no way in he** you can get 10 hours of video playback. anyone that says you can is just out of there mind, or a die hard apple fan that wont admit the truth about its battery. I couldnt get 10 hours out of this thing if i fully charged it and then unplugged it and sat it on my desk and didnt touch it all day, well maybe i would have a little battery left but not much.
    03-15-10 02:07 PM
81 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD