I use a Verizon BlackBerry, and as much as I would love to move to the iPhone, I don't think I can put up with more than 1-2% dropped calls. I use the phone a lot for business.

In the past 2 years with Verizon, my Verizon BB may have dropped 5 calls out of thousands made and received. Not a bad track record.

My question to other New York City area iPhone users is: what's your estimated percentage of dropped calls with AT&T?
    10-03-09 10:27 PM
    This should answer your question (have a read through the comments after the article): http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/09...l-rate-nyc-30/
    10-03-09 10:44 PM
    And for me, it's excellent. I'm in NJ/NY.

But I know a couple of people who has said their calls have been dropping in NYC.

Best way to find out is to try it out. You have 30 days.
    10-03-09 11:21 PM
    I'm in NY/NJ too, and it's been very good. Personally, I don't know why people say Verizon is that good... When I was with Verizon, I never thought their service was any better than any of the other carriers except T-mobile, whose coverage areas really were lacking outside NYC.

Also, FWIW, the phone call quality on my 3gs is better than what it was on any of my previous blackberries.
    10-04-09 03:44 AM
    I don't own an iPhone yet, but I'm on AT&T and even after beating up my phone, I NEVER dropped a call in the two years I was with AT&T, I even get signal in some subway stations.
    10-04-09 05:39 PM
    Every time I'm in NYC I have great service. Maybe have dropped one call there with my iPhone. I have great service outside of NYC too, basically everywhere I go in NY. Like dknyberry said, I also have a better call quality experience with my 3GS than I have with my Bold. I have dropped more calls with my Bold than I have with my 3GS.
    10-04-09 06:55 PM
    my friend in NYC he lives there has a Bold and he said the last 2 months well (july/aug/) have been HORRIBLE so many dropped calls he went insane, he contacted me this month and said sept it went back to normal as they rolled out 850mhz I guess, and added some stuff now he said the quality is just perfect he isn't having anymore issues, and friends with AT&T around him have said the same. So I guess its all good now, probably still beefing it up at the moment.
    10-04-09 09:20 PM
    thansk for the feedback. looks like I'm heading off to the Apple Store to pick up a new iPhone. Now the big decision is... black or white?
    10-05-09 10:41 AM
    I just read an article last week saying the the iphone on AT&T in NY has an average dropped call rate of 30% which is a known issue from AT&T and they say it is normal in the region. I didn't write the article but that's basically what it outlined. Food for thought.
    10-05-09 10:59 AM
    Just try it for 30 days and see how it is, not gonna hurt you as you know you can cancel with no ETF etc. and get black
    10-05-09 11:02 AM
    I just read an article last week saying the the iphone on AT&T in NY has an average dropped call rate of 30% which is a known issue from AT&T and they say it is normal in the region. I didn't write the article but that's basically what it outlined. Food for thought.
    I think that article stated that a person working at an Apple store said that. Not sure I would trust what an employee at a retail store says. I have been with AT&T for more than 5 years, and have not experienced any significant problems with dropped calls, but I have experienced poor call quality with Blackberries.

oh, and to the OP, get the black!
    Last edited by dknyberry; 10-05-09 at 12:43 PM.
    10-05-09 12:22 PM
    Black it is, and I'm going for the 16Gb. The 32 is a bit rich for my budget right now...

I had read the article about the Apple store employee who ballparked a 30% dropped call rate here in NYC, and called it "normal." Here's the link in case you haven't seen it Apple Genius Bar: iPhones' 30% Call Drop Is "Normal" in New York - Apple - Gizmodo
    10-05-09 03:22 PM
    Congrats! I just got mine last week, and love it. Coming from a Blackberry, it took me about 2 days to get used to the new user interface and stuff, but it really is a great phone. Btw, the phone comes with push Yahoo email, but now they also rolled out capabilty for the phone to get push gmail. For that, you just need to go to a gmail instruction page, and it will show you how to setup your iPhone through an Exchange server to get push email from gmail. Very easy to do, so don't worry.

I have one yahoo and one gmail account on push, and the rest like aol, hotmail, etc, on fetch at 1 hr. intervals. If you don't set up the gmail account through exchange, it will just fetch the email, so I think it's worthwhile to look up how to set up the gmail push. Enjoy your new iPhone!

Black it is, and I'm going for the 16Gb. The 32 is a bit rich for my budget right now...

I had read the article about the Apple store employee who ballparked a 30% dropped call rate here in NYC, and called it "normal." Here's the link in case you haven't seen it Apple Genius Bar: iPhones' 30% Call Drop Is "Normal" in New York - Apple - Gizmodo
    10-05-09 03:56 PM
    Poll Technica: iPhone dropped calls—is 30% normal? Defensible? - Ars Technica

Here was the article. In case anyone wanted to read it.

This is what was said "While Geniuses at his local Apple Store were able to verify from logs that his dropped call rate was about 22 percent, he was told that the average in the city is actually 30 percent."
    10-05-09 04:06 PM
    my friend in NYC he lives there has a Bold and he said the last 2 months well (july/aug/) have been HORRIBLE so many dropped calls he went insane, he contacted me this month and said sept it went back to normal as they rolled out 850mhz I guess, and added some stuff now he said the quality is just perfect he isn't having anymore issues, and friends with AT&T around him have said the same. So I guess its all good now, probably still beefing it up at the moment.
    In a word, the service is DREADFUL...I live in NYC and I drop 5 calls a day!
    10-05-09 07:58 PM
    I use a Verizon BlackBerry, and as much as I would love to move to the iPhone, I don't think I can put up with more than 1-2% dropped calls. I use the phone a lot for business.

In the past 2 years with Verizon, my Verizon BB may have dropped 5 calls out of thousands made and received. Not a bad track record.

My question to other New York City area iPhone users is: what's your estimated percentage of dropped calls with AT&T?
    AT&T iphone service is terrible in nyc, i live in the city, also travel a lot within 5 borough and right now iam having more than 30% dropped calls. iam talking a lot, mostly business and its my second iphone after first one was replaced by apple. even call to 611 got dropped its been like this more about 2 months, my bold was much better here. now iam thinking to do vzw switch
    10-08-09 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD