03-15-12 08:55 AM
28 12
tools
    Okay, so I'm still getting to grips with the new OS, but could there be anything more pointless than Newsstand?

Being its own folder app, you can't place it in another folder (in my case, one called 'Junk Drawer'), while it really could be just a part of iBooks. Meanwhile (and I'll grant you it's early days yet, so not sure how publishers are going to react), its selection of news products is woefully small and, for the most part, expensive. I guess the expensive part comes with them dealing with the Apple Tax levied for the privilege of 'in app' billing. Certainly there are few reviews to suggest the offerings are going over gangbusters, either.

Frankly, I'd be more inclined (if inclined at all) to use the newsstand features on sites like Kobo and use their readers, even if this means they won't be magically streamed to my device first thing in the morning.

Another abortive attempt by Apple to compete with other devices' apps out there. Pity.
    10-17-11 04:43 PM
    im sorry .. but incase u didnt notice.. theres a website for apple product holders... this is for blackberries.....
    10-17-11 05:07 PM
    im sorry .. but incase u didnt notice.. theres a website for apple product holders... this is for blackberries.....
    Actually this is for Apple folks - stupid.
    Rockdog97 likes this.
    10-17-11 05:20 PM
    ...but we digress...
    10-17-11 06:11 PM
    I'm sorry YOU FAIL!
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    10-17-11 06:24 PM
    FYI...u can put newsstand icon inside a folder. I put mine inside utilities folder
    10-17-11 07:13 PM
    You sure? iBooks yes, newsstand no...
    10-17-11 07:24 PM
    Im pretty sure all you can do with newstands is put it on page 5 lol.
    10-17-11 07:32 PM
    No I found a way to do it online without jailbreak...mine is in utilities
    10-17-11 07:35 PM
    EDIT: Got IT !!!! Worked for me as well. You have to start a new folder and do it asap.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/13/...d-in-a-folder/

Id doesnt show up on the mini screen, and it will not launch if you do it this way
    Last edited by D2VW14_20; 10-17-11 at 07:42 PM.
    10-17-11 07:37 PM
    yeah here u go buddy. did this since friday.

Attachment 95413

Attachment 95414
    10-17-11 07:44 PM
    Yea, only crappy part is it cannot launch frrom there. But atleast its out of the way.
    10-17-11 07:49 PM
    No worries I don't use it so I dont care for it...I'm surprised many of u didn't know of this. I read about this since friday morning
    10-17-11 07:51 PM
    Meh I was pissed about it until my NYT app was put in it (when it updated the other day). Now it's a lot less annoying.
    10-17-11 08:40 PM
    To the OP. It sucks AND blows. It just pollutes my beautiful screen real estate. LOL.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 02:50 AM
    So, the workaround is to create a folder that I don't already have (or otherwise need) in order to hide the Newsstand app folder?

Pointless and counter-intuitive, n'est pas?
    10-18-11 06:38 AM
    My company just made us switch from Blackberry's to I-Phone (4S). It is amazing that anyone would buy such a piece of crap. I know people complain about BB's from time-to-time, but RIM should hammer Apple hard. I would be a spokesman against Apple. Let's see what is wrong besides not being intuitive to use.
    All the common sense features you expect a phone to have (and your BB already has) are non-existent with the Apple Phone. It is clear the I-phone is meant for teens and non-business people due to the clumsy, inefficient way things must be done to manage your email.
    1. Auto dimmer - not unless you active auto lock
    2. Ability to select phone ring or vibrate with one touch - NOT
    3. Ability to adjust order of mailboxes or separate them out on BB - NOT
    4. Password protect phone on demand via a single icon on the home screen - NOT
    5. Message indicator light – NOT
    6. Enlarge the FONT on email in portrait mode is it fits on the screen – NOT automatically and not easily
    7. No BES to allow you to delete emails off your blackberry without losing them elsewhere.
    8. My BB had a battery life of 24 hours. This piece of crap is lucky to get 8 hours.

Get down on your knees and thank God for your Blackberry and the fact that you are not forced to use a phone that chooses form over function. Save yourselves and run from the I-Phone. It really is a rotten Apple.
    03-13-12 08:57 AM
    That's your 2nd post here? You're going to get smeared, you know... I have to head to work, but real quick, your #2: look on left side of phone (that's the side of the body). See silver button. Slide silver button down. See red line above silver button. Your phone has now gone from ring to vibrate mode.
    03-13-12 09:21 AM
    Im pretty sure all you can do with newstands is put it on page 5 lol.
    I do. It's always on the last page of icons.

It is clear the I-phone is meant for teens and non-business people due to the clumsy, inefficient way things must be done to manage your email.

5. Message indicator light NOT
    1-3 Don't bother me.

4. Enable password lock then with one hit of a button, lock your phone. Problem solved.
    5. Why is this such a big deal?

8. My BB had a battery life of 24 hours. This piece of crap is lucky to get 8 hours.
    On the weekends when I don't stream at work, I get over 15 hours worth of usage. I'm a texting ***** and send a lot of emails and still get great battery life. My S2 is dead before the sun goes down.

Get down on your knees and thank God for your Blackberry and the fact that you are not forced to use a phone that chooses form over function. Save yourselves and run from the I-Phone. It really is a rotten Apple.
    I prefer to use a phone that works when its supposed to, gets regular app updates and doesn't brick constantly.
    03-13-12 09:47 AM
    My company just made us switch from Blackberry's to I-Phone (4S). It is amazing that anyone would buy such a piece of crap. I know people complain about BB's from time-to-time, but RIM should hammer Apple hard. I would be a spokesman against Apple. Let's see what is wrong besides not being intuitive to use.
    All the common sense features you expect a phone to have (and your BB already has) are non-existent with the Apple Phone. It is clear the I-phone is meant for teens and non-business people due to the clumsy, inefficient way things must be done to manage your email.
    6. Enlarge the FONT on email in portrait mode is it fits on the screen NOT automatically and not easily
    7. No BES to allow you to delete emails off your blackberry without losing them elsewhere.

Please read the manual that comes with your iPhone.
    03-13-12 09:50 AM
    6. Enlarge the FONT on email in portrait mode is it fits on the screen NOT automatically and not easily

You must be a RIM stockholder. FYI, a good percentage of iPhone users came over from BlackBerry. I used about 15 different models over a five year span. RIM does not come close to iOS, especially the i4 and 4S. Soon the sinking ship known as Research In Motion will be a distant memory, and Apple Inc will continue to dominate.
    03-13-12 09:56 AM
    It is completely pointless, useless and rubbish. I actually deleted the Engadget "distro" app when they converted it to use newsstand. Every time I see that hideous bookshelf I want to punch a baby.
    03-13-12 08:37 PM

Well I'm a business person so perhaps it's just not made for you...
    03-13-12 09:43 PM

You know, I'm a BB fan. I prefer BBerries over anything else, but I'm open to other platforms.
    This kind of post is just as bad as those that bash BBerries.
    Trolls go both ways.
    03-14-12 05:57 AM
    You know, I'm a BB fan. I prefer BBerries over anything else, but I'm open to other platforms.
    This kind of post is just as bad as those that bash BBerries.
    Trolls go both ways.
    You are the first BB fan I've seen on CB admit that trolling goes both ways.
    03-14-12 08:11 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD