Multitasking, on OS 4.0 YESSSS

/SQUEEEEE
    04-08-10 12:18 PM
    BREAKING NEWS!... wait.. nevermind.. I was going to say iPhone now available on Verizon. NOT!
    04-08-10 01:14 PM
    iPhone G4 to have a flashing LED and BBM support!!!!
    Uhhh, no.
    04-08-10 02:05 PM
    " How do you close applications when multitasking? A: (Scott) You don't have to. The user just uses things and doesn't ever have to worry about it. (Steve) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it."

Now if only all companies could adopt this point of view
    04-08-10 02:09 PM
    I haven't read or listened to the event yet, but is there not a speed advantage if you close programs you're not using?

Or did they incorporate some sort of sleep function for running apps that have not been used after a set period of time?
    04-08-10 03:13 PM
    " How do you close applications when multitasking? A: (Scott) You don't have to. The user just uses things and doesn't ever have to worry about it. (Steve) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it."

Didn't they implement the Long Hold of the Home button to bring up the running apps screen? Reason would dictate that if they did that, you'd still be able to close an app by just clicking the Home button once with the active app that you want to close. Or, simply Long Hold Home button to bring up the list, switch apps to the one you want to close and then hit Home once to close it and bring you back to the default Home screen.

Am I the only one who thought of this? Or are they saying that you won't be able to see which apps are running? lol
    04-08-10 03:29 PM
    Seems like you won't be able to see it (not surprised if this is true at all) and you just go back to the app later. Boy, app > homescreen > new app! That will be SO MUCH FASTER than hold button > click app.

Way to newfie up multi-tasking now too, Apple. the more I see from them the more I think Jobs has gone the way of George Lucas and is just bat**** crazy now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 03:34 PM
    did anyone actually watch the presentation....multitasking is done using a dock. you double click the home button to bring up a dock of apps that are running. Didnt mention how to close apps that are running. The way the apps run is basically the iphone closes the app but the app tells the iphone what it needs to run while its closed. For example if your uploading pictures to facebook and you switch out of it, the facebook app closes but facebook tells the iphone to keep uploading the pictures. The same for GPS and other apps, the apps close but it can tell the iphone what to run while its in the background. So in a way its not true multitasking, but its more efficient because it doesnt need to run the entire app in the background, meaning it doesnt use up as much battery, and the phone doesn't lag. Anyone who multitasks in a jailbroken iPhone can tell you that true multitasking is a major drain on the iphone battery.

On another note, multitasking will only be available for the 3gs and latest ipod touch.
    Last edited by seahwhat; 04-08-10 at 03:46 PM.
    04-08-10 03:35 PM
    Seems like you won't be able to see it (not surprised if this is true at all) and you just go back to the app later. Boy, app > homescreen > new app! That will be SO MUCH FASTER than hold button > click app.

Way to newfie up multi-tasking now too, Apple. the more I see from them the more I think Jobs has gone the way of George Lucas and is just bat**** crazy now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    you're an id|ot, apps run in the dock, you dont need to go to the homescreen, meaning you CAN see the apps that are running. maybe research a little before you post stupid comments.
    04-08-10 03:40 PM
    did anyone actually watch the presentation....multitasking is done using a dock. you double click the home button to bring up a dock of apps that are running. Didnt mention how to close apps that are running. The way the apps run is basically the iphone closes the app but the app tells the iphone what it needs to run while its closed. For example if your uploading pictures to facebook and you switch out of it, the facebook app closes but facebook tells the iphone to keep uploading the pictures. The same for GPS and other apps, the apps close but it can tell the iphone what to run while its in the background. So in a way its not true multitasking, but its more efficient because it doesnt need to run the entire app in the background, meaning it doesnt use up as much battery, and the phone doesn't lag. Anyone who multitasks in a jailbroken iPhone can tell you that true multitasking is a major drain on the iphone battery.

On another note, multitasking will only be available for the 3gs and latest ipod touch.
    I haven't watched it yet, so thanks for the snapshot. That answers my question.
    04-08-10 03:55 PM
    I haven't read or listened to the event yet, but is there not a speed advantage if you close programs you're not using?

Or did they incorporate some sort of sleep function for running apps that have not been used after a set period of time?
    I noticed after double clicking on the home button, bringing up the active tasks, if you hold down your finger on a task, it brings up a little tag on the icon indicating you can press it to remove it (and it jiggles the icon too)

04-08-10 07:43 PM
    I noticed after double clicking on the home button, bringing up the active tasks, if you hold down your finger on a task, it brings up a little tag on the icon indicating you can press it to remove it (and it jiggles the icon too)

Yep, I just saw a video on this as well. It's nice to know there's a way to truly close out running programs if needed. I'm ok with this implementation.
    04-08-10 08:36 PM
    All I have to say half my apps do not work properly with OS 4.0. I know it is meant for testing but this OS is buggy as anything before Alpha.. forget Beta.
    04-09-10 08:05 AM

Prada, where is this quote from? I've watched the podcast twice and cannot recall this being said.
    04-09-10 08:12 AM
    you're an id|ot, apps run in the dock, you dont need to go to the homescreen, meaning you CAN see the apps that are running. maybe research a little before you post stupid comments.
    Alright, I wasn't going to reply to this, but because of the way you posted, I will.

I was actually replying to xxxxpradaxxxx's post, which suggested there would be no dock, in which case, yes, Apple would've f*cked up multitasking too. Try reading the rest of the thread.

Also, double clicking the home button brings up this dock..there's already features assigned to it though. (ie, double click to go to homescreen, bring up music, etc) Is this feature gone now then?
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 04-22-10 at 09:12 AM.
    04-09-10 08:52 AM
    Prada, where is this quote from? I've watched the podcast twice and cannot recall this being said.
    This was quoted from Engadgets live coverage of yesterdays event during the final Q&A section with Steve and the others.
    04-09-10 09:06 AM
    Everyone, be nice, or this thread will be closed, period...
    04-09-10 10:03 AM
    All I have to say half my apps do not work properly with OS 4.0. I know it is meant for testing but this OS is buggy as anything before Alpha.. forget Beta.
    Really you mean an OS that is not meant for release yet is buggy? Not trying to flame you but what do you expect, devs need time to get their apps ready for OS 4.0
    04-09-10 08:14 PM
    Multitasking, on OS 4.0 YESSSS

/SQUEEEEE
    Soooooo happy about this. And the folders and all the other updates. Only thing I am bummed about is having to wait till this summer to get it.
    04-09-10 08:15 PM
    Everyone, be nice, or this thread will be closed, period...
    I second that
    04-09-10 09:16 PM
    I'm kinda confused about the folders. It doesn't seem very complicated. Why was that not implemented until now?

Nav, Duvi, I'm being nice. I was going to take a shot at Mr. Jobs, but I held back.
    04-09-10 09:45 PM
    I'm kinda confused about the folders. It doesn't seem very complicated. Why was that not implemented until now?

Nav, Duvi, I'm being nice. I was going to take a shot at Mr. Jobs, but I held back.
    That is a really good question. I kinda thought the same thing when I saw them. Can't wait to use them though.
    04-09-10 09:59 PM
    Definitely wanna see how this plays out but more importantly I wanna see the 4G iPhone on Verizon so I can sell my 3GS and cancel my ATT contract already.
    04-09-10 10:51 PM
    i've noticed last night one app isn't functioning anymore (it did briefly, but then preceded to crash, and immediately does now.) and one time the unlock feature on the phone wasn't working, and a reset fixed that.

it's not currently meant for consumers to use though, just for developers to test their apps under it and be ready for them to work when the final OS product is released.
    04-10-10 10:36 AM
    i've noticed last night one app isn't functioning anymore (it did briefly, but then preceded to crash, and immediately does now.) and one time the unlock feature on the phone wasn't working, and a reset fixed that.

it's not currently meant for consumers to use though, just for developers to test their apps under it and be ready for them to work when the final OS product is released.
    I'm almost starting to think it's done on purpose to scare consumers from d/ling. Another thing is, Apple knows when you update to 4.0 or any beta for that matter. The screen actually turns purple (if I remember correctly) when doing a restore.

I installed 3.0 when it was in beta 2 and continued to install each near release and I can definitely say, it's not ready for consumers what so ever.
    04-10-10 10:49 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD