Hi,

I've been with blackberries since last 4 years... just switched to the iphone.

1. I travel v.frequently + get close to 100-125 emails per day - many of them with attachments. So i'm concerned about cost of all the heavy downloads when roaming.

I called up apple care and they infd me that if i keep a preview to 5 lines - and if i DONT OPEN THE MESSAGE, the attachments will not be downloaded.

Is that correct?

Is there any other way to manage this to keep costs in control?
    Or is it that the attachments dont download ...
    Does anybody have this experience ESPECIALLy WHEN ROAMING..

2. I missed the "push" email - so i've subscribed to Mobileme.
    But i'm not able to understand how to configure it to use my pop3 email id. I just use 1 email id. I cannot give a new email address to all my contacts.

Tried to google this and there were some complicated suggestions about tweaking settings and changing a/cs. I could'nt understand that. Is there a simpler way around?

3. When the email is pushed via Mobileme does it load up faster? Although i get the notification immediately, it still takes the same time to load. Am i missing something? When a message is pushed, i guess the entire message or a decent first part of it would have been pushed right?

Very grateful for the help - thank you.
    01-28-10 02:56 PM
    Hi,

I've been with blackberries since last 4 years... just switched to the iphone.

1. I travel v.frequently + get close to 100-125 emails per day - many of them with attachments. So i'm concerned about cost of all the heavy downloads when roaming.

I called up apple care and they infd me that if i keep a preview to 5 lines - and if i DONT OPEN THE MESSAGE, the attachments will not be downloaded.

Is that correct?

Is there any other way to manage this to keep costs in control?
    Or is it that the attachments dont download ...
    Does anybody have this experience ESPECIALLy WHEN ROAMING..

2. I missed the "push" email - so i've subscribed to Mobileme.
    But i'm not able to understand how to configure it to use my pop3 email id. I just use 1 email id. I cannot give a new email address to all my contacts.

Tried to google this and there were some complicated suggestions about tweaking settings and changing a/cs. I could'nt understand that. Is there a simpler way around?

3. When the email is pushed via Mobileme does it load up faster? Although i get the notification immediately, it still takes the same time to load. Am i missing something? When a message is pushed, i guess the entire message or a decent first part of it would have been pushed right?

Very grateful for the help - thank you.
    You can turn of the "Image download" in email settings. That way you won't have to worry about pictures using a lot of data. As far as attachments, they don't actually download until to tap on it to download. You can see that there is an attachment but it won't download unless you select it.

The easiest way I know to get all your emails via mobileme from your other accounts is to have all your emails forwarded to your mobileme account. So once someone emails you it's pushed to your mobile address and then pushed to your device.
    01-28-10 03:41 PM
    Thank you for replying - appreciate it...
    Still in doubts.. maybe i should reframe my questions...

1. Attachments
    - - do u mean put off "load remote images"?

2. Mobile me
    - - i have 1 email id .... self@self.com
    - - now i've subscribed to self@me.com
    - - so i've forwarded all emails from self@self.com to self@me.com...

a when i get an email, i click on REPLY .. and then choose FROM as self@self.com.
    b but the problem is that even self@self.com downloads emails.

- - is there anyway to stop self@self.com from downloading?
    - - if i try to make it INACTIVE then i lose the option of FROM in mobileme.
    - - i dont want to change my email id to self@me.com
    (its fine when i'm not roaming... .but when i'm roaming i'm downloading everything twice.... )
    01-28-10 09:35 PM
    Thank you for replying - appreciate it...
    Still in doubts.. maybe i should reframe my questions...

1. Attachments
    - - do u mean put off "load remote images"?

2. Mobile me
    - - i have 1 email id .... self@self.com
    - - now i've subscribed to self@me.com
    - - so i've forwarded all emails from self@self.com to self@me.com...

a when i get an email, i click on REPLY .. and then choose FROM as self@self.com.
    b but the problem is that even self@self.com downloads emails.

- - is there anyway to stop self@self.com from downloading?
    - - if i try to make it INACTIVE then i lose the option of FROM in mobileme.
    - - i dont want to change my email id to self@me.com
    (its fine when i'm not roaming... .but when i'm roaming i'm downloading everything twice.... )
    1. No I mean attachments. Like if someone sends you a file or something, it doesn't download until you actually select it. Also changing the "Load images" stops picture from downloading automatically.

2. Here's what you do. Go into the email settings and under the account should say "Fetch new data". So there and then Advanced. For your "Self" email and change it to manual. So it will not longer fetch or push email to that account. The only way it will retrieve is if you open it up and refresh. So your mobile me account should be on push and all your emails will go there and you can reply from either address.
    01-29-10 11:49 AM
    if your doing that many emails a day, its just better to keep the berry, you'll be thankful in the long run
    01-29-10 03:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD