Was just trying to set up iCloud and it won't run on XP. Has to be a PC machine running Vista or Win7. My machine is a home build I did, other than being slower than what's out there now, it's a trouble free build. I've been shopping new computers, along with Windows PCs have been looking at Macs off and on for a year now, but never took the leap. Maybe the i4S will be the launch pad for that. However, if I got a Mac I was going to do a dual boot with XP, have far too much $ invested in software that won't run on a higher Windows OS.

Anyway, it's not going to be a terrible thing, but am a little disappointed. This is the first time I've not been able to install an app due to the OS I'm running...
    10-18-11 08:14 AM
    Your question encouraged me to visit icloud.com - I too run XP (SP3 on an 'old' netbook)

Now, on Wednesday of last week - during the whole roll-out of iOS 5 and iCloud, I found I couldn't sign onto the online iCloud site. Today, when I went there, it let me set up my applicable Apple ID and allowed me to open the applicable 'apps'.

I had but one issue setting up iCloud on my devices (iPhone and iPad) initially - a choice of which Apple ID to use - but I got past that and both seem to be communicating with 'the cloud' and - when desired - my iTunes without issue.

Maybe I've just lucked out in general - I'm reading lots of reports of 'issues' with the download, install and reinitialization of the iOS and, by extension, iCloud, but that doesn't seem to be my case.
    10-18-11 08:41 AM
    Your question encouraged me to visit icloud.com - I too run XP (SP3 on an 'old' netbook)

Now, on Wednesday of last week - during the whole roll-out of iOS 5 and iCloud, I found I couldn't sign onto the online iCloud site. Today, when I went there, it let me set up my applicable Apple ID and allowed me to open the applicable 'apps'.

I had but one issue setting up iCloud on my devices (iPhone and iPad) initially - a choice of which Apple ID to use - but I got past that and both seem to be communicating with 'the cloud' and - when desired - my iTunes without issue.

Maybe I've just lucked out in general - I'm reading lots of reports of 'issues' with the download, install and reinitialization of the iOS and, by extension, iCloud, but that doesn't seem to be my case.
    I'm running it fine in my VirtualBox with the same xp build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-18-11 09:30 AM
    Thank you both, I'll download iCloud to my PC and give it a try anyway.

That's a loop I can't seem to get out of on the i4S itself. Whether I use my regular iTunes ID & PW or let Apple create a new ID for iCloud, I can't get past the initial sign up/ sign in phase. Either of them keep getting rejected for something along the lines of 'ID not recognized' or 'password incorrect' even tho I've signed into iTunes with the same info and zero issues.
    10-18-11 11:58 AM
    XP is 10 years old, get with the times.
    10-18-11 01:48 PM
    XP is 10 years old, get with the times.
    Yeah, but it works.

Actually, it was an Apple Store Business Client Rep who suggested I go with the iPad (for my mobile business needs) rather than an entirely new notebook. As my XP netbook - while a whole 2 years old - can still create documents in Word, go on the net, view and create emails (with attachments), play and edit video and do basic photo manipulation, buying an Air (which seemed to fit with my desire to stick with a small, mobile footprint) or something bigger would have been overkill and he had the wit to acknowledge this.

For significantly less than this, I have the added mobility and (most) of the functionality I was looking at - as, perhaps, a transitional device until my netbook craps out.

Buying the new and shiny is all very well and good if, a) you have the money, b) you're actually gaining something in doing so, c) you're prone to buy what you're told to or, d) a bit of a tech fashion victim.

But all my bits and pieces work fine together. So I'd 'get with the times' exactly why?
    lssanjose likes this.
    10-18-11 02:58 PM
    Yeah, but it works.

Actually, it was an Apple Store Business Client Rep who suggested I go with the iPad (for my mobile business needs) rather than an entirely new notebook. As my XP netbook - while a whole 2 years old - can still create documents in Word, go on the net, view and create emails (with attachments), play and edit video and do basic photo manipulation, buying an Air (which seemed to fit with my desire to stick with a small, mobile footprint) or something bigger would have been overkill and he had the wit to acknowledge this.

For significantly less than this, I have the added mobility and (most) of the functionality I was looking at - as, perhaps, a transitional device until my netbook craps out.

Buying the new and shiny is all very well and good if, a) you have the money, b) you're actually gaining something in doing so, c) you're prone to buy what you're told to or, d) a bit of a tech fashion victim.

But all my bits and pieces work fine together. So I'd 'get with the times' exactly why?
    My laptop is five years, rolling on Slackware Linux

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    10-18-11 03:16 PM
    That's a loop I can't seem to get out of on the i4S itself. Whether I use my regular iTunes ID & PW or let Apple create a new ID for iCloud, I can't get past the initial sign up/ sign in phase. Either of them keep getting rejected for something along the lines of 'ID not recognized' or 'password incorrect' even tho I've signed into iTunes with the same info and zero issues.
    In my situation, it all goes back to pre-iPhone for me.

I had an iTunes account before I ever got my iPhone. When I got it (iPhone 4) I wanted to set up the 'Find My iPhone' capability thru Mobile.Me, but try as we (me and the Apple Store clerk) might, we couldn't get the registration for this to accept the current Apple ID. In the end, we created a new ID (and password) which seemed to work, but this account was only ever intended for the 'Find My iPhone'. My old account stayed with the iTunes Store and was the ID I used to continue to buy/manipulate my stuff there.

With the reboot into iOS 5 and the setup for iCloud, it again wouldn't accept my 'real' ID and so I resorted to using the Mobile.Me one. This worked - except that I then discovered I had to go into Settings > Store and sign out of that account and then sign into my real one to access my apps and settings.

So my iCloud account and all its features (and Find my iPhone / iPad) is now tied to one account ID and the day-to-day stuff tied to another.

Mon Dieu!

I'm guessing I could probably merge these somehow, but why screw with something that seems to be working. IIABDFI (If It Ain't Broke....).
    10-18-11 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD