I really dont understand what the big deal with 3G is anyway. maybe Im missing something but Im sitting here at work right now with my iphone on tmobile edge and a coworkers iphone on at&t 3G and the difference in pages loading is so minuscule I dont understand why waste the battery on 3G? Are apps load the same. We e-mailed them both at the same time and they beeped and loaded the e-mail at exactly the same time. His loads youtube about 10 seconds faster. Anyway I understand where you guys are coming from. You pay for it and its a feature so why not, but I would keep 3G off cause it seems pointless to me unless you are tethering to a laptop.
    03-19-10 01:29 PM
    You wont notice a difference in email speed. Email speed wont change because its very small files unless there are big attachments.

He must not have very good 3G coverage on 3.2MB downlink there then because EDGE caps out at about 250-300k real world, and on the 3GS you can get 1.5-2.5MB on 7.2MB down ATT 3G. Theres a HUGE speed difference between 7.2 3G on ATT and EDGE on Tmo/ATT.

Again, its a promoted feature of the phone to have 3G speed access, not to have to turn it off as others have said.

So comparing the battery life on 2G/EDGE is about DOUBLE the life on 3G. Cut that time in half and I dont think youd be as happy.
    03-19-10 03:53 PM
    Maybe I'm alone here but I am very happy with my iphones battery life. I switched about 2 weeks ago from my BB 8900 to the iphone. This is my primary business phone. I think the problem is you are not using your iphone in the same way you used your BB. I decided to test it out and just use my iphone exactly how I used my BB for the past 2 days and here are my results.

wifi=on
    push notifications for 6 accounts=on
    bluetooth=on
    Brightness=50%
    Auto-Brightness=on
    3G=Off (Im jailbroken/unlocked with T-mobile) dont need it and edge works just as well in my area as 3G. My iphone loads pages faster on edge than any BB storm in my office.

As you can see I dont make a lot of phone calls for my business and when I do they are short to check messages or reschedule and appointment. I e-mail constantly, facebook, maps, comcast app, play music, and play pac man when I'm waiting on a client and my iphone lasted almost 3 days of normal business use. So for me the result is just as good as my BB with a much better browser and faster loading of everything. For me I am pleased. the fact is there is more to do with your iphone so you use it more than you ever used your BB.
    If you had a 3GS it would be a different story. My battery drains even while in standby mode with 3G on. It's horrible. I have to turn off 3G while I'm not using my phone or it won't even last a whole 24 hours for me.
    03-19-10 03:59 PM
    If you had a 3GS it would be a different story. My battery drains even while in standby mode with 3G on. It's horrible. I have to turn off 3G while I'm not using my phone or it won't even last a whole 24 hours for me.
    I think you might have meant to say if I had 3G service it would be a different story, right? Because I do have a 3GS. If Im not badly mistaken you even helped me shop for it a few weeks ago. Like I said I understand that its a promoted feature of the phone to have 3G speed access but if its more than double killing your guys battery life and I had the choice of faster speed or my battery lasting 3 days. I would pick my battery. Seems there should be and app out there or maybe something built into the next OS update that shuts 3G and wifi down until you need it and then it kicks in. Like a standby or sleep feature that would kick on automatically just in times of need. Just a thought. I'll still be stuck on edge regardless but if I had 3g service I would probably be unhappy with battery life.
    03-19-10 04:32 PM
    I think you might have meant to say if I had 3G service it would be a different story, right? Because I do have a 3GS. If Im not badly mistaken you even helped me shop for it a few weeks ago. Like I said I understand that its a promoted feature of the phone to have 3G speed access but if its more than double killing your guys battery life and I had the choice of faster speed or my battery lasting 3 days. I would pick my battery. Seems there should be and app out there or maybe something built into the next OS update that shuts 3G and wifi down until you need it and then it kicks in. Like a standby or sleep feature that would kick on automatically just in times of need. Just a thought. I'll still be stuck on edge regardless but if I had 3g service I would probably be unhappy with battery life.
    Oh, yeah, I'm sorry, forgot that you had a 3GS.. I'm used to seeing a 3G symbol on 3GS's. :P

And yes, 3G really does kill the 3GS. It's horrible. I left my iPhone on standby for a few hours and lost about 10-15% of my battery... I even turn on Airplane mode when I'm in school because my battery lasts so much longer.
    03-19-10 05:04 PM
    Seems there should be and app out there or maybe something built into the next OS update that shuts 3G and wifi down until you need it and then it kicks in. Like a standby or sleep feature that would kick on automatically just in times of need.
    I agree, if they cant fix the battery issue at least do something like this that when the phone is in "sleep" to knock it down to 2G to save battery.

But turning off a standard feature on a phone now like 3G is ridiculous when its a $600+ phone.
    03-19-10 05:50 PM
81 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD