New word on the street now is that this summer WWDC will focus soley on iOS and there will be no new hardware introduction (iPhone 5) like in past years. Rumors have the iPhone 5 pinned for a Fall release.

Some speculate that this is due to Apple working on possibly giving the iPhone 5 4G chips, others simply say Apple wants more time to test and polish the product, another thought is it gives them more time to simply manufacture a ton more before initial release, who really knows at this point?

Only thing is I've been hanging on to my Storm 9530, passing up the iPhone 4 in hopes of securing an iPhone 5 sometime in June or July. This really sucks if it now comes out in the Fall. Having to wait more months isn't going to be fun with a then almost 3 year old Storm with a nonfunctioning call-end key lol.
    03-28-11 04:52 PM
    I'm getting the iPhone4 in the next couple days. The way I look at it is if the change is that revolutionary, I'll sell the iPhone 4. They hold value better than most cell phones, so I can apply that towards the full retail price of the next iPhone.

I couldn't hold out with the issue you are having.
    03-28-11 05:28 PM
    if the pattern holds true as it has in the last few years, it will be released in June/July. I guess we'll just have to play the wait and see game.
    03-28-11 06:47 PM
    I don't know about any patterns this time around. This story is catching steam and is being reported by major news outlets like CNN.

I guess it's good for iOS. If the entire WWDC keynote is dedicated to it, there should be some major changes/improvements on the way. Hopefully a new notifications system.
    03-28-11 07:03 PM
    I have no doubt in my mind that there will be a new notification system. I have a feeling iOS5 will be bringing some awesome new things.
    03-28-11 07:33 PM
    All the OS in the universe won't change the fact that my ip4 has no status/notification light. THAT'S what my ip5 needs to be perfect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-11 10:34 PM
    This is true. And here's an article I found from a reliable source:

Apple to "unveil the future of iOS" at upcoming WWDC | MobileSyrup.com

Apple’s Worldwide Developer Conference 2011 will be happening this year between June 6th – 10th and the rumours are that no new iPhone 5 will be announced, bucking the trend from all the previous years. Apparently the now sold out event will be all out Apple showing of the “future” iOS.

“At this year’s conference we are going to unveil the future of iOS and Mac OS,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “If you are an iOS or Mac OS X software developer, this is the event that you do not want to miss.”

There has been rumours over the past few months that the next gen iPhone will have a bigger display and better camera. Engineering drawings and even possible next-gen iPhone parts showed up online but Gartner analyst Michael Gartenberg says Apple doesn’t want to become to familiar with it’s patterns of announcing devices every June. Gartenberg stated in an interview with the Loop that “You get caught up in patterns, and it holds true, until it doesn’t. There is no reason for Apple to follow a predictable yearly pattern, and it keeps their competition off guard a little bit.”

Having this predictable pattern has proven to be incredibly profitable for Apple over the years. It would be disappointing if Apple didn’t release a new iPhone with a bigger display. All the other major manufacturers have at least one Smartphone with a 4-inch display and Apple not being included in the mix would somewhat have them lagging behind them… which is unlike them.

Source: MobileSyrup.com

Last edited by luqman24; 03-29-11 at 01:08 AM.
    03-29-11 01:03 AM
    CNN passing on the news of a rumor doesn't validate the rumor. If someone leaked the lunch menu for the Cupertino campus cafeteria, most major news outlets would print it with a glowing headline...
    03-29-11 01:58 AM
    All the OS in the universe won't change the fact that my ip4 has no status/notification light. THAT'S what my ip5 needs to be perfect.

Lol. Just let it go man... Walk away from the blinking light.
    It's taken control of you, programmed you.
    BREAK FREE!
    03-29-11 06:32 AM
    ^LOL what is it about that blinking light?!?! I miss it too.

03-29-11 06:37 AM
    LED notifications are nice. I honestly don't miss mine much from Android/BB because of the phantom blinks I would always see.
    03-29-11 09:40 AM
    where are the "I would wait" people now lol.

How many times did someone ask on these forums and others should I get the ip4 now or wait. hah waiting for the next best thing is pointless unless it's a short confirmed release.
    03-29-11 10:45 AM
    Most major tech bolgs are tweeting rumors that iPhone 5 wont arrive till 2012.

Ive had every iPhone release since the first and I'm on the fence about getting iP5.

This is why:

I wasn't too impressed by iPhone4 because although it's a great device still lacks in basic features that competitive devices bring stock.

Biggest Gripe iOS seriously lacks a good notification system and for all it's polish and ease of use the current notification system brings it back 5 years and is simply not competitive in this area.

The 3.5 inch screen was also a disappointment, it was ground breaking for 2007 but not today. High powered phones and small screens are a bad mix, yes I know battery life has to be taken into consideration but after handling and owning devices with larger displays, iPhone's 3.5 is just not big enough to bring a great user experience.

I also feel iOS has run it's course and it needs a complete top to bottom revamp. We still have basically the same UI as in 2007. Lets face it.....it's looking stale.

Apple probably needs time to reinvent something that will "WOW' it's users like back in 2007. Apple claimed that iP4 would "change everything once again" but lets face it, it fell short in many areas.

I'm a big iPhone fan and it was my first real smartphone and will always have a special place in my heart but I'm not going to set myself up for a disappointment like I did last year with iPhone 4. I'll take everything with a grain of salt and wait with skepticism this time around until iPhone 5 announced.
    Last edited by JD914; 03-29-11 at 10:36 PM.
    03-29-11 06:04 PM
    Lol. Just let it go man... Walk away from the blinking light.
    It's taken control of you, programmed you.
    BREAK FREE!
    heeheehoo..... I gotta gotta have it!!!!
    I WON'T REST TILL I HAVE IT!!!!!
    :-)

03-29-11 09:41 PM
    I guess will find in June.
    03-30-11 08:34 AM
    03-30-11 08:40 AM
    I'm wondering if there is some connection between this and the rumors of a new iPad in the Fall.
    ???
    03-30-11 01:05 PM
    This could turn out to be true or maybe not. Only Apple knows. The way I look at it, the iPhone 4 is pretty darn good and still better than any other phone on the market even at 9 months old. If we have to wait 3-6 extra months, we"ll survive
    03-30-11 01:25 PM
    I'm actually more concerned about getting iOS 5 sooner than new hardware. I'm
    hoping that that isn't a whiles away.
    03-30-11 01:37 PM
    I'm actually more concerned about getting iOS 5 sooner than new hardware. I'm
    hoping that that isn't a whiles away.
    It would make it much easier for us to hold off on new hardware if we were to get iOS 5 sooner than later
    03-30-11 01:42 PM
    Maybe they'll announce the iphone mini. saw rumors of it somewhere on the interweb sometime back.
    03-30-11 04:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD