Demystifying AT&T's iPhone upgrade policies (FAQ) | Signal Strength - CNET News

Can non-iPhone smartphone subscribers keep their $30 unlimited data plans or must they subscribe to one of the new AT&T data plans that are capped at 200MB and 2GB?
    All current AT&T smartphone customers can keep their $30 unlimited data plan if they upgrade to an iPhone 4 once their contract expires.
    Can non-iPhone AT&T smartphone subscribers get the early upgrade price for the iPhone 4 before their current contracts expire?
    No, only current iPhone customers are able to get the early upgrade price.
    sooo... does this mean... if i want to pre-order the iphone4 in the 15th to get it on the 24th, i have to pay the 599/699 price since i'm currently a blackberry user?
    06-11-10 06:52 AM
    I researched this yesterday and got 3 different answers from 3 different reps @ AT&T. I think that unless you are a current iphone user, you will have to pay retail of $199(16G) or $299(32G), an upgrade fee of $18, plus an early upgrade fee off $200.

My wife and I both want to get them but since our magic upgrade date isn't till November and neither of us are current iphone users , it will cost us at least $836.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-10 07:08 AM
    Wow, with those fees, its better to pay 100 extra and get it retail (for 16GB that is, it'll be 200 for 32)
    Last edited by shalagin; 06-11-10 at 07:27 AM.
    06-11-10 07:19 AM
    Just dial *639# on your phone and you'll get a text telling you what kind of discount you'll get. Also, log onto att.com and check your upgrade options. If you are eligible for a full or partial discount on the iPhones on the site now, then it's the same for iPhone 4.
    06-11-10 10:00 AM
    Anyone on AT&T can early upgrade only if you are eligible - it all depends on where you are with your upgrade eligibility (dial *639# [*NEW#] from a phone on the line you would like to upgrade).

Upgrade eligible: $199/$299 (+ activation fee, I think)
    Early upgrade eligible: $399/$499 (+$18 early upgrade fee)
    No upgrade/No-commitment pricing: $499/$599 (no fees)

If you are currently a BB user w/unlimited data (prob. grandfathered in) and decide to switch to an iPhone, you WILL LOSE your unlimited plan forever and will have to sign up for an iPhone data plan.

The only difference w/already being an iPhone user is that you may be qualified for some credits or what have you.

The above information applies to all non-iPhone users looking to switch/join.
    06-11-10 10:00 AM
    If you are currently a BB user w/unlimited data (prob. grandfathered in) and decide to switch to an iPhone, you WILL LOSE your unlimited plan forever and will have to sign up for an iPhone data plan.
    From the link in the first post:

Can non-iPhone smartphone subscribers keep their $30 unlimited data plans or must they subscribe to one of the new AT&T data plans that are capped at 200MB and 2GB?
    All current AT&T smartphone customers can keep their $30 unlimited data plan if they upgrade to an iPhone 4 once their contract expires.
    06-11-10 11:16 AM

Not correct. Anyone who has any AT&T smartphone unlimited plan can keep unlimited if they change to an iPhone. Those that do not have smartphone unlimited plans have to get one of the new ones.
    06-11-10 11:21 AM
    I thought I had unlimited on my BB but I don't. It's ok, I won't be streaming video all the time.

And I'm a BB user and got an early upgrade without paying that fee. I'm so excited.
    06-11-10 11:27 AM
    I called 2 AT&T reps yesterday and a Best Buy Mobile rep and all 3 told me the same thing - BB's BIS unlimited data is different than iPhone's data and the switch will result in signing up for a new data plan.

It's all so stupid nonetheless. I have waded through threads and threads both here and on other forums and am hearing 900 different things. It's amazing how misinformed this company's customers are.
    06-11-10 12:00 PM
    If you want to keep your unlimited plan you will not lose it and you do not have to choose one of the new data plans even if you're not upgrading to an iphone. This video from at&t explains that.

06-11-10 12:40 PM
    If you want to keep your unlimited plan you will not lose it and you do not have to choose one of the new data plans even if you're not upgrading to an iphone. This video from at&t explains that.

thanks for the video.. that brings some relief about "grandfathering" my unlimited plan over
    06-11-10 01:18 PM
    Now I'm ticked off because I just realized that the 6 month early upragde offer only applies to current iPhone users not existing smartphone users . I don't understand why they wouldn't want to make it easier for everyone to get a new iPhone instead of just current iPhone users. I currently have a family plan with unlimited data on both lines - one line has a Bold 9000 on it and one has a Curve, both were purchased at the same time (Nov 2008). The primary line with the Bold was eligible for early upgrade in April and the Curve will be eligible next month. I want to upgrade both lines to an iPhone so I'm going to see if they will give me the early upgrade price. If not, I'll be waiting because I'm not paying $499 for the iPhone 4. Guess once I ever get on the iPhone train, I'll be set as AT&T obviously shows preference to it's existing iPhone customers. On a side note, I do think I've found enough documentation to prove that I can keep my unlimited data plan since I don't want to make any changes to my plan. I'm surprised they didn't only allow current iPhone users to keep their plans. So, I can't complain too much. Keeping my current plan was the most important thing. I'd love to have the new iPhone on release date like everyone else, but I can wait if I have too.

Last edited by UMRebel; 06-12-10 at 10:18 AM.
    06-12-10 10:03 AM
    Anyone on AT&T can early upgrade only if you are eligible - it all depends on where you are with your upgrade eligibility (dial *639# [*NEW#] from a phone on the line you would like to upgrade).

Upgrade eligible: $199/$299 (+ activation fee, I think)
    Early upgrade eligible: $399/$499 (+$18 early upgrade fee)
    No upgrade/No-commitment pricing: $499/$599 (no fees)

The only difference w/already being an iPhone user is that you may be qualified for some credits or what have you.

The above information applies to all non-iPhone users looking to switch/join.
    Think your wrong on two points here. One the early upgrade is a $200 break so the non-commitment price is 599/699. Also you are able to keep your current data plan if switching from smart phone to smart phone according to At&T
    As many of you already know, existing Smartphone customers who already have a Smartphone data unlimited plan on their account will be allowed to keep their existing data plan should they choose, even if upgrading their device to another Smartphone; this includes ALL Smartphone Operating Systems such as iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Mobile, webOS and Symbian. So, if you currently have a smartphone, such as a BlackBerry and would like to upgrade/switch to another smartphone like an iPhone, you can do so without losing your current Smartphone data unlimited plan.
    Clarification on the New Smartphone Data Plans! - AT&T Wireless Community
    06-12-10 12:50 PM
    I called 2 AT&T reps yesterday and a Best Buy Mobile rep and all 3 told me the same thing - BB's BIS unlimited data is different than iPhone's data and the switch will result in signing up for a new data plan.

It's all so stupid nonetheless. I have waded through threads and threads both here and on other forums and am hearing 900 different things. It's amazing how misinformed this company's customers are.
    How about this. I work for AT&T and you CAN keep your unlimited data between smartphone platforms. Good enough for you?
    06-12-10 01:03 PM
    Now I'm ticked off because I just realized that the 6 month early upragde offer only applies to current iPhone users not existing smartphone users .
    If not, I'll be waiting because I'm not paying $499 for the iPhone 4. Guess once I ever get on the iPhone train, I'll be set as AT&T obviously shows preference to it's existing iPhone customers.
    I'd love to have the new iPhone on release date like everyone else, but I can wait if I have too.

I'm in the same boat. I have a Bold 9000 and my upgrade date in 10-15-10. I'll wait before I pay an extra $200 just to get it a few months early. If my son upgrades his 3G to a 4 I'll take his for a few months.
    06-12-10 04:02 PM
    Ok. So I'm straight.. I'm on BES unlimited data. Not BIS. Would I still be grandfathered in?

Also. When I check my upgrade status, it says that they will offer me an upgrade to the new iphone, but all other phones I have to wait.

06-12-10 05:39 PM
    You mad brah ?!?!
    06-13-10 08:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD