I have been using blackberry phones since 2002 and think I am getting sick of the battery pulls and constant OS updates to make them work better and I want something that will... well... work.

I have seen all the good flashy stuff about the iPhone but now I want to know the bad... if there is any... before I buy this phone. Any help would be great. And if you are going to slam this post please don't bother responding.
    09-25-09 05:44 PM
    There is no multitasking on the iPhone, unless you jailbreak it. The camera doesn't have flash. Some have reported bad battery life and overheating..... Oh and they've been exploding for users in Europe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-09 06:56 PM
    There is no multitasking on the iPhone, unless you jailbreak it. The camera doesn't have flash. Some have reported bad battery life and overheating..... Oh and they've been exploding for users in Europe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Exploded? Are you serious?
    09-25-09 07:03 PM
    Yes like a handful (under 5 or so) reported incidents out of 22 million or so sold. nothing to call home about exactly. 0.00000022% to be exact. You have a better chance to hit the mega-millions/powerball lottery than an iphone explode on you.

Camera flashes do NOTHING, period. Unless its Xenon, its nothing more then a glorified flashlight for a dark room.

Battery life varies on usage but its rated the same as most 3G smartphones.

And I love this common anti-iphone excuse- you have to jailbreak. What could you POSSIBLY lose jailbreaking? Notta.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 09-25-09 at 07:23 PM.
    09-25-09 07:19 PM
    EU's exploding-iPhone investigation heats up | Crave - CNET

There is an article about the explosions, for what it's worth. Personally I wouldn't let that affect my decision if I were considering an iPhone.
    09-25-09 07:21 PM
    Yes, no reports in the US, all overseas.

And as I said youre talking 5 or less out of 22 million sold so far. Hardly anything to even consider
    09-25-09 07:25 PM
    Yes like a handful (under 5 or so) reported incidents out of 22 million or so sold. nothing to call home about exactly. 0.00000022% to be exact. You have a better chance to hit the mega-millions/powerball lottery than an iphone explode on you.

Camera flashes do NOTHING, period. Unless its Xenon, its nothing more then a glorified flashlight for a dark room.

And I love this common anti-iphone excuse- you have to jailbreak. What could you POSSIBLY lose jailbreaking? Notta.
    Ok, cool, so jailbreaking is like leaked versions of the OS that will let you do different things. I looked it up and the most I got out of it was unlocking the phone...
    09-25-09 07:39 PM
    jailbreaking and unlocking are 2 separate things.

Jailbreak is for apps outside the App Store, like on Cydia. Add-ins, tweaks, widgets, etc

Unlock is only if you plan to use it on another carrier (Tmo) or out of the country.

Its kind of like a leaked OS for BB. Its honestly harmless and no reason for anyone not to do it. Like a leaked OS I wouldnt bring it in for service like that, but like the leaked OS you can revert it back to stock if you need to bring it in.

The only people scared of jailbreaking or use it as an excuse to not get a iphone are peole whove never even set their hands on one.
    09-25-09 08:40 PM
    The only people scared of jailbreaking or use it as an excuse to not get a iphone are peole whove never even set their hands on one.

i have an iphone and it is not jailbreaked or unlocked and i am perfectly happy with it. this comment is horrible
    09-26-09 08:40 AM

I have nothing against the IPHONE, what I have a problem with is the camera flash does nothing? really cause I have a 10 month old and when he lays in his crib at nite, and his mother is at work and I want to send her a pic... your right flash does nothing.. with out a flash you have to be in well lit(typically very well) to be able to take a pic.. The IPHONE is not the only phone that i feel this way about.. there are far to many phones with no flash thats just stupid... voyager, rival, Krave, and many more.. the camera is quite pointless with out a flash. what you said there is like saying you dont need light bulbs the are glorified flash lights that do nothing...

Now to the OP, the Iphone is a wonderful device if it meets your needs. It does not meet everyone's needs and depending on your area and carrier it may not have the service you need to use it. The best option is to try it out.. i think they give you 30days.. give it a go and really use it see if it something you would like.. if not then at least you know 100% you are going to have too many Storm fans, bbfans, and iphone fans... hating on each other to get an accurate answer here. Best option.. take it for a drive
    09-26-09 08:49 AM
    Yes, no reports in the US, all overseas.

And as I said youre talking 5 or less out of 22 million sold so far. Hardly anything to even consider
    5 is still too high a number for a phone exploding! The number should be 0...that means is happened to more than one so it can happen again to anyone!

To the OP, I don't think it should stop you from getting it, is a great phone I had the 3G, battery life does suck but it really depends on usage, you can jailbreak it for multitasking but trust me it will drain your battery even quicker! (Reason why I sold it, I need multitaskin and had it unlocked and jailbroken, battery sucked for me).

It is a great phone, but for me a BB works better. Is really up to you, I suggest you go to an apple store and just spend time playin with the phone and decide for yourself
    09-26-09 08:51 AM
    Take it on a 30 day trail, see if you like it.. can't hurt. I hear Jacksonville FL is covered very well with at&t.. so why not try it out?
    09-26-09 10:24 AM
    I went from a Storm to a 3G S and have not looked back. I have used BB for work for over 10 years and I love the iPhone. I do not work in the same field as when I needed a BB so I don't miss any of the "features" that a BB has to offer. Don't get me wrong, BB are great devices. But for my wants and needs the iPhone is for me. As far as exploding iPhones, do some research online and come up with your own conclusions on that subject. And I must concur with Chaldo, take the 30 day trial and see what you think. Good Luck with your decision!
    09-26-09 11:03 AM
    i have an iphone and it is not jailbreaked or unlocked and i am perfectly happy with it. this comment is horrible
    Thats fine but youre not making excuses not to get an iphone because you have to jailbreak it to make it usable. Thats what i was referring to.

I have nothing against the IPHONE, what I have a problem with is the camera flash does nothing? really cause I have a 10 month old and when he lays in his crib at nite, and his mother is at work and I want to send her a pic... your right flash does nothing.. with out a flash you have to be in well lit(typically very well) to be able to take a pic.. The IPHONE is not the only phone that i feel this way about.. there are far to many phones with no flash thats just stupid... voyager, rival, Krave, and many more.. the camera is quite pointless with out a flash. what you said there is like saying you dont need light bulbs the are glorified flash lights that do nothing...
    youre talking about one specific circumstance of out what many use a camera for. The flashes are weak and barely extend more than 2 or 3 feet. Useless for normal setting pictures- people taking pics of their friends, scenery, etc a flash wont make one bit of difference more than a close-up

5 is still too high a number for a phone exploding! The number should be 0...that means is happened to more than one so it can happen again to anyone!
    Then youre clear naive to the world because EVERY product has hurt or failed on at least 1 person. There's no such thing in mass production as a 100% success rate without failure. There is an industry standard set for defects and is shockingly high IMO ( a few %). Here youre talking about 5 out of 22 million, a fraction of a hundredth of a percent. FAR under any accepted industry standard for a product failure.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 09-26-09 at 12:14 PM.
    09-26-09 12:03 PM
    i jus came from a bb storm running os 151. its a great phone and there are a lot of things i really miss about that phone. i love the way bbs handle email and texts.threaded texts are over rated. i miss bb messenger too. the camera on the iphone desperately needs a flash and multitasking. its gets on my very last nerve having to always go out to the home screen to get to another app. very very annoying.

on the other hand i can see why apple has their phone set up the way they do. you give up multitasking to have a tangle free os. my iphone doesnt freeze or slow up or anything . it jus works. period. also, i make mixed cds and like how the ipod part of the phone plays my tracks seamlessly without that split second gap between songs.

overall the bb does much more than the iphone does but what the iphone does it does flawlessly and if youre a mac person its a must have. if verizon had better coverage in my house id still be on my storm but i cant say i regret my decision to go to the iphone. go for it , try it out if you dont like it , switch back.
    09-27-09 06:55 AM
    I just switched from the Pearl 8120 (also still have a Curve 8900) to the 3GS, and love the iPhone. It's a little too big and heavy for my tastes, but I guess that's ok since it's packed with so many features.

I do miss some things about the blackberry like the back button (with the iPhone, you have to basically revert all the way back to the home screen each time), the red LED telling you that you have an email or message, and the fact that you can have all your messages sent to one inbox. But the iPhone excels in other areas that for me, more than makes up for those losses. The user interface, general flow of how the phone operates, speed at which it works, and media/browser/apps features are second to none, IMO. With push email offered for yahoo and gmail on the iPhone now, and true HTML rendering, the Blackberry, IMO, doesn't have a significant edge over the iPhone now in that department either.

I say give it a try for 30 days, and if you don't like it, you can always switch back. I only needed 1 full day to decide that I won't be switching back though.
    09-27-09 07:17 AM
    Well after sitting on watch last night for 8 hours with no computer and the storm restarted on me 13 times and none of the videos I put on it work, I think its time for the switch. Thanks for all your help guys
    09-28-09 01:55 PM
    Well after sitting on watch last night for 8 hours with no computer and the storm restarted on me 13 times and none of the videos I put on it work, I think its time for the switch. Thanks for all your help guys
    I'm in the same boat as you are...I have the Storm and despite the OS updates, it's still not where it should be. I still have to restart it at least 5 times in a week, which isn't bad compared to how many times you had to do it last night. However, I feel as though a phone of this magnitude should just work properly. The only thing that's holding me back from getting an iPhone is at&t. I really don't want to leave Verizon since me and my husband are on a family plan and most of my family and friends have Verizon. Ugh, I don't know. I'm at the end of my rope with the Storm and the new BB's coming to Verizon doesn't really impress me too much since all the new BB's are pretty much the same as far as software is concerned. RIM needs a new OS that can compete with the likes of the iPhone, Android, and the Pre.
    09-28-09 03:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD