No battery issues here. I am a moderate to heavy user...heavy web browsing, moderate emailing, light phone calling and moderate everything else (apps, games, iPod, etc). I am lucky if if I get the 20% low battery indicator after 12-13 hours of use, which is usually 7:30am-8:30pm. If I know I am going to be out late or something, I may give it a little extra charge late in the day just in case. Being that the battery is at 20% (or sometimes a little lower) at the 7:00-8:00pm range, that is more than enough juice for a moderate late night. Now, when I hopefully start my own business in the near future, I will be making more calls and doing more emailing, so not sure if a full charge will get me through the day. We shall see.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-10 02:12 PM
    That was my biggest problem with the iphone. The phone was great and fun to use. But i always had to think of the battery. i hated that felling takes away all the fun. Also i noticed the battery would run out faster when my phone was eating up. Honestly some times i would get home around 5pm and i was down to 30%. The problem with me is that I use my device for work and personal (i hate having 2 devices on me) I can't be without a phone since allot of my work is by email or messenger. This is the reason I came to BB. Battery life, emails,calls and messenger are the most important thing to me in a device and the 97 could go 1 and half day with hard usage.
    I do hope the new Iphone improves on battery, It's a great device and I think one thing that is pushing people away is the battery.
    03-15-10 02:16 PM
    OK, y'all are mentioning the very same things I mentioned when I said that the device simply did not work for me and so I returned it. Someone mentioned to me too that I should get a battery booster and carry that along with me.

See you guys - I'm not an iPhone *hater* as I have been labeled - I just expect the device to be there for me if I need it. All the apps in the world, however cool or useful or fun, are useless if the phone dies. And I could barely get a day out of mine - God forbid that I should actually have to talk on it. And it is not reasonable to expect people to have continuous access to a power source. That's why it's called a mobile phone - you use it in different settings.

stuaw11 - do you understand me now?!?!?!?
    03-15-10 02:26 PM
    HAHA. I would like to know what they were smoking when they came up with these numbers. There is no way in he** you can get 10 hours of video playback. anyone that says you can is just out of there mind, or a die hard apple fan that wont admit the truth about its battery. I couldnt get 10 hours out of this thing if i fully charged it and then unplugged it and sat it on my desk and didnt touch it all day, well maybe i would have a little battery left but not much.
    OK - that's the thing. The information I read was that you could get "up to" five (or four, I don't remember) hours of talk time. So, when I called Apple and I explained to them the problems I was having, they said that I was getting the battery life that was advertised because it was not promised that you could get that time. Just that you could get *up to* that time.

Trust me - I tried. I turned off everything. Then I just went back to my 9000 (at the time, this was July '09) and returned the iPhone.

I don't see how the device could be someone's primary device and used all day and get a day out of it. I just couldn't.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 03-15-10 at 02:41 PM.
    03-15-10 02:32 PM
    OK, and that's my second problem with this battery issue. The 9000 I had at the time didn't have great battery life either, but I could (and did, and still do) carry a spare. Which fits in my wallet pocket.
    03-15-10 02:54 PM
    Update- so now 645pm, checked 6 emails, 2 one min voicemails, and made a 28 min phone call. Now down to 48%.

I mean Ive had MINIMAL use today too. 30 min of a 2D game, read about 20 emails and deleted them, checked 2 one min voicemails, and a 28 min phone call and its been off the charger almost 11 hours total, but barely any usage. Id say thats pretty light in terms of general usage. I cant imagine what a normal person or a heavy user goes through, my buddy is always charging his midday.

Thats not very good if you translate it to talk/data time of supposedly 5 hours actual usage and however many days of standby. Imagine if I actually wanted to do stuff with my phone (and not too afraid to use it for sake of killing the battery), itd be at 25% now.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-15-10 at 06:08 PM.
    03-15-10 05:51 PM
    Just for a laugh, from Apple.com towards what I was referring to earlier

Optimize Your Settings

Depending on how they are configured, a few features may decrease your iPhone battery life. For example, the frequency with which you retrieve email and the number of email accounts you auto-check can both affect battery life. The tips below apply to an iPhone running iPhone 3.0 or later software and may help extend your battery life.

* Minimize use of location services: Applications that actively use location services such as Maps may reduce battery life. To disable location services, go to Settings > General > Location Services or use location services only when needed.
    * Turn off push notifications: Some applications from the App Store use the Apple Push Notification Service to alert you of new data. Those applications that extensively rely on push notifications (such as instant messaging applications) may impact battery life. To disable push notifications, go to Settings > Notifications and set Notifications to Off. Note that this does not prevent new data from being received when the application is opened. Also, the Notifications setting will not be visible if you do not have any applications installed that support push notifications.
    * Fetch new data less frequently: Applications such as Mail can be set to fetch data wirelessly at specific intervals. The more frequently email or other data is fetched, the quicker your battery may drain. To fetch new data manually, from the Home screen choose Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and tap Manually. To increase the fetch interval, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and tap Hourly. Note that this is a global setting and applies to all applications that do not support push services.
    * Turn off push mail: If you have a push mail account such as Yahoo!, MobileMe or Microsoft Exchange, turn off push when you don’t need it. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and set Push to Off. Messages sent to your push email accounts will now be received on your phone based on the global Fetch setting rather than as they arrive. If the global Fetch setting is set to Manually, you will not be able to locate your iPhone using the MobileMe Find My iPhone feature.
    * Auto-check fewer email accounts: You can save power by checking fewer email accounts. This can be accomplished by turning off an email account or by deleting it. To turn off an account, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, choose an email account, and set Account to Off. To remove an account, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, choose an email account, and tap Delete Account.
    * Minimize use of third-party applications: Excessive use of applications such as games that prevent the screen from dimming or shutting off or applications that use location services can reduce battery life.
    * Turn off Wi-Fi: If you rarely use Wi-Fi, you can turn it off to save power. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and set Wi-Fi to Off. Note that if you frequently use your iPhone to browse the web, battery life may be improved by using Wi-Fi instead of cellular data networks.
    * Turn off Bluetooth: If you rarely use a Bluetooth headset or car kit, you can turn off Bluetooth to save power. Go to Settings > General > Bluetooth and set Bluetooth to Off.
    * Use Airplane Mode in low- or no-coverage areas: Because your iPhone always tries to maintain a connection with the cellular network, it may use more power in low- or no-coverage areas. Turning on Airplane Mode can increase battery life in these situations; however, you will be unable to make or receive calls. To turn on Airplane Mode, go to Settings and set Airplane Mode to On.
    * Adjust brightness: Dimming the screen is another way to extend battery life. Go to Settings > Brightness and drag the slider to the left to lower the default screen brightness. In addition, turning on Auto-Brightness allows the screen to adjust its brightness based on current lighting conditions. Go to Settings > Brightness and set Auto-Brightness to On.
    * Turn off EQ: Applying an equalizer setting to song playback on your iPhone can decrease battery life. To turn EQ off, go to Settings > iPod > EQ and tap Off. Note that if you’ve added EQ to songs directly in iTunes, you’ll need to set EQ on iPhone to Flat in order to have the same effect as Off because iPhone keeps your iTunes settings intact. Go to Settings > iPod > EQ and tap Flat.
    * Turn off 3G: Using 3G cellular networks loads data faster, but may also decrease battery life, especially in areas with limited 3G coverage. To disable 3G, from the Home screen choose Settings > General > Network and set Enable 3G to Off. You will still be able to make and receive calls and access cellular data networks via EDGE or GPRS where available.
    So theyre answer on the iphone battery page is to turn everything off? 3G, notifications, dont check email, dont use wifi or bluetooth, brightness to the lowest level. AKA a brick.

I mean I like my first Apple product, but cmon Apple. This wouldnt be an issue if you just put a bigger battery in- simple fix.

Like I said, Im sure an ipod touch and a dedicated smartphone is a great combo, you have that whole touch battery to browse, use apps, etc and wont kill your main phone. when it low on batteries no big deal, but as a phone it has to be even that much better on battery to do both tasks
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-15-10 at 06:04 PM.
    03-15-10 05:53 PM
    If it weren't for the low res screen and crappy battery, I'd be an iPhone user. Instead I carry a Tour and a Droid.
    03-15-10 06:24 PM
    Agree... making the battery user-replaceable would help alleviate some concerns.
    03-15-10 07:03 PM
    Totally agree, then the battery could be the same if you could swap it out. A tiny 1-2mm thick battery is a lot easier to pocket then a charger or battery pack (and have nothing hanging off your phone).

I think Apple could do it, their hardware is pretty good from what Ive seen. Im sure they could figure out a good way to do it.

But I think the problem is twofold:

1) Apple wants to charge people $90 to replace it in their stores, more $$$ for them.

2) They dont want people making cheap knockoff batteries and then people blame Apple for the phone toasting. Apple does strive for consumer satisfaction considering the iphone constantly gets high ratings.

So in the end, although they probably could do it easily, I dont see them doing it anytime soon.
    03-15-10 07:07 PM
    I used to have an iPhone 3G and really liked it but the battery life wasn't really the reason I returned it, more so AT&T itself at the time. The battery was bad but then again, I'm always around a computer or a wall charger so it's not a deal breaker.

I thought the Droid would have battery issues when I bought it but to my surprise, it lasts me a whole day with 90% left when I get back from school which consists of just listening to music for an hour, browsing the web for 30 minutes, and maybe a couple of texts. The battery life isn't bad on it and then again, it's user replaceable - something Apple should take into consideration with their next phone so that people who are out all day everyday with iPhones can carry a spare (slim & small) battery as opposed to a charger.
    I'm wondering if you're honest here about the battery life. I have a BB Tour and had the Droid for 3 weeks and the main reason why I brought it back was the battery. I couldn't hardly have it on all day. I went out of town once. Left at 8 am and by like 2 pm or a little before, completely dead. Now I look at three emails, looked around the market for half an hour, browser for 15 minutes, and google maps navigation for 20 minutes. You call that a long lasting battery? I mean the Storm1 lasted longer than that! Pathetic! After three weeks, I was done. If you have to carry a power station around for your mobile device, then how portable is it?
    03-16-10 12:03 AM
    Totally agree, then the battery could be the same if you could swap it out. A tiny 1-2mm thick battery is a lot easier to pocket then a charger or battery pack (and have nothing hanging off your phone).

I think Apple could do it, their hardware is pretty good from what Ive seen. Im sure they could figure out a good way to do it.

But I think the problem is twofold:

1) Apple wants to charge people $90 to replace it in their stores, more $$$ for them.

2) They dont want people making cheap knockoff batteries and then people blame Apple for the phone toasting. Apple does strive for consumer satisfaction considering the iphone constantly gets high ratings.

So in the end, although they probably could do it easily, I dont see them doing it anytime soon.
    That's it.
    03-16-10 12:11 AM
    I'm wondering if you're honest here about the battery life. I have a BB Tour and had the Droid for 3 weeks and the main reason why I brought it back was the battery. I couldn't hardly have it on all day. I went out of town once. Left at 8 am and by like 2 pm or a little before, completely dead. Now I look at three emails, looked around the market for half an hour, browser for 15 minutes, and google maps navigation for 20 minutes. You call that a long lasting battery? I mean the Storm1 lasted longer than that! Pathetic! After three weeks, I was done. If you have to carry a power station around for your mobile device, then how portable is it?
    Incredibly enough, he claims to achieve this by overclocking. The way I understand it, the Droid CPU uses regenerative power so spare cycles recharge its own battery.
    03-16-10 12:19 AM
    In the last few days I have really been thinking about how important the iPhone is to me. I have had my fair share of issues with it and its hard to get rid of it because it really is a great phone. But over the course of the last few days I have relized how often i am worried about it dying, or is it going to do what its supose to. I have decided that today after work i am going to get rid of my iphone and get something that is more reliable. I really dont use the iphone for all the bells and whistles (I would if the battery allowed it through a full day) so i really am not going to miss anything. I am not an iphone hater, infact i think i am just the opposite, however i just cant handle the downfalls any more. If apple comes out with a new iphone that has a better battery i will definatly be back on the band wagon, but for now i am going to have to fall off and hopefully find something that better suits my needs... I truley love the iphone and am bummed that it has come to this.
    03-16-10 11:22 AM
    Don't make any decisions yet. It's too close to summer. Wait to see what the 4G brings to the table. Maybe they will have fixed the battery problems.
    03-16-10 11:35 AM
    Don't make any decisions yet. It's too close to summer. Wait to see what the 4G brings to the table. Maybe they will have fixed the battery problems.
    If apple fixes the problem with there battery I will be back for sure. I just get frustrated because sometimes at night when my iphone is dead I have to use my work phone to make calls. I don't like this for a number of reasons, 1. I don't want people to have my work phone number, and second I implemented a policy at our company that doesn't allow employees to use there work phones for personal use, so I don't want to be a hypocrite (I am an exec, and know I wont get fired for this, but I dont want my employees to think that I make rules and then dont follow them). I know its easy to charge it while I am at home or in the car but more often than not I just forget or my phone is already dead when I need to use it.

Last edited by JR750; 03-16-10 at 11:49 AM.
    03-16-10 11:46 AM
    In the last few days I have really been thinking about how important the iPhone is to me. I have had my fair share of issues with it and its hard to get rid of it because it really is a great phone. But over the course of the last few days I have relized how often i am worried about it dying, or is it going to do what its supose to. I have decided that today after work i am going to get rid of my iphone and get something that is more reliable. I really dont use the iphone for all the bells and whistles (I would if the battery allowed it through a full day) so i really am not going to miss anything. I am not an iphone hater, infact i think i am just the opposite, however i just cant handle the downfalls any more. If apple comes out with a new iphone that has a better battery i will definatly be back on the band wagon, but for now i am going to have to fall off and hopefully find something that better suits my needs... I truley love the iphone and am bummed that it has come to this.
    I agree this is my feeling too. I'll be back once it has usable battery life to actually use those great features.

Luckily you have a work phone. My cell is even more important because I have zero other phones.

But I also agree that j just forget to charge it and when I go to use it it's low. We shouldn't HAVE to charge it that much to use it

03-16-10 11:48 AM
    I agree this is my feeling too. I'll be back once it has usable battery life to actually use those great features.

Luckily you have a work phone. My cell is even more important because I have zero other phones.

But I also agree that j just forget to charge it and when I go to use it it's low. We shouldn't HAVE to charge it that much to use it

I hear ya! If I didnt have a work phone, and my personal died on me, i dont know what i would do. We have all become so accustomed to being connect to the world 24/7. When something like this happens we cant help but have a bitter taste in our mouth for whatever it is we are using. I REALLY REALLY hope that Apple makes a better lasting battery, for your sake, mine, and everyone else that has had this issue....

Last night I was at an NBA game, and the guy that has season tickets next to me was asking me how i liked my iphone (i was trying to send a text). He caught me on the wrong night.. I have known this guy for 4 years now, seeing we sit next to each other during every game, so i didnt hold back on my feelings for the iphone. I told him about all the issues that i have had with it, and then his wife leaned over and told me that she couldnt handle the battery issue either and had switched to a bold 9000... This made me realize that its not just the everyday heavy (I am by no means a heavy user) user that has issues with it, but its also the stay at home mom that probably has no idea how to download apps and what not... She has kids running around all day long so i am sure that she doent spend that much time on her phone... Maybe i am wrong.. I dont have kids (GF is pushing for marriage, and kids) but i assume they are a handful and dont leave time for anything else...
    Last edited by JR750; 03-16-10 at 12:13 PM.
    03-16-10 12:03 PM
    If apple fixes the problem with there battery I will be back for sure. I just get frustrated because sometimes at night when my iphone is dead I have to use my work phone to make calls. I don't like this for a number of reasons, 1. I don't want people to have my work phone number, and second I implemented a policy at our company that doesn't allow employees to use there work phones for personal use, so I don't want to be a hypocrite (I am an exec, and know I wont get fired for this, but I dont want my employees to think that I make rules and then dont follow them). I know its easy to charge it while I am at home or in the car but more often than not I just forget or my phone is already dead when I need to use it.

I understand you. I don't use my work berry for anything other than work. Sorry - it was a thought.
    03-16-10 03:00 PM
    I understand you. I don't use my work berry for anything other than work. Sorry - it was a thought.
    I appreciate the input... I just reread my post that you quoted and it seems like i was a little bit rude, i didnt intend for it to be, sorry...
    03-16-10 03:59 PM
    I appreciate the input... I just reread my post that you quoted and it seems like i was a little bit rude, i didnt intend for it to be, sorry...
    Oh no, it wasn't!!! we're cool!!! It's just sad when people want something and they can't have it because of circumstances. I go on fix-it mode and it just saddens me when there's no viable solution...like, bummer man....
    03-17-10 02:54 AM
    I decided to experiment today. I changed the screen brightness from 50% to 75% (roughly).

After 2+ hours of web browsing (5:45 am - 12:45 pm), my battery is down almost 20% MORE than usual.

I'm sitting at 37% right now.
    If I didn't have a desk job where I can plug it in beside me whenever I want, this would be a problem.
    03-17-10 11:49 AM
    With my first 9700 I know I could keep the backlight 60%-70% (which was EXTREMELY bright on that phone, 100% was almost blinding) and I dont think the phone ever saw less than 50% even after a whole day.

I dont get it, you have such a gorgeous screen on the phone but have to keep it dim below 50% brightness because of the battery? Why even have such a nice screen then in the first place?

I like Apple products but sometimes their logic is just baffling.

It doesnt sound like many people are even getting the listed 5 hours talk/web/data value Apple claims. I coudlve sworn when the 3GS first came out they had that number at somewhere like 5.5-6 hours, maybe people complained it wasnt close to accurate...
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-17-10 at 12:23 PM.
    03-17-10 12:18 PM
    From Wired:

Wired.com conducted a battery test comparing the iPhone 3GS with the iPhone 3G, and the former came out hours ahead. Running one of the world’s worst music videos on loop at maximum volume with push-notifications turned on, Wi-Fi turned off and earbuds plugged in, the iPhone 3GS lasted five hours and 47 minutes.

Turning push notifications off only extended battery life by 15 to 20 minutes. Running the same test with push turned off, the iPhone 3GS died after six hours and 3 minutes; the one-year-old iPhone 3G lasted four hours and 2 minutes.

Read More Battery Tests Confirm iPhone 3GS Improvements, But Complaints Linger | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    Far cry from the 10 hours they claim for video playback. Looks like push notifications had little impact on the battery too.

So the 5 hours talktime they claim may not be all that.

Love the phone itself, but battery life is a deal breaker
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-17-10 at 12:31 PM.
    03-17-10 12:28 PM
    Definitely, its still in the top 3 smartphones out there.

But after a while its hard to keep justifying owning something so expensive (without insurance mind you) that doesnt last 1 single day. I charge my phone every night so Im not asking for miracles here like others who ask why it doesnt last 3 days and crazy stuff; just 1 full day.

Im also not digging the direction Apple is going with blocking jailbreaking. Without jailbreaking I can say 100% I wouldnt own this phone because its too limited without all the Cydia tweaks. They 100% released 3.1.3 to block jailbreakers, and the devs are just giving in because the new phone will be out soon. The cat and mouse game is just getting old. While Apple has a duty to its shareholders, they should be spending more time and resources in improving their phone and not attacking and alienating the jailbreak community, who are mostly the diehard users. Jailbreaking is NOT illegal afterall.

So what will be your iPhone replacement friend, i don't use my iPhone for work anymore so im not having any battery problems anymore (lucky me) but it would always be at about 10% come the end of the day which had be running to my car charger lol.
    03-17-10 12:39 PM
81 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD