Verizon said there not pursuing Iphone. Maybe it will be back on T-mobile's table? Would love to see it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-10 11:47 AM
    Do you have a link to this information? Or is this yet another in the long line of iPhone to some carrier rumors?
    06-26-10 12:06 PM
    Verizon Not Interested in iPhone 4, Pushing Android Smartphones Instead | Notebooks.com

There is other articles out there too. Google Iphone rumors for them.

06-26-10 12:26 PM
    Doesn't matter to me since I would never go to at&t since they put a cap on data plans. Who is the number 1 carrier in the U.S. anyway?
    06-26-10 01:11 PM
    I checked with TMO. I only use 1 KB of data. I'm on the web a lot so 2GB would be enough for me.

06-26-10 01:45 PM
    Doesn't matter to me since I would never go to at&t since they put a cap on data plans. Who is the number 1 carrier in the U.S. anyway?
    Don't be surprised if VZW and TMO follow suit.
    06-26-10 02:11 PM
    Verizon will be changing their data plans, too.

06-26-10 03:13 PM
    I wonder if you will be able to grandfather your old data plan when they change. If not would buying phones at retail or eBay keep them from changing your plan?
    06-26-10 04:59 PM
    You should be grandfathered in. AT&T did, and only new subs got shafted on the data plan. Verizon said they would do tiered when they rolled out LTE, which might cause you to have to go to that plan when getting a 4g phone.

I still think the iPhone is coming to VZW. While they are pushing Droids right now, there are a lot of people who would migrate to VZW if the iPhone was offered. Look at what it did for AT&T. Apple doesn't look to increase market share by remaining on AT&T, and last I checked they were a for profit company. It's probably going to come in Q4/Q1 of the the year once exclusivity goes away. I'm thinking that why AT&T is allowing the upgrades to anyone who wants an iPhone even though their contract may not be up til the end of the year.
    Last edited by dcsr23; 06-26-10 at 05:21 PM.
    06-26-10 05:16 PM
    And we will continue to hold onto the old 3G, refusing to renew another contract with AT&T!!! Might end up having to replace it with Android.
    06-26-10 06:18 PM
    You should be grandfathered in. AT&T did, and only new subs got shafted on the data plan. Verizon said they would do tiered when they rolled out LTE, which might cause you to have to go to that plan when getting a 4g phone.

I still think the iPhone is coming to VZW. While they are pushing Droids right now, there are a lot of people who would migrate to VZW if the iPhone was offered. Look at what it did for AT&T. Apple doesn't look to increase market share by remaining on AT&T, and last I checked they were a for profit company. It's probably going to come in Q4/Q1 of the the year once exclusivity goes away. I'm thinking that why AT&T is allowing the upgrades to anyone who wants an iPhone even though their contract may not be up til the end of the year.
    Why is VZW allowing customers to upgrade early to android devices? BECAUSE THEY WANT TO SELL DEVICES.

It has nothing to do with the iPhone leaving. We have it until 2012.
    06-26-10 07:52 PM
    Why is VZW allowing customers to upgrade early to android devices? BECAUSE THEY WANT TO SELL DEVICES.

It has nothing to do with the iPhone leaving. We have it until 2012.
    That is not their ultimate goal!

What they really want to do is sell and renew service contracts. That's where the real the real money is. Think about it.... I just paid $300 for a $700 iPhone and renewed my contract for 2 more years. I have 2 lines and my line has the $30 per month data plan. My monthly bill averages $120. So how long do you think it'll take ATT to recoup the $400 balance? And these phones are assembled in China. How much do you really think they're worth? I bet less than $300. The rest is all gravy.

Why do you think these companies always have these promotions going on, offering NEW customers real low prices and sometimes, even free phones whey they sign a new contract? They're trying to intice them.

When my contract was up, 2 years ago and I wanted to get my first blackberry, they were offering the same BB to new customers for $49. They would not give me that deal. I threatened to leave ATT and they said that that was up to me (even though I've been a customer since 1997). I had to pay $250 up front, of which $100 was returned to me as a rebate.

What I'm trying to say, is that these devices are exactly that...devices. Devices designed to attract new and keep old customers. That's the reason ATT had to allow their iPhone customers the early upgrade option. They knew that a lot of them would have been pissed off and probably bailed and went elsewhere for the droid or something else.

It would be interesting to know how many new customers ATT gained so far with the iPhone4. You know there were massive contract renewals, mine included.

So no... VZW is not allowing customers to upgrade early to android devices? BECAUSE THEY WANT TO SELL DEVICES. They want to keep the customers they have and renew their contracts. Why make them angry and risk them leaving for the amazing iPhone 4
    06-26-10 09:55 PM
    Phone companies make more on the plans than the phone is obvious, so you have to look at it this way...how much should you be paying for your plan?

06-27-10 08:39 AM
    Phone companies make more on the plans than the phone is obvious, so you have to look at it this way...how much should you be paying for your plan?

That's what I'm talking about. And that's why the companies try to get their hands on the latest and greatest phones, with all the bells and whistles. They know this is how they're going to attract new and keep old customers. They know people want a phone that looks sharp and does everything you can think of and maybe even makes phone calls

Compared to how many iPhone 4s that are being sold, I don't see too many people complaining about the reported signal loss and dropped phone calls. I can duplicate the signal loss myself, but I wouldn't even consider parting with my i4. The majority of people I see complaining here and all over the net, are Apple haters, who don't even own an iPhone.
    06-27-10 11:06 AM
    Haha, true, I'm one of those. Why did you have to call me out on that lol.

06-27-10 11:30 AM
    Verizon users already have something better than the iPhone, the Droid and Droid incredible. Way better than the iPhone (just not marketed as well)...and I have an iPhone4 (AT&T's phone selection sucks these days).

This is my first time with an i-anything, and iTunes + Apple's Nazi tactics have insured it will be my last. You have so little control to customize your phone, and sending media to the phone is much more of a hassle than a BB or Android phone with drag and drop!

The Droid Incredible is such a smooth machine, I'd trade the I4 for one (I won't cancel 2 lines for a big ETF just for a different phone). The Droid X will totally smoke it when it comes out as well. Plus...you don't have to learn how to hold it to make phone calls!
    06-27-10 12:01 PM
    That is not their ultimate goal!

What they really want to do is sell and renew service contracts. That's where the real the real money is. Think about it.... I just paid $300 for a $700 iPhone and renewed my contract for 2 more years. I have 2 lines and my line has the $30 per month data plan. My monthly bill averages $120. So how long do you think it'll take ATT to recoup the $400 balance? And these phones are assembled in China. How much do you really think they're worth? I bet less than $300. The rest is all gravy.

Why do you think these companies always have these promotions going on, offering NEW customers real low prices and sometimes, even free phones whey they sign a new contract? They're trying to intice them.

When my contract was up, 2 years ago and I wanted to get my first blackberry, they were offering the same BB to new customers for $49. They would not give me that deal. I threatened to leave ATT and they said that that was up to me (even though I've been a customer since 1997). I had to pay $250 up front, of which $100 was returned to me as a rebate.

What I'm trying to say, is that these devices are exactly that...devices. Devices designed to attract new and keep old customers. That's the reason ATT had to allow their iPhone customers the early upgrade option. They knew that a lot of them would have been pissed off and probably bailed and went elsewhere for the droid or something else.

It would be interesting to know how many new customers ATT gained so far with the iPhone4. You know there were massive contract renewals, mine included.

So no... VZW is not allowing customers to upgrade early to android devices? BECAUSE THEY WANT TO SELL DEVICES. They want to keep the customers they have and renew their contracts. Why make them angry and risk them leaving for the amazing iPhone 4
    I work for AT&T. I'm aware. I didn't think I needed to write a novel to explain what we all know.
    06-27-10 12:34 PM
    Well, if you work for att maybe you could write a novel about the tax on data? I'm not trying to be mean, I just think we all want some insight. But to be mean, what do you do with them, just sell phones?

06-27-10 01:07 PM
    I'm an ATT subscriber mostly because they have always had a device that I have wanted around the time my contract is coming up and throw in the fact that I have 4 lines to pay ETF's on that have kept me aboard.

I have friends on Big Red and they say you don't even need WIFI the network is so strong and that's always intrigued me. When I played with their phones it just seemed like a faster conneciton and experience.

On point now...I think Verizon knows what they are doing not going after the Iphone at this point and I have said and believe that the next 3 years are critical to BB, Apple and Android. I think Android has the opportunity to explode while Apple is a bit limited. I think BB is at risk of falling back into the pack with Samsung and Moto's renewed efforts. Will be interesting to watch and carrier allignment is critical to these platforms success. Verizon is betting it all on Android

06-27-10 03:31 PM
    Just because Verizon says that they're no longer intersted in the iphone doesn't mean that a deal won't happen in the future. Their just focusing on pushing android devices right now. There's still rumors that apple will start building CDMA iphones starting in September and that it will be available to Verizon customers by the holidays. This is just a rumor though. They've been talking about a Verizon iphone since 2007.

06-27-10 03:39 PM
    That rumor will always be there and Apple will have one ready to go if for no other reason than to make sure ATT always gives them everything they want

06-27-10 03:50 PM
    Verizon faster ? RIGHT !

here's PCMag's report of 2010 3G networks... I saw another one a few months ago that tested in 12 cities but can't find it... soon as I can find it... I'll post it too

The Fastest Mobile Networks 2010 - The Fastest Mobile Networks | PCMag.com
    06-27-10 04:18 PM
    Found it.. here's the comprehensive test from back in Feb 2010

AT&T Roars Back in PCWorld’s Second 3G Wireless Performance Test - PCWorld
    06-27-10 04:22 PM
    Verizon faster ? RIGHT !

here's PCMag's report of 2010 3G networks... I saw another one a few months ago that tested in 12 cities but can't find it... soon as I can find it... I'll post it too

The Fastest Mobile Networks 2010 - The Fastest Mobile Networks | PCMag.com
    You can post all the links you want and I've seen the test results...

Having used similar BB devices and testing the same streaming music and video apps in the same locations on both networks, I thought the performance of the Verizon device was better...I know that there are many factors that can influence this but I tested in different parts of the US and this was my perception.

06-27-10 04:25 PM
    Well last year I was with VZW and all across the US as part of a major concert tour, so I was in different major cities daily.... I switched in Dec to ATT ... and since Feb i'm been out on tour once again... and I can tell you 3G wise... ATT is definitely faster... and then of course if you're using a compressed BB browser it might seem faster since it's not a complete HTML browser...

So I know what I'm talking about myself
    06-27-10 04:36 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD