Right now im using a 9700.

I was thinking just get an ipod touch or ipad to use for apps, Safari, and a media device, but I think Ill wait out the 3 months and see what the 4th iphone is first instead of running out to buy something now.

Im not a big mobile music/video/youtube/web surfing person so I think Ill get by for a bit
    03-17-10 12:42 PM
    Right now im using a 9700.

I was thinking just get an ipod touch or ipad to use for apps, Safari, and a media device, but I think Ill wait out the 3 months and see what the 4th iphone is first instead of running out to buy something now.

Im not a big mobile music/video/youtube/web surfing person so I think Ill get by for a bit
    I agree with everything you posted here.
    03-17-10 02:11 PM
    Incredibly enough, he claims to achieve this by overclocking. The way I understand it, the Droid CPU uses regenerative power so spare cycles recharge its own battery.
    That's interesting! What does he use to overclock it?
    03-17-10 02:18 PM
    That's interesting! What does he use to overclock it?
    Once you root your Droid you become a power user. You don't have to do anything, just let it ripple through the system and the CPU frequency picks up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-10 03:06 PM
    It's funny to me when I hear all the complaints about the battery life. I use my iPhone just as much if not more then I used my Curve 8310, and I do far more as far as browsing and listening to music and I have never had to plug my iPhone in during the day. Now is it the same as my Curve was where I could go almost 2 full days without a charge, no it's not, but then again it is far more powerful then my curve was and can do many more things so the trade off is really not that big of a deal to me. One thing that I have found is that if I am going to be talking on my iPhone for long amounts of time is to turn off the 3G as I have found this can greatly improve the battery life and I really do not notice any difference in the call quality.
    03-17-10 03:15 PM
    I have two exchange accounts and 6 other email accounts hooked up. I'm constantly sending SMS and tweeting using two different clients (one mainly for push & the other send/read tweets). 12 apps using push notifications, 5 of which are constantly pushing. Just counted and it's actually 7 of them. Brightness is at 50% (will be lowering), jailbroken with biteSMS running. I also use Tapatalk to go on forums constantly throughout the day and have recently been playing street fighter iv for about 10-15 minutes.

With all that, I won't get to 10% warning for at least 9-10 hours.

I'm not even counting me using bluetooth when I go to the gym to listen through the headset I have.

I used to get pissed off at how my 9700 can last me more than 2 days on usage, but then I realized how much the phone actually does. How big the screen actually is, needing more battery power to light it up. It's also a touchscreen. Physical keyboards use less battery power. Try going with a Nexus One and you'll see what I mean about battery life.

With that said, I do hope that the next gen iPhone can give me at least 1/4 more battery life on one full charge.
    9630 is a qwerty Blackberry and the battery won't last any longer than the iPhone.

03-17-10 03:17 PM
    Battery life has always been my biggest concern with my 3GS..

My S2 runs laps around my Droid, and 3GS when comparing battery life.

Probably with the S2 is it does not do half what the Droid or 3GS does.

With all this being said, I really hope Apple does something about the battery life.. it would make the iPhone my daily driver again.
    03-17-10 05:53 PM
    I really hope Apple does something about the battery life.. it would make the iPhone my daily driver again.
    That's like hoping the Hummer will have the same fuel economy as the Prius

03-17-10 06:40 PM
    Battery life has always been my biggest concern with my 3GS..

My S2 runs laps around my Droid, and 3GS when comparing battery life.

Probably with the S2 is it does not do half what the Droid or 3GS does.

With all this being said, I really hope Apple does something about the battery life.. it would make the iPhone my daily driver again.
    I doubt Apple will ever get their battery anywhere near a Blackberry's.
    03-17-10 07:25 PM
    That's like hoping the Hummer will have the same fuel economy as the Prius

Its not about making a Hummer get the mileage of a Pruis, but at least like a Civic!

Somewhere in between would be nice.
    03-17-10 07:31 PM
    Disclosure: I use a 9700 and a 3GS (in that order). About 80% BB and 20% iphone.

I hate going back and forth cause my phone is both business and personal (about 75% business) and my contacts and appointments have to be up to date. So whenever I get the itch to swap phones, I have to get myself to my office and sync, even if it's weekend. Anyhow..... These are MY issues and are irrelevant to anyone else.
    Here's what IS relevant though........
    Point #1). I like the iphone more than the BB. It's sleek, avant-garde and fun to use. There's an app for every occasion and an occasion for every app.
    Point #2) All the above praise is irrelevant and I end up leaving home with my bb because I don't have to do major planning to leave home!!!!!! As in-- do I have a car charger in the vehicle I'm taking today? Do I have an extra house charger cause I may be out later than usual? Do I have a razr or a random Nokia stuffed in a glove compartment somewhere cause I may just end up stranded for power?

All that is ridiculous and shamefull and unacceptable from such an expensive phone (that I happen to LOVE so don't start bashing).

It seems to me apple knows they have a cult-like following and they take advantage of it. They think their customers are mindless junkie addicts who'll put up with all this sh!t "cause it's an APPLE!!!"-- who cares!?!?

The 9700 is SUCH a no excuses machine so I more often than not-- leave home with it. I end up leaving my apple at home sim-less and I play with it at night in the house where I don't have to worry bout it dying.

All this to say what?

It's astounding to me how a manufacturer can look it's customer in the face.... Brag about all the goodies and features on their phone....then tell that same customer to tune down or turn off 90% of the goodies and features they were bragging about 2 minutes ago, to get through the day.
    Do they think we're a bunch of *******???????

I stated above that I LOVE the iphone, so if you're gonna tell me how great it is and bla bla bla..... Save it!! I agree with you. We're on the same page. Just that apple better get their act together for. Iphone 4G. Their excuses are getting stale!

03-18-10 05:29 AM
    Well let's be real, any device that is grapically pushing is simply going to use a lot of power. I easily make it through the day with my phone with normal usage, it only dies when you start doing a lot, like surfing the web, YouTube, Pandora all via 3G (wifi is much better on the battery) and numerous phone calls, or gaming for hours on end.

I often purposely put my 3GS on 2G when the battery starts to dwindle beyond 40% and it takes a huge load off the phone (seriously, try it). I owned a 9000/9530 and I will tell you right now it was only marginally better than my 3GS in terms of battery life.

It's the sacrifice you make unfortunately for a powerful device. The lack of swappable batteries suck but you can't be on it all day and not expect it to die.

While they can only program so much to make battery life more effecient, the hardware is the main factor. More energy effecient chips, and better batteries will be the way to solve the problems
    03-18-10 02:14 PM
    Well let's be real, any device that is grapically pushing is simply going to use a lot of power. I easily make it through the day with my phone with normal usage, it only dies when you start doing a lot, like surfing the web, YouTube, Pandora all via 3G (wifi is much better on the battery) and numerous phone calls, or gaming for hours on end.
    I agree with the "lets be real" part. Indeed, people just need to understand that everything the device is doing consumes power. A large screen and graphics effects all consume power, it's not free.

So you have to ask, is this what I want to waste the battery on? Yes, it's very slick looking and playful and fun. But then it dies before you can use Pandora. So you wasted the battery on playing with the UI, and then you wanted to browse the web but you couldn't because the battery is dead.

What's important to you? Do you must have the gorgeous UI at all costs? Then don't complain, carry a charger with you or ration your use.

I often purposely put my 3GS on 2G when the battery starts to dwindle beyond 40% and it takes a huge load off the phone (seriously, try it). I owned a 9000/9530 and I will tell you right now it was only marginally better than my 3GS in terms of battery life.
    I haven't owned a 9000, I own a 9700. I can tell you that I can pass a weekend of listening to podcasts, surfing the web, playing Pandora, I mean literally all day, and not have to charge it before Monday. Paradoxically, the boring looking device ends up being far more entertaining, because it spends its energy on stuff that matters.

It's the sacrifice you make unfortunately for a powerful device. The lack of swappable batteries suck but you can't be on it all day and not expect it to die.

While they can only program so much to make battery life more effecient, the hardware is the main factor. More energy effecient chips, and better batteries will be the way to solve the problems
    It will not get better. Or rather, as soon as it gets better, performance requirements will only increase in the never ending pursuit of more eye candy to stave off the competition and get the devices in the hands of consumers. At least RIM gives you an alternative, for now.
    03-18-10 02:38 PM
    When I owned a 3GS, I thought that the battery life was average. I have had a Palm Pre and HTC Hero since and the iphone was better on battery life than both. When I owned a 9700, I could go about 2 and a half days on one charge. For such a full-featured touchscreen smartphone, I think the battery life is ok. Of course, any device could get better in that department, but I don't think that the iphone is that bad.
    03-18-10 03:06 PM
    I agree with the "lets be real" part. Indeed, people just need to understand that everything the device is doing consumes power. A large screen and graphics effects all consume power, it's not free.

So you have to ask, is this what I want to waste the battery on? Yes, it's very slick looking and playful and fun. But then it dies before you can use Pandora. So you wasted the battery on playing with the UI, and then you wanted to browse the web but you couldn't because the battery is dead.

What's important to you? Do you must have the gorgeous UI at all costs? Then don't complain, carry a charger with you or ration your use.
    You can slide through the UI all day, and I gurantee you can easily go 24+ hours if you don't have the brightness cranked up.

I'm not complaining, I have a car charger and 2 chargers at home. When I had my Bold I had the same and THEN a spare battery which I used probably once a week. Just like the Bold is the cream of the crop, it used more power and I accepted that, because I want a powerful device, not something that's gonna spin it's clock at me constantly.

I haven't owned a 9000, I own a 9700. I can tell you that I can pass a weekend of listening to podcasts, surfing the web, playing Pandora, I mean literally all day, and not have to charge it before Monday. Paradoxically, the boring looking device ends up being far more entertaining, because it spends its energy on stuff that matters.
    I can tell you as a previous bold 9000 user, I got roughly 9 hours (fell asleep with it on, phone had died) of music playback on one charge via 3G on Pandora doing nothing else. I haven't used Pandora that much on my 3GS but in one hour it shaved a little over 11% so I'd say it's comparable.

I must say you have a magical battery, because no BB other than my 8900 which is 2G I had, could make it beyond 30 hours without dying from normal use (calls, emails, texts, light data usage, media playback)

It will not get better. Or rather, as soon as it gets better, performance requirements will only increase in the never ending pursuit of more eye candy to stave off the competition and get the devices in the hands of consumers. At least RIM gives you an alternative, for now.
    Nope, technology is pushing forward to provide MORE POWER with LESS ENERGY. If people were living and dying by the battery, laptops would be useless and every platform other than the BB would already be dead, but yet it's the exact opposite
    03-18-10 03:29 PM
    Technology may be pushing forward to provide more power with less energy, but batteries on cell phones havent progressed much at all in the last 5+ years. Were still using the same lithium ion technology that I remember having on the Sprint LG Fusic back about 5 years ago. Lithium Ion has been out since Sony released the first one in 1991!! Youre talking almost 20 years now on the same battery tech.

You can only scale down the phone processes so far in the end, its finite. Theres only so much you can do with an 1150mah battery in a phone that keeps getting faster CPUs and graphics chips. The only logical solution until batteries progress as far as the other tech has its to PUT A BIGGER BATTERY IN. They do exist, a 1500mah battery could easily fit in the iphone, but of course thatd cost Apple another $.50 and for some reason thats too much.

And its not like Apple is the only guilty one. Even long time manufactures like HTC are guilty of the same thing, putting a battery too small for the work the phone does in it to save a buck or 2 a unit.

I agree with synthmole though, whats the point of having a flashy UI, tons of apps, and a great web browser if you cant utilize them? I mean you cant for a bit and then the battery is dead. You can tout apps all day, but if you dont use them because youre too worried about the battery beyond phone calls, texts, and email, then there's a problem with the ecosystem mentality. Again , the answer is a bigger battery if you want to keep cramming more power in the phone. you simply cant use the same battery with better spec equipment and expect people to be happy with the battery life on the new model.

I can say though as an update, its right about 730pm and the 9700 came off the charger about 9am and Ive been cranking on it all day and the battery meter is at 90%!!! A few BBM convos, received about 20 emails, sent out about 5, and used the browser for about 5-10 min total.

At this point in the day with the iphone Id easily be around 50% left, so theres a HUGE difference between the way RIM does their data which saves battery. Sure the screen is half the size, but at least they were wise enough to put a 1500mah battery in.

So I definitely believe you could go 2 full days of average use on the 9700, I have little doubt to the truth in that.

And I agree with tedzone too, I'm more than relieved to not have to plan my day around charging a phone. Do i need to carry a car charger? Wall charger? battery pack? Do I have to find a plug halfway through the day when Im out? It IS "ridiculous and shamefull and unacceptable from such an expensive phone." The thing costs $200 MORE than the 9700 which is one of most (if not the most) expensive BBs out at retail price!!! The excuses by Apple are wearing thin this far in the game, turning off 90% of the phones function is NOT the answer to tell a consumer. Oh by the way you have to shut off that fast 3G and use EDGE, or leave your wifi, bluetooth, and push email off, your phone has it but better to just not use it. I mean give me a break!

Again ill say it, so I dont get jumped on by the hardcore Apple fanboys, but the iphone is a great device! 100% no doubt its one of the best phones experience wise Ive used. But if Apple wants to be taken seriously in the consumer and business world past the teenie boppers they need to step it up and make a USABLE device that will last one work day.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-18-10 at 06:38 PM.
    03-18-10 06:26 PM
    Just today I pumped out over 100+ text with about roughly 10 emails and the tons of notifications from FB and email, and 2 calls, and can still manage to get a full work day out of it, and that's staying on 3G all day and made it from 8 till 6ish when I got home with 42% battery left. I purposely didn't use the car charger today either just to see.

I really don't have these severe battery issues most people have, but I also don't mindlessly surf Safari for hours on end on 3G with the brightness cranked and watch the phone croak in 5 hours (my gf does this), or do that with Pandora streaming using backgrounder and wonder why their phone is dead in 3 hours.

Still if you had a bad experience that sucks I'm sorry but I've taken steps to maximize my battery life, and I guess I should thank RIM caused they definitely taught me to with the Storm and Bold lol.
    03-18-10 07:11 PM
    Yeah but guys....... I never have to turn my brightness down, or BT off, or 3G off, or watch how much I surf, or anything else to get through the day... Or even TWO, on my 9700. Believe me, I wish it was the case with the iphone. I'd much rather use it than my 9700.
    And while we're on that..... Can anyone tell me what BT they have the least trouble with or performs best with the iphone? Thx.

03-18-10 08:38 PM
    Yeah but guys....... I never have to turn my brightness down, or BT off, or 3G off, or watch how much I surf, or anything else to get through the day... Or even TWO, on my 9700. Believe me, I wish it was the case with the iphone. I'd much rather use it than my 9700.
    And while we're on that..... Can anyone tell me what BT they have the least trouble with or performs best with the iphone? Thx.

Surfing isn't the same... iPhone has a bigger & brighter screen and renders pages like your PC. The 9700 does not.

Same with apps & everything else on the device.

Therefore, it's not a "Apple" thing. The Storm never lasted a day on EDGE for me. My Pre never lasts a day on medium usage (no CALLS).
    03-18-10 08:45 PM
    Surfing isn't the same... iPhone has a bigger & brighter screen and renders pages like your PC. The 9700 does not.

Same with apps & everything else on the device.

Therefore, it's not a "Apple" thing. The Storm never lasted a day on EDGE for me. My Pre never lasts a day on medium usage (no CALLS).
    Is the pre still extremely bad after the 1.4 update, or does it last a bit longer now?
    03-18-10 10:23 PM
    Therefore, it's not a "Apple" thing.
    Oh no, it was just the iphone in this instance, but all these "black slab" devices are similar in poor battery life. Its just amazing how long a BB can last.

I just FINALLY hit 70% now at 12:15am from yesterday at 9am (15 hours on now). A ton of BBM, 30 or so email in, 5 out, 20 min of web surfing, 5 min on facebook app, downloaded 4 podcasts with podtrapper.

Pretty impressive all for 30% of the battery and being on 15 hours.
    03-18-10 11:13 PM
    I really did wish that I'd had the option to replace my own battery on the 3GS. I would have kept it.
    As far as not surfing so much, well...the phone was advertised with a heavy emphasis on rendering the same experience as on a PC. So you can't use a feature to hook someone into the sale and then expect that consumer to walk away from the feature that was the most celebrated selling point. Not reasonable.
    At least not for me.
    This discussion reminds me of everything I said about my experience with the device. Interesting to hear it this way.
    03-19-10 06:08 AM
    Maybe I'm alone here but I am very happy with my iphones battery life. I switched about 2 weeks ago from my BB 8900 to the iphone. This is my primary business phone. I think the problem is you are not using your iphone in the same way you used your BB. I decided to test it out and just use my iphone exactly how I used my BB for the past 2 days and here are my results.

wifi=on
    push notifications for 6 accounts=on
    bluetooth=on
    Brightness=50%
    Auto-Brightness=on
    3G=Off (Im jailbroken/unlocked with T-mobile) dont need it and edge works just as well in my area as 3G. My iphone loads pages faster on edge than any BB storm in my office.

As you can see I dont make a lot of phone calls for my business and when I do they are short to check messages or reschedule and appointment. I e-mail constantly, facebook, maps, comcast app, play music, and play pac man when I'm waiting on a client and my iphone lasted almost 3 days of normal business use. So for me the result is just as good as my BB with a much better browser and faster loading of everything. For me I am pleased. the fact is there is more to do with your iphone so you use it more than you ever used your BB.
    03-19-10 06:18 AM
    Maybe I'm alone here but I am very happy with my iphones battery life. I switched about 2 weeks ago from my BB 8900 to the iphone. This is my primary business phone. I think the problem is you are not using your iphone in the same way you used your BB. I decided to test it out and just use my iphone exactly how I used my BB for the past 2 days and here are my results.

wifi=on
    push notifications for 6 accounts=on
    bluetooth=on
    Brightness=50%
    Auto-Brightness=on
    3G=Off (Im jailbroken/unlocked with T-mobile) dont need it and edge works just as well in my area as 3G. My iphone loads pages faster on edge than any BB storm in my office.

As you can see I dont make a lot of phone calls for my business and when I do they are short to check messages or reschedule and appointment. I e-mail constantly, facebook, maps, comcast app, play music, and play pac man when I'm waiting on a client and my iphone lasted almost 3 days of normal business use. So for me the result is just as good as my BB with a much better browser and faster loading of everything. For me I am pleased. the fact is there is more to do with your iphone so you use it more than you ever used your BB.
    If your using Edge it's not remotely the same as using 3g. 3g is a known to use more battery life. I mean it's even point out on the APPLE SITE.

sidenote I don't own an iphone, but sheash...
    03-19-10 11:21 AM
    Besides, it's the same issue. Turning off a feature that was highlighted extensively.

I'm hoping that the 4G has this resolved. I'm really interested in it. We'll see.
    03-19-10 11:25 AM
81 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD